[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who and why uses Perl in current year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Who and why uses Perl in current year?
>>
i use it. because work uses it. most likely because someone a long time ago decided to use it and now they have an enormous legacy perl codebase that would be too expensive to port to another language.
>>
I use it for all my scripting and web programming needs.
>>
File: _n.jpg (55 KB, 448x604) Image search: [Google]
_n.jpg
55 KB, 448x604
>>54428317
This is why anyone uses anything. You think Linus wants to be writing C in 2017?
>>
>>54428159
I work as Incident Response.. While perl may seem useless to many of you, it is great for parsing log files.
>>
>>54428340
Yes he wants to because it keeps bad programmers out
>>
>>54428159
programmers for programming stuff
>>
Used to use it every day for making sites with CGI. Now I use it to automate various processes.
>>
I literally don't know what perl is used for.
>>
>>54430259
it's a better:
sed
AWK
sh
grep
find

That's all.
>>
>>54430282
I literally don't know what any of those things are.
>>
>>54430282
So is Python.
>>
>>54430958
I know what that is; it's shit.
>>
>>54428159
Many people, because it's a nice, expressive language with decent library support.
>>
>>54430738
Hello prajeet.
>>54430958
Perl is a better python.
>>
>>54430738
Install gentoo
>>
>>54428159
Perl has no string length limit other than the amount of memory on your system. If you need to work with big strings, perl's your language. Of course, you're probably doing a shit job at designing your program, but I guess there's gotta be an edge case where huge-ass strings are needed.
>>
My first tech job required looking at credit card clearinghouse data. European feeds came in as text files that were 30 to 40 gigs compressed (which is a significant reduction) .

If I needed to research why ford data was fucked I had two options; vi and search for any data of a certain account or use Perl to pull all data for all accounts for ford and write it to a new file. Companies were on the phone screaming for any information and I had to be fast and accurate to make sure it was a problem with the data feed and not our systems (usually random restaurants with disallowed characters).

Did not have deal with formatting or white space or importing the correct version for the correct version of python (really what the fuck is that all about? Force everyone to 2.7 )
>>
I picked up Perl this year for a small project, already knowing Python and trying Ruby shortly after. They're all high-level and quick to write code in.

What it came down to was the community. The Perl community is older and doesn't have the growth that the other languages do. The people in it have been programming for a long time. This is invaluable as they tend to have skills in other areas as well don't feel the need to rush to the latest technology. In my experience they are about getting the job done, bringing in the ideas from elsewhere that are best (see Moose, and Mojolicious) and having fun.
>>
>>54430958
I prefer Python, but one can't deny that Perl is great for parsing text. Better, for things like quick parsing of log files.
>>
>>54428340
Why write anything other than C?
>>
>>54428317
Wow, we must work at the same place
>>
>>54433887
Write in C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S1fISh-pag
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.