[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give her the AMD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: get hype.png (90 KB, 1600x726) Image search: [Google]
get hype.png
90 KB, 1600x726
Looking at the frankly stagnant CPU market, I can't help but think that AMD is the real innovator here, their current architecture sucks tho

I really hope that the next generation of chips actually delivers on their promises, the thing I want most is an APU with 8+ cores and the significantly higher IPC that they are promising

Finally there might be a compelling reason to upgrade from three, four, even five year old processors

Do you faggots want more intel core i-whatever shit?

Or do you want the glorious innovator AMD to save us all?
>>
>>54433770
everything about zen is purely speculation, for now until amd releases hard data. So either buy skylake/kabylake now or wait for zen when/if it comes out
>>
not an AMD hater. But it is over.
>>
File: 0047 - i50AZzg.png (32 KB, 381x339) Image search: [Google]
0047 - i50AZzg.png
32 KB, 381x339
>mfw upgrading to zen, new mobo, and ddr4 ram in Q4
>mfw 8 cores and faster than i7
>>
>>54433770
APUs are probably going to be the four core options with the gpu on die, similar to how intel is doing it now (1151/2011sockets), just the 8core variants are on the same socket and expected to be pushed more towards the mainstream with zen

Where the shit is the AM4 platform release. I just want the motherboards to paper launch so I know what's going to be available.
>>
>>54433770
Meh...unless your building a mega gaymen PC or you have a professional need you aren't going to notice much difference between an Intel and current AMD chips.

If you start pushing it mind you it becomes evident quickly but the vast majority of users likely could give two hot shits.

Hell my secondary PC is using a fucking AM1 chip and its great for day to day bullshit and light gaming.

As far as Zen is concerned as long as it's better than butt-dozer it'll be fine. Intel needs competition to be better anyway.

I'll prolly replace my AM1 with a cheap end zen when it comes out and a new gpu. Once VR takes off the extra power may be needed.

In the meantime I'm gonna go play games on good details with a 35 dollar CPU and a 120 dollar GPU. Shit works great. To be fair with AMD prices I made my parents and my nephew new PCs for gifts...I don't even notice the costs at that price, its basically a non issue.
>>
>>54434560
I have a feeling the low end for zen is only going to be excavator based carrizo chips for a while if they're not manufacturing 4core dies for a while. Unless they can laser off 4 cores, but that shows bad yields which no one wants.
>>
File: .jpg (28 KB, 801x534) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
28 KB, 801x534
>>54434284
>mfw 8 cores and faster than i7

mfw 8 cores as fast as a low end i5.
>>
>>54435035
Then I'll just wait...secretly hoping as they update the last of the fm2 shit they toss AM1 a last bone...but I fuckin doubt it.

Eventually I'll get a new low power update... Until then my sub 300 build is still kicking ass.
>>
>>54435331
That doesn't even make sense. i5 cores are exactly the same as i7 cores, just feature locked by software or lasered off.

Zen is going to be a hit, trust me anon. 40% improvement strictly from hardware throughput, 20-30% improvement from a more conventional design that doesn't require very particular software optimization.
>>
>>54433770
>the thing I want most is an APU with 8+ cores and the significantly higher IPC that they are promising
That isn't happening, so keep on wishing.

>>54434206
This is not speculation:
Zen on average displays 40% higher IPC than Excavator
AMD's Zen based Opterons will be competitive in 80% of common enterprise workloads, and lose out in 20% Read: FPU heavy ops
Consumer Summit Ridge CPUs will probably do moderately well against Haswell-E and newer intel chips in strict int ops, while more heavy FPU ops and large vectors won't be anywhere near par. That is to be expected though. Anyone who thought AMD was going to come out of the gate matching intel's utter moster FPU is just retarded, and Su's statement about their new enterprise chips only confirms this.

>>54435035
>I have a feeling the low end for zen is only going to be excavator based carrizo chips for a while
This statement makes no sense whatsoever. Pull your shit together.

>>54435521
Stop trying to give people false hope and conflate things you don't understand.
Zen has 40% higher IPC than Excavator, IPC in itself is not performance. Performance depends on how the chips are clocked, and if you think they're going to be 30% faster than Carrizo/Bristol Ridge you are only fooling yourself.

8 core Summit Ridge isn't going to be pushing high clocks, 14nm LPP isn't pure magic, and Zen coresn't aren't that small. 8 core dies will likely have a base clock around 3ghz with several very aggressive turbo states that are utilized as thermal margin allows. This is the same tech they've put in their recent APU, though they never got much attention for it.

Everyone ITT needs to keep in mind that Summit Ridge is competing against the i7 Extreme line. They are not tackling mainstream i7s and i5s with moderately clocked 8core/16 thread work horses.
>>
File: certified shit wrecker.jpg (13 KB, 381x286) Image search: [Google]
certified shit wrecker.jpg
13 KB, 381x286
bump
>>
File: comodiceelniños.jpg (56 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
comodiceelniños.jpg
56 KB, 500x375
>>54433770
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnn0rgDaSro
>>
never forgetti amd master plan to delete nvida from existence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ktLeS4Fwlw
>>
File: ma nigga.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
ma nigga.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
>>54437243
>we will patiently wait...
>UNTIL EVERYTHING BECOMES REDDDDDDD
>>
>>54437231
>>54437243
>>54437264
seriously now, i just cant understand why so many people support a company that lies to their customers on their faces...
AMD FTW fuckerz
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.