[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many HDD have died on anons? The only one that Iv witnessed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9
File: 81rt4.jpg (449 KB, 1600x1187) Image search: [Google]
81rt4.jpg
449 KB, 1600x1187
How many HDD have died on anons? The only one that Iv witnessed to die was a external portable HDD for all my back-files... yet the one I'v been using my my PC for 7 years is still going.

SSD will be in my comp sooner or later.
>>
been using the same 1.5tb seagate for almost 10 years. sometimes it starts to click but then i just shake it and then it works again
>>
I've only had a 320 gb maxtor drive die.
>>
I'm still running a 10yo 160GB HDD on my crappy eee netbook I sometimes use (which saw heavy use years ago), don't know when it's gonna grenade itself but so far i haven't encountered any problems
>>
not a single one but tons of thumb drives and sd cards
>>
I will be honest OP. I have NEVER had a HD die on me. normal or ssd. I even took out one form an external HD and it lives today. I been lucky I guess. Only thing that has ever die don me was a PSU from a super used shittop i got long ago
>>
>>54431237
Had a 1 TB HDD die on me after I used it for 4 years straight as both OS and data, for 8+ hours a day every day. And it didn't even die on me right away, it was after I got a new PC and was just using it to fuck around with that it finally started to flake out. It didn't completely die but copying data to/from it took 10 times longer. WD Black.
>>
I've had 1 internal hdd completely fail on me and I have another external dying, both because of power issues in my shitty laptop
>>
>>54431237
I have one 12 year old 80gb that still working fine, no bad blocks and no SMART. Bunt I have another 4 years old 500gb that I use as external, it has a bunch of bad blocks and crashes sometimes, but still working (I think it got damaged by not removing safely on Windows)
>>
zero

80GB WD from 2004 going stronk
320GB WD from 2006 going stronk
640GB WD from 2008 going stronk but does a lot of noise, prolly gonna die
500GB ntb WD from 2009 going stronk
1TB external WD from 2010 going stronk
2TB WD from 2015 going stronk

other random notebooks I have lying around - none HDD died in them

I am almost scared
>>
Two, an old one from my 1st ever pc, it was an 500gb seagate (was SATA). And a laptop drive
>>
sudo badblocks -sv /dev/sda
>>
>>54431237
Zero. Have 20gb barracuda, 300gb seagate slim., 80gb samsung, 300gb samsung, 500gb samsung, 4tb HGST - all working without problems
>>
>>54431237

all of them toshiba DT series.
>>
File: 20150907_084259-Optimized.jpg (140 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
20150907_084259-Optimized.jpg
140 KB, 1440x810
both hard drives in my 1980's toshibas are still working fine. SSD a shit
>>
>>54431283
Please tell me you have a backup
>>
>>54431532
you have a backup
>>
>>54431547
Thank you. I needed that
>>
>>54431532
Yea, it's a few months old though.
>>
from 1998 to 2012 not a single failure. drives just got replaced by becoming obsolete. from then on ive amassed a small mountain of dead shitty wd drives fuck you western digital and a 5tb toshiba that died within a week of its warranty running out, i may be cursed also
>>
Mostly hard drives from my childhood, where my builds were made from stolen parts from the library/school/hospital my mom worked at, and they were all fucking Maxtors. I have NEVER had a hard drive die on me that wasn't a Maxtor, I have Quantum and Connor drives that still work to this day, but all my Maxtors are dead, and I praise G-d that none of my WD's have died ever since I vowed to never buy a Maxtor again in 2006
>>
never had one die of old age, ive had one break when i dropped my laptop before

the 4gb hard drive in my R30 is probably close to death though, it makes alot of clicking
>>
>>54431525
I bet they're built like bricks.
>>
>>54431597
Re-do it before you lose something important
>>
not a single one, most of them are just sitting around now, a couple are in external mounts.

on the other hand my parents have had at least 5 die on them, always call me over there to fix their piece of shit computers, covered in papers, filled with dust, bogged down with hundreds of viruses
>>
One 500 gb maxtor drive.
>>
>>54432877
In context, it was the only failure I have had out of 13 mixed HDD's that still work.
>>
>>54431237
I've only had three hard drives die on me ever. Two were iPod hard-drives (slipped and fell, crushing one, and the other started failing and eventually died with the head crashing). The last one was a laptop hard-drive that stopped booting properly and I couldn't reliably access the media anymore, dunno what exactly was happening. Got lucky enough to copy everything to my external.

Other than that, never had an HDD fail before the rest of the machine died or I got rid of the computer.
>>
>>54431452
Your immortal HDDs are evidence of the evolution of HDD capacities from 2004-present
>>
None, I have one that is 12 years old and still works
>>
>>54431237
One. And that was thanks to me plugging my gtx 670 and i7 870 into a generic 860w psu.

Killed the hard disk and psu, but everything else was fine thankfully.
>>
Only one shitty green friendly seagate, never going green again
>>
2 or 3 ever. 1 was because I dropped a mug on it.
>>
>>54431237
I only had one ever die which I had dropped onto concrete from a height of 3 ft.
>>
File: 1458004590976.gif (719 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
1458004590976.gif
719 KB, 500x384
>>54435859
>generic 860w psu.
Lucky your house didn't burn down.
>>
In this century, only one. A little bronze statue of a cat fell off the desk and landed square on top of an external hard drive.

In the '90s, I had quite a few, because being a kid I'd scrounge around for old parts, all of my hard drives were hand-me-downs and shit.
>>
File: dead drives.jpg (145 KB, 816x612) Image search: [Google]
dead drives.jpg
145 KB, 816x612
Pic related. The seagate I was able to recover the data from by borrowing a controller from another drive of the same model. The samsung was not so lucky, but it didn't have anything that couldn't just be re-downloaded on it. Both took a lot of abuse though, used mainly in external docks for transferring between machines.

Ages ago (beige era) I had a maxtor or something start to go, but that was more gradual and I replaced it before it died completely.
>>
>>54431237
Let me tell you all a story on why you should NEVER BUY FROM SEAGATE

>Order seagate 6tb drive from amazon
>first one was DOA, get another one sent
>second one works fine for 1 year and 1 month
>all DATA IS LOST
>warranty is expired by 1 month
>fml
>>
>>54436058
Ikr. Just a loud pop and everything stopped spinning
>>
>>54436418
>not living in europe where everything has a 2 year warranty unless you fucked it up yourself by smashing it like the hulk smashed ur mum
>>
>>54431237

i've actually had more sata ports fail than actual hard drives.
>>
Which drives are the most reliable, I've been thinking of getting WD Reds for the longest time
I need at least 4TB for my backups
>>
>>54436418
>buying desktop class drives from any manufacturer
>>
>>54437111
Hitachi, hands down - But expensive

if 4tb or over, WD is actually below Seagate.
>>
>>54431237

Three died seagate hdds in past few years, one was old 160GB and other brand new 1TB that was replaced and that one died also within two weeks.

WD and others never died on me so I guess not seagate ever again not even once.

I also have one Kingston SSD that died on me after 6 months because of manufacturing error and they did not even want to admit it at first. Couple of old OCZ vertex 2s and a cheap Patriot SSD strangly still work with no problems. Also have had 3 Kingston microSD cards die on me so maybe it's not as good brand as it once was. They were not the cheapest ones either so i'm not too happy when 2 times cheaper stuff still work better after long time and kingston shit breaks down in under a year.
>>
>>54437131
This
>>
i'm not a power user, but only 1 western digital drive died on me. 7200rpm ata 133 100gb and it took 8 years. that drive moved through 3 desktop systems. it was like a pet. :(
>>
I have computers from ~2001 that still have fully functional hard drives
>>
>>54431237
A metric ton of old IDE and SCSI drives that got driven straight into the ground at work back in the day.
>>
funny story actually

In 8th grade, I switched schools and they required you to buy a mac laptop. Despite my protests, I had to save up quite a lot of money to get one. The hard drive failed in less than a month. Luckily, it was under warranty and they didnt have any replacement drives except for a high end 1tb drive which i got for free. I was a litle pissed at the time but it still runs now.
>>
>>54437131
nothing is below Seagate
>>
I've seen one external HDD die, had to save it no matter what. Still finding someone to help though.
>>
>>54438035
incorrect, as of 4TB drives - WD is in fact below Seagate, but hitachi is above all, but expensive
>>
>>54437131
Is HGST still Hitachi?
>>
>>54438787
yes theyre the same
>>
recently my 7 years external WD drive has been shitting out on me, it's oddly specific about which files i can transfer and can't

other than that everything still werks, 9 year old lacie external drive, 7 year old seagate laptop hdd
>>
>>54435941
I believe the problem with those is they slow down or stop when they're gone unused for a few minutes. Need something to poke it when you're not using i.
>>
>>54431237
none, I've always upgraded to something new before that could ever happen. Also everything semi important is backed up by a cloud service.

However I was once retarded enough to buy a used Fantom external hard drive to seed torrents. Shit died within 4-6 months, reason was because it overheated. I had that thing on 24/7.

I also have 2 WD external hard drives and both 2.0 cables lose connection if you dangle the usb cords.
>>
>>54431749
>G-d
What are ya, bud? Some religious nut that doesn't want to say God's name in vain or something?

Also, thank God my IDE Maxtor drive from 2001 is still running.
>>
Exactly zero.
I still sometimes use my trusty 40gb IDE WD in a usb 1.0 hdd enclosure when i can't find any flash drives in the house.
>>
>Maxtor
>>
Two external portable HDDs some time ago. One was 250gb and the other 500gb. The 500gb one still "werks", but the transfer speed is under 1Mb/s and it makes a strange sound when in use.

I still have a 12y old HDD on a laptop that still works good, and a 10y old Samsung one in a desktop I still use that I have absolutely no problems with (sometimes it's even faster than my current WD Black one, and strangely the W7 is booting very fast, in like 20 seconds).
>>
>>54437026
It's BASICALLY just 1 year though. The law says 2, but in the second year YOU have to prove that you didn't fuck up, not the manufacturer.

So you're basically at the grace of the manufacturer/vendor.

That's why I still love warranty directly from the manufacturer. Basic warranty from law is fine and all but it's also a bitch to send your shit back to the vendor, wait for new things to ship etc.

My Dell monitor had bad pixels after 3 months and I could've sent it back to Amazon but I didn't even bother because Dell sent me a new one before I even had to send back the old one
>>
never had those problems
i don't use WD
>>
in the 13 years that i have been using magnetic drives i have not had a single one die on me or corrupt. but that being said i have never kept a single drive longer that 8 years
>>
Back in the day I owned some deathstars about 5 of them died on me. I just bought one of those though the rest were warranty replacements
>>
>>54431237
Since I started using computers 20 years ago I have in total had one HDD fail. And the computer I'm on right now has HDDs that are at least 8-12 years old.

The one that did fail was a 2.5 inch drive in my ultraportable laptop. It had a buggy screen connection which made me shake the laptop and slam it into the table to make the screen work on a frequent basis. It still took several months before the drive finally died, obviously due to blunt force trauma. I believe that almost all drives that fail do so due to physical abuse.
>>
>>54431237
I had 3 die

1 maxtor 40 GB (to be fair i ran that thing into the ground) (backed up on 50 CD's no worrys

1 Samsung 60 (dunno why but died in 2 months werid)
1 Fujitsu 120gb (Old, readhead failure but back up thank goodness)
1WD (died as soon as the warrenty expired)

5 flash drives died again all backed up anyway.
I measured it took 3 years for one to die so i buy one every 3 years from then on
to be fair it was the 128MB flash drives they where all really faulty no matter the brand really sad really ( if kids are woundering those flash drives where all the rage with USB MP3 players existed , I loved mine I'm sad now )

Most flash drives now-a-days now last 5years+
>>
I'm this guy >>54440779
*4 die ....I'm too tired.
P.S. i think the 60gb samsung might of got stuck by lighting (aka over voltage)

and before you ask yes i lived on a hill at the time.
>>
>>54431438
>it got damaged by not removing safely on Windows

Can this really happen?
>>
>>54440827
on the old sata one's yes. they we're niot really plug and play it was only sorta thats why they didn't last long lol.
>>
>>54431237
Never. Well, once. My second-ever hard drive, a 128Gb hand me down, died not long after I received it. Every other drive I've ever owned still works.

HOWEVER

The only SSD I've ever owned, a 1Tb Samsung 850 Pro, died after three months of ownership. 100% bricked.
>>
File: 1462597982015.jpg (46 KB, 424x505) Image search: [Google]
1462597982015.jpg
46 KB, 424x505
I have a ton of dead 2.5" WD Blues and now even my 2.5" Seagate drives are dying
>>
>>54440869
>1Tb Samsung 850 Pro
100% bricked

do what i did and just plug in power and not the data cable and just leave it for 30 seconds on power on
then after that unplug the power and plug in the data cable wait again for again 30 sec

after that plug in again all the connectors and power up the SSD

it should work again and this time unbrick it self
go find a updated firmware and install that then try coping files again.
>>
As the family computer guy I've only seen a drive die once. It was a Maxtor 128GB 3.5" IDE drive. Shit started clicking, got slow and committed sudoku.
>>
>>54440932
Already tried that, trust me. I scoured the internet looking for a way to unfuck the thing to no avail.
>>
>>54440984
it must be faulty you should of RMA'd it.
>>
I have 9 active drives right now and none have failed. None of my drives in the past have failed either.

Yes, one of them is a recertified Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb and it still just werks.
>>
>>54441435
4x4tb WD meme reds and 3x3tb Toshiba's

Reds are slow and overpriced as fuck.
>>
none
>>
>>54431237
only one and that's because I dropped it while it was running
>>
Recently transferred all the data from my old HDDs to my 4 TB external drive, and the only one the system wouldn't recognize was a 40 GB 5400 RPM Maxtor HDD from 2001 (came with a prebuilt PC).
>>
>>54431237
I know right?

i swear HDD's dying is just a meme. I've never had one die on me and i have a 1TB still going strong after 7 years.
>>
the only things i've ever had fail were some cheapass externals, which isn't a big surprise, and a fuckton of 3tb seagates.

when i say fuckton, i'm talking 12+ dying over the span of 2-3 years. i filled a NAS with them because they were the largest available at the time and they're all gone. some 4tb's are humming along without a single hitch, but man, fuck those 3tb models. fuck them forever.

i'll never touch the 6tb models out now, either. maybe the 8's or 10's, as long as they're immediate drop-in replacements for my current drives.
>>
One WD Black had 1 or 2 bad sectors just before 5 year warranty was over and got it RMA'd

Except for a 320 GB Maxtor on my parents pc I sell old drives when I get new ones. No point in having 5 small drives instead of 1 big
>>
File: Untitled.png (58 KB, 1059x673) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
58 KB, 1059x673
in my current rig:

>old ass MAXTOR Diamondmax 22 500gb, bought new (at the time). used in 3 or 4 different builds as OS drive
>even older Seagate Barracuda 1tb SATA 1 drive, used mostly as a backup
>fucking 160gb WD SATA1 drive I ripped from a DVR when I was like 13

other than the WDs power connector(s) being a little funky, none of the drives report errors.
>>
>tfw my external Hitachi 1tb has always made KRRRRRT sounds when reading and transfering large files

Should I be worried? Its quiet when idling.
>>
>>54443895
maybe its just a noisy drive, check SMART status but it could fail any moment so you should have backups anyway
>>
>>54431237
3 WD disks. 2 died in Windows and a WD Green pice of shit died in Linux because:
>Modern Western Digital "Green" Drives include the Intellipark feature that stops the disk when not in use.
>Unfortunately, the default timer setting is not perfect on linux/unix systems, including many NAS, and leads to a dramatic increase of the Load Cycle Count value (SMART attribute #193).

Fucking WD should stand for Windows Disks. They're fucking shit.
>>
One started having a load of bad sectors, luckily only on the system partition, so I was able to buy a new disk, reinstall OS and copy everything over.

Second one died suddenly and took everything on it. I had most stuff migrated to a newer machine, but some things were lost forever.
>well maybe I could get something back via data recovery, but perceived worth of data vs. cost of data recovery... nah.
>>
>>54439013
Have you checked so there's not any pending sectors that's not being reallocated?
I had a WD drive having the same issues, specific files couldn't be copied.

Had to format it, write zeros to the entire drive and after that the sectors finally reallocated and it now works well again.
>>
>>54431237
>tfw 3 different HDDs with no backup

I'm riding on 'E' with no license and registration.
>>
I have never had an HDD die, but I replace my HDDs every ~4-5 years. I copy all the contents over to newer, denser HDDs, then keep the old HDDs in a closet as an emergency backup. (I have a remote backup solution I use full time as well, but you never know)

Currently sitting at around 10TB of data, with 17TB total storage space.
>>
>>54431283
that drive is going to die.
>>
Zero.

One of them I used for 9 years daily. I guess I'm just lucky.
>>
Is it true that keeping your HDDs running 24/7 will make them last longer because starting up HDD platters wears out their motors/spindles?
>>
One. A WD 45Gb back in its day. Was under warranty thus I got a new bigger one (can remember how much bigger).
>>
>>54447063
No true or at least it does not make any difference. I got 24/7 drives, turn off on idle and archive ones that only see use when archiving shit. None has failed so far i like 15 years.
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 264x191) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 264x191
I had an ocz agility 120gb ssd fail on me about a week ago. The thing was one of the first gen ssd's ever put out there and has lasted through several machines. Sad to see it go. It still works from time to time but it's starting to fail and not be detected/freeze up now.
>>
I can't even begin to list all of the hard drives over the years that have failed on me. They all fail eventually.
>>
Grandpa here.

Had like countless drives and only one 3.5 died on me and it was one that was mostly kept in storage since I used it for important data (go figure).

2.5 fail pretty often. Those that failed all have very high power on/spin on counts. Hours doesn't matter in my experience.

Also have server at work that is running 24/7 for the past 20 years, has IBM 2.1 scsi drives that are still spinning happily.
>>
>>54431237
>>
I had my server one die on me and my portable drive died but that one was probably my fault
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.