[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the headphone jack is why our devices aren't thinner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5
File: DSC07134[1].jpg (2 MB, 2500x1406) Image search: [Google]
DSC07134[1].jpg
2 MB, 2500x1406
>the headphone jack is why our devices aren't thinner

Let's talk about this. Why exactly do we want thinner devices? Remember the iPhone 6's bending problem?

I have a Dell Venue 8 7840 and this thing is fucking thin. What merit are we getting from thinner devices that is worth sacrificing a wired headphone jack for? Wouldn't thinner devices also mean less space to put in decent components and/or cooling issues?

The "thinness singularity" is a stupid ideal in tech aesthetics that is all fluff and no substance.
>>
The 3.5 Jack is the best invention ever made
>>
>>54427127
Similar reasons people also want big screens.
They're being sold in other markets that buy more of them and want these things.

I just want a modern android phone with 4-4.5 in screen goddamnit
>>
The only way we'd get thinner devices is not only by dumping the 3.5mm jack but also by requiring the device be charged inductively because the height of the charging port is equal to the 3.5mm jack.
>>
>>54427127
I don't want a thinner device. I want a durable device I only have to charge twice a week.
>>
I hate thin electronics. All these thin phones feel like fisher price toys in the hands.
>>
I don't want thinner devices--they're thin enough. I want more battery life. Fuck this 'let's remove important shit for muh thinness' bullshit
>>
>>54427173
Are you sure it isn't the fleshlight accessory for VR helmets?
>>
jewpple want you to run to buy new idevice when battery performance of ever thinner jewvice reduces by 10% in 6 months.
But hey they atleast recycle 100% desu (swapped battery in sweatshop with suicide nets)
Also this is has to be done for muh innovations.
>>
>>54427231
Making the tech thinner without significantly compromising on ability or energy means that you can then scale outwards.

If a phone today is half the thickness of a phone from a few years ago, with the same or better battery and performance characteristics, then you can double up on the battery now without having a serious regression.

TL;Dr blame Apple.
>>
I find thin devices more comfortable to hold. I wouldn't sacrifice performance or functionality--including a headphone jack--for thinness but I still appreciate it all the same. If ~3.5mm is achievable then I'm down with that.
>>
>>54427301
Isn't throwing away the 3.5mm jack considered a compromise?

I mean I don't think they're obsolete like 3.5" floppy drives. Bluetooth requires recharging and, at least in my experience, there is a slight delay between audio transmission over BT that desynchronizes video.
>>
>>54427127
Corporations can't come up with something that's original and impressive so they just push the muh thinness meme. Most people probably don't thinness requires compromise.
>>
>>54427127
Not even applefags think headphone jack is worth giving up. Apple is retarded, though
>>
>>54427364
Using a single port for everything is likely seen as a strong advantage, in terms of how they can then warp the accessories market.

I think making the phone thinner is just a 'happy' coincidence and an excuse they can use to justify that horseshit.
>>
>>54427301
I completely agree, but nobody's making 2007-era brick size phones that are 80% battery but with otherwise modern specs.
>>
>>54427364
>and, at least in my experience, there is a slight delay between audio transmission over BT that desyncs video.
That's because it's being used for things it wasn't meant for. Bluetooth is guaranteed transmission like TCP. If for whatever reason there is some interference between your phone and your headset, it will try retransmitting that audio. Because bluetooth is independent of the video playing, the video keeps going while you aren't receiving audio. This leads to the desync you experience.

What we really need is something that is best effort, like UDP or radio. So it broadcasts the audio to you and doesn't desync if you don't receive it.
>>
>>54427127
It's weird. Not sure why thinner is better. The iPhone 6 is thin enough for me. Maybe it's to make them cheaper?
>>
File: 4L_yHjU46AK.png (403 KB, 960x550) Image search: [Google]
4L_yHjU46AK.png
403 KB, 960x550
>>54427127
>muh thinness
>>
>>54427173
It was a good analog standard, but it needs to die for the digital age to evolve.
>>
>>54427127
I'd like to drop the 3.5mm jack but not because of the thin meme, only because based in personal experience that port always gets loose as fuck after some time.

Might be because i'm always using my headphones but still.
>>
>>54427203
>I just want a modern android phone with 4-4.5 in screen goddamnit
I think sony's z6 line comes in like 5 different sizes, including the mini which would be about 4-4.5.
At least, that's what the rumors were a few months ago.
>>
>>54427496
Why does it need to die at all? Explain.
>>
If it was about thinness then Apple would just move to 2.5mm.

It's 100% planned obsolescence and forcing a peripheral market to exist that they have stronger control over.
>>
>>54427481
Increase "sleekness" and visual appeal, which means fuck all in terms of usability but the industry keeps trying to cut back on hardware connectors to achieve it.
>>
>everybody is complaining about smartphone battery life
>phone companies give us 4k screens and 6 mm wide phones instead

T-thanks
>>
>>54427496
just so the digital to analog conversion happens in some piece of shit adapter? you are fucking stupid
>>
>>54427539
He doesn't understand that there is no such thing as digital audio
>>
>>54427539
Is there a digital connection interface that can be achieved simply with two pieces of metal touching each other? All our current digital connectors require pins.
>>
>>54427732
Money. It's all money. You get twenty people in a room, show them your new ad campaign with your phone next to a competitor and ask them which they would buy. They pick the one that "looks nicer."
>>
Ya I dont really need for things to get much thinner. After a point it just becomes difficult to hold.
>>
Fucking Apple man. I'm all for simple designs and sleek electronics but they're really pushing it. You know they would make it thinner than paper of they could.
>>
>>54427790
>tfw the bezel is so fine that your fat palms start causing unintentional touches
>>
>>54427231
Get a chink 10kMaH phone
>>
The Samsung Galaxy S Edge is another beast.
>>
>>54427127
If it's going in my hand, a thinner device means that it can be contoured to fit better and feel more comfortable. More specifically, my bigass Nexus 6P feels far less unwieldy to use because the back is contoured slightly to fit one-handed use. Thicker device = less comfortable to hold unless you also make it bigger on the sides to accomodate the curvature of your hand.
>>
>>54428006
That isn't depth, that's ergonomics.

You can have depth and good ergonomics, they aren't exclusive.
>>
most people have cases on their phones. you need to consider how thin a "dressed" phone will be
>>
>>54427127
I wouldn't mind a thinner and lighter smartphone (as long as it comes with android and the battery life isn't shit). I use bluetooth earphones anyways and i wouldn't put it in the rear pocket or try to bend it.
>>
File: jewsfearthesamurai.png (161 KB, 635x349) Image search: [Google]
jewsfearthesamurai.png
161 KB, 635x349
>>54427904
>Oukitel K10000
holy shit
>>
>>54427437
>what is oukitel
>>
First they came for the headphone jack...
>>
>>54427904
>kMaH

fucking triggered mate, well done
>>
>>54428220
>>54428227
Nice... I'll have to check this out
>>
>>54428220
> 10 day battery life
makes me almost regret buying a rugged, mine only lasts 5 days
>>
File: 1409354479281.gif (1 MB, 225x124) Image search: [Google]
1409354479281.gif
1 MB, 225x124
>>54427127
>wanting thinner design meme
>wanting 1h standby time of battery

Yeh nah m8.
>>
>move over to digital audio output
>burden of converting audio to analog is now placed upon the headphones and speakers
Why would this be a good idea?
>>
File: hory-shet-spongebob.jpg (50 KB, 480x371) Image search: [Google]
hory-shet-spongebob.jpg
50 KB, 480x371
>>54427904
>kMaH
>1,000,000,000 amp hours
i fucking wish
>>
>>54427228
usb-c is thinner than a headphone jack
>>
>>54427527
>z6
>>
>>54427489
>THICK
HIGH TEST
I
G
H
T

E
S
T
>>
>>54428220
just an inch smaller and I'd actually go for it
>>
>>54427127
nothing, people is stupid and it's just a marketing gimmick.
In fact you have phones trying to do something to make the fucking phones feel that have some weight/grip because if not it's like holding a piece of paper and it sucks balls.
>>
>>54429661
it's actually 10 Kilomegaattohenry, giving you a coil with an inductance of 0,00000001 Henry.
>>
>>54429809
That's the thing holding me back too. I really want a 4.5-5" phone, don't know if I'd be happy with a phablet. I have big palms but short fingers.
>>
You know what you get when you discard a head phone jack on a phone?

Anger, annoyance, and points off your phone review.

Every time a device does this it's backlash. This is something that's going to be sticking around for awhile
>>
>>54427127
Thin is fine if they don't use shitty materials to case it (see: plastic, aluminum, etc). This is why we have bending phones, etc. They cut costs and use shitty light materials and then wonder why their shit bends from casual use.
>>
>>54427555
>It's 100% planned obsolescence and forcing a peripheral market to exist that they have stronger control over.
ding ding ding give this man an apple, oh your headphones are not apple branded? sorry! they won't play music from our device.
>>
>>54429732
Rebranding aside, I'll never buy a Sony phone even if they make a 4,7"/720p/msd/non-overheating whatever SD soc/$250 phone. You cannot. Use. Sony phones. Comfortably. Because. Of their. Fucking. Pants-on-head retarded. Design.

Seriously fuck Sony phones' handling and ergonomics
>>
>>54427127
Not to mention that thin devices are shit to hold. I loved the feeling of my old htc tytn 2.

It's a shame tech shifted from functional and sturdy to "muh aesthetics".

This is also why every time a macfag tries to defend their shitty purchase you hear them talking about bullshit specs like an aluminum unibody (which is a shit material to begin with), ppi while having bullshit undervolted shit hardware and thing like battery life (Wow you can browse facebook even more with your overpriced piece of garbage).

Apple is one of the main reasons tech has become stupidly expensive and fragile for no reason except idiots wanting a prettier piece of hardware.
>>
>>54427127
>Why exactly do we want thinner devices?
Because they look better.

>Remember the iPhone 6's bending problem?
I don't recall them being relevant in normal use. If you're retarded enough to sit on your phone, it's your problem.

>sacrificing a wired headphone jack
Only autists care. iPhones will come with USB C headphones.

>Wouldn't thinner devices also mean less space to put in decent components and/or cooling issues?
Most components sans battery would be unaffected. Given advances in technology, next generation should have a solid battery life with smaller batteries either way.
>>
>>54432038
>If you're retarded enough to sit on your phone, it's your problem.

Oh yeah, it's not like people put their phones in their pockets or anything. That would be weird and inconvenient.
>>
>>54427127
>Why exactly do we want thinner devices?
We dont.
WE REALLY DONT
We want proper battery and heat management.
Supposedly more built in memory and card adapter.

Stop shrinking it fuckers.
>>
>>54432426
Did it really bend to anybody in that scenario?
>>
>>54432662
You've obviously never seen a pair of female jeans.
>>
>>54432794
If some landwhale uses jeans 5 sizes smaller than she should, because she's beautiful and her weight just patriarchal propaganda, it's her problem.

No phone would bend under such pressure either way.
>>
>>54427496
>Not liking dat analog warmth on your music

12 year old detected
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.