[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Text Editor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: videotapepepe.jpg (80 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
videotapepepe.jpg
80 KB, 640x576
What text editor do you use for coding?

nano masterrace here.
>>
Windows: Notepad++
Gnome: gedit
KDE: hahaha no
>>
>>54426310
>nano
Why are you doing this to yourself OP?
>>
Atom
>>
Sublime
>>
>>54426326
I don't know. I just always used it, and then I read everyone using these others I've never heard of.

Am I really missing out on that much?
>>
Sublime
>>
>>54426310
Windows: Emacs
Mac: Emacs
Linux: VIm
>>
>>54426347
Yes
Try vim for a week, and then I dare you to go back to nano
>>
>>54426346
This. It's fast, simple, nice, works on all my OS...
>>
Emacs. Wouldn't hire a vimtard let aline someone who uses something even worse.
>>
File: peep.png (20 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
peep.png
20 KB, 300x250
>>54426360
But I'm afraid of change! I hear the learning curve is high.
>>
>>54426323
what is wrong with kate?
It is vastly better than atom and sublime and a lot more accessible than emacs while still providing a lot of features you would expect of an editor.
>>
>>54426393
Good luck with that organization
>>
>>54426393
Twice be honest famalam tho, vimtards are alright if they're server monkeys
>>
>>54426409
How long are you going to be editing text?
>>
>>54426409
It is, I have been trying for years to get more out of vim but every now and then I have to do something in a real editor because it takes too much time to build all the features yourself.

But nano doesn't really have that many features, so it shouldn't take long to replicate your workflow on vim and if you can do that, vim is really good.
>>
File: lepepo.jpg (14 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
lepepo.jpg
14 KB, 320x320
>>54426433
Who do you take me for, a fortune teller?
>>
>>54426455
What features do you need to use another editor for?
>>
>>54426467
If you're going to be editing text for the foreseeable future, it's worth learning a high learning curve tool that will save you time and effort in the long run
>>
>>54426471
It is not something that I have to do often, but sometimes I get in a situation where I just want to get stuff done rather than learn how to do yet another thing.
Like when you want automatic updating, intelligent highlighting or something, vim is just not made to do these things.
There are things I can do in vim that is cool and exiting which I wish was as easy on other editors, but the list is shrinking and it takes seconds to learn on a graphical editor where it takes a lot longer to learn / setup on vim.
>>
Slap
Sublime terminal thing I somehow got used to
>>
>>54426631
>intelligent highlighting
:syntax on

the end
>>
>>54426310
mousepad
>>
I am itching to try Acme but it looks like a bother to setup and learn. Anyone using it as a daily driver?
>>
Only NEETs use text editors.

IntelliJ master race reporting in.
>>
>>54427519
IDE

lol
>>
>>54426323
I edited a script I made in Gedit in Kwrite and it fucked up all my tabs REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
>>
>>54427519
>java
heh
>>
Atom
I used to use Vim until I got tired of it.
Never fell for emacs meme, I am not sure if it is real thing or just a meme.
>>
>>54426339
>>54427643
Why? Why would you use an editor build on top of a fucking browser? Why don't you use Sublime?
>>
>>54427680
Sublime is also browser-based. So are Brackets (the one I use for anything with a GUI) and VSCode (the one Microsoft made to compete with Sublime and Atom). They're fine to use unless you need to edit 50+ megabytes of text (such as big MySQL dumps, which I have to do on occasion)

Hey, remember when the joke was text editors written in lisp? Something Something Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping.
>>
Linux noob. Google "best linux text editor".
install vim. no regrets.
I tried nano, but I couldn't figure out how to save and exit.
>>
>>54426631
What do you mean by intelligent highlighting?
Vim has syntax highlighting and powerful visual modes
I don't know what you mean by auto updating either
>>
>>54427819
Literally tells you what to press at the bottom.
>>
>>54427751
Sublime is not browser-based.
>>
>>54427751
>VSCode (the one Microsoft made to compete with Sublime and Atom)
>Microsoft made
VScode is literally an Atom fork
>>
>>54427680
because it is a proprietary software
Atom was easy to install though it takes long time
I was fine with Vim , I needed an editor writing meme php scripts.
I already had bluefish but looks gay as fuck.
>>54427819
you could not figure out nano key combination which is shown at the bottom but can use Vim
>>
>>54426310
Vim
>>
>>54427849
>>54427894
>you could not figure out nano key combination which is shown at the bottom but can use Vim
Pretty sure that's the joke, guys.
>>
Geany is the way to go my nignog, disregard Sublime a.k.a. "The hipster editor" and VIM/Emacs a.k.a. "Autism"

...or just stick to Nano, it just werks.
>>
>>54427967
>VIM/Emacs a.k.a. "Autism"
Have you used vim for more than a few hours?
>>
vim and atom, in that order. Or straight up vi.
>>
>>54427863
>VScode is literally an Atom fork
non-GPL, not even once
>>
>>54427977

Are you implying I'm some kind of neckbearded NEET autismal fuccboi? Watch your mouth before I wreck you, senpai.
>>
>>54428034
So the answer is no. Not surprising you don't understand it, then.
>>
>>54427980
>straight up vi.
for what purpose?
>>
Emacs. Works consistently on all platforms. I can easily transfer for my set-up between platforms. I wish there was a better editor though. Emacs is the best of the bunch for me, but it sucks.
>no true OTF support, e.g. languages that use text ligatures
>shitty ui overall
>bad keybindings that act as reference for other package's keybindings
>outdated as hell
I don't think a better editor is coming along any time soon though. Maybe atom, in like 5 years or something. I don't mind the concept of using JavaScript to extend an editor, it's not like elisp is any better (it's probably worse, actually).
>>
GNU Emacs mustard race
>>
There's Cream for all y'all who are saying "vim is autism". It's a custom configured vim written by an autist so that you don't have to!
>>
>ITT people stuck in the 1980s
We have keyboard arrows now guys
>>
>>54428042

I was just fooling m8, but you are right, I never really bothered to learn all the features, hotkeys, commands and what have you, seemed like a pain in the ass at the moment and I needed to start coding right away.

It just so happens that I have a lot of spare time lately, might check it out and find what's the big deal about it, is there anything like the ULTIMATE GUIDE to vim?
>>
>coding
LOL no, I'm White.
>>
>>54426310
GNU Emacs
>>
Started with Eclipse, then to Sublime, just started using Emacs, I like it so far.
Lisp is not nearly as hard as Lisp elitists like to make it out to be
>>
>>54428173
Lisp is very easy. It's probably the most easy and practical language I've ever used. I don't know who's going around telling people it's hard. If it's "enlightening", it's because the language is so easy to use that you can, for once, actually focus on the problem at hand instead of figuring out how to mangle your language to think about the problem right.
>>
>>54428106
I apologize for taking you so seriously.

Honestly, I'm pretty bad at vim. I did probably a quarter of vimtutor before getting distracted, and it seemed decent.
>>
File: 4chan_on_editors_acme.png (102 KB, 1601x867) Image search: [Google]
4chan_on_editors_acme.png
102 KB, 1601x867
>>
>>54426310
Vim
>>
>Still using a console text editor that works with keyboard shortcuts

Fucking nerds. It's like you do this just to make GUI text editor users feel bad. There is no good reason to use vim other than make things complicated where they can be simple.
>>
>>54428282
Based acme users
http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/1/emacs
>>
Why the fuck do people still use text editors? IDEs are much more powerful, have auto complete and much more functionality like structure views and better debugging.
>>
>>54428282
Hyperbole aside, I guess I agree with most of the points here.

vimscript is annoying, and neovim is a meme at best. I'm not sure how vim is "bloated," though -- a minimal installation is less than a megabyte. On CentOS 7, for instance:
$ du -h /usr/bin/vi
892K /usr/bin/vi

>[node's founder] admitted [node] sucked, and then laid low to avoid backlash from the psychotic SJW community.
More evidence that "SJW" now means "someone I don't like."
>Sublime Text is just laughable. 70 dollars for a piece of total abandonware?
I detest the nonfree piece of shit that is Sublime, but if Sublime is abandonware, acme is super-abandonware.
>>
Text editor for coding?

Visual studio

Text editors in general?

Windows: Notepad++/word
Linux: Nano
>>
>>54428540
>Text editor for coding?
>Visual studio
>Text editors in general?

What else do you use a text editor for?
>>
File: acme_source.png (8 KB, 599x44) Image search: [Google]
acme_source.png
8 KB, 599x44
>>54428282
>complain about abandonware
>acme hasn't been updated in literally a decade
>>
>>54428604
e.g. quick editing of a config file, taking notes. things like that
>>
File: 1430421413768.gif (138 KB, 239x282) Image search: [Google]
1430421413768.gif
138 KB, 239x282
>want to use vim
>there's so much shit just to navigate alone
>>
>>54428604
Not who you're replying to, but there's lots of plaintext besides source code that needs to be edited. For instance, configuration and data files.
>>
>>54428681
>>54428661
>Not taking notes on paper
>Not coding a GUI for every config file you want to edit.
>>
>>54428668
Abandon the autism boat while you still can. People who are good at vim seem to be "stuck" using it, like it's an addiction. You give them a mouse and a top menu and they have seizures.
>>
>>54428106
There are plenty of learning resources/books. The first thing id recommend is vimtutor, it comes with vim. Just type "vimtutor" in command line and it will open a plaintext file in vim and gives instructions on editing the file.
>>
>>54428668
First thing you learn is :wq means save and quit. Because q is for quit and w is for wsave. And : is for "cole on and execute my command please".

If you get through this step without saying "Wow, that's a load of retarded bullshit for stupid fucking pissbuckets who are dumb" and returning to gedit, then you are already in too deep.
>>
sublime text

vim if I'm on linux without sublime installed or if I'm ssh'd, but I'm not all that great with it
>>
>>54428658
26 days ago, actually https://github.com/9fans/plan9port/commits/master
>>
>Emacs is bloated, carpal tunnel inducing shit
>Vim is unintuitive shit with a high learning curve and horrible scripting language
>Acme is archaic shit for geriatrics
>Atom, Sublime, intelliJ, and the like are just pure shit in general

Does a good text editor actually exist?
>>
Vim or Visual Studio Code
VSCode is the best "rich" editor that isn't ST.

>>54428977
Gedit or Geany?
>>
>>54428977
>Does a good text editor actually exist?
Obviously not, that's why people fight over this all the time.
>>
Windows : sublime,
Linux : atom
Mac : atom/xcode
>>
File: Sublime_Text_Logo.png (31 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Sublime_Text_Logo.png
31 KB, 256x256
>>
>>54428658
Software can be finished you know
>>
>>54429042
Anyone know the reason why atom is the most unstable/slowest thing on windows. Craps out when I try and open a json file. Regardless of its size. 40kb json takes 30 seconds to open.
>>
>>54429087
Because it's written in JavaSchitt and uses Electron, is maintained by retards and you need a great CPU/GPU combo to not get fucking input lag on keypresses.
Also it spies on you and installs 20MB of bloat addons by default.
>>
Scite
>>
>tfw still using nano

Feels bad man. Every time I need to replace phrase x with phrase y I just fire up vim and do %s/x/y/g and go back to nano. Too lazy to make the full switch though.
>>
>>54427519
So NEETs are real programmers?
>>
wich one you would suggest to a noob? it seems like the peoples choice is Vim, but also it seems to be kinda difficult.
>>
>>54426631
Let me guess, you haven't even remapped <ESC>
>>
>>54429336
It's literally the only default shortcut that is somewhat intuitive.
>>
>>54429325
If you are learning to program, you should pick whatever text editor is simplest to you. It doesn't matter how inefficient your workflow is, you will be spending almost all of your time using reference materials and debugging and the code you write will be very small. After you understand the basics and are ready to start working on bigger projects you should look into more complex options.

I worked in a terminal when I was learning to program and I used nano for a long time, because it was simple and functional. Now I use Vim and Intellij.
>>
>>54429355
>2016
>not using capslock to exit insert mode
>>
>>54429454
Also, stay away from IDE's while learning. Things like static code analysis and autocompletion are powerful tools, but you don't want to become dependent on them before understanding how they work.
>>
>>54428977
>every text editor sucks
Maybe you're the problem senpai.
>>
File: headasplode.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
headasplode.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>54429574
>>
>>54429454
>Now I use Vim and Intellij.
Hey, so do I!

Do you use the vim keybinds plugin for IntelliJ? I do, and the seem pretty incomplete. As far as I can tell, you can't even do basic stuff like :b#.
>>
>>54428977
Just use gedit.
>>
>>54429582

Dumbest fucking advice I have ever heard.

Using a text editor instead of an IDE is like painting with pen instead of a paintbrush, like driving a manual car instead of an automatic, like washing your dishes by hand instead of putting them into a dish washer.

Only autistic babies who don't have a job use text editors, solely because what they create will never be of any actual importance or usefulness. You wouldn't create a masterpiece like Minecraft in a text editor.
>>
>>54429582
Bullshit. Get VS Community, start using C#. You'll be doing real shit in no time while dummies are still trying to figure out 'how to save and exit'.
You can 'grock' what the IDE is doing for you as a part of your learning process.
>>
notepad for windows. pretty lit desu.
>>
>>54429643
I have a keymap to toggle vim emulation in intellij but I mostly stick with the defaults since they integrate better with the tools of the IDE. And honestly, the default keymaps are pretty solid.
>>
>>54429667
>Like painting with pen instead of a paintbrush
That's like saying "it's like driving with your feet;" painting implies a certain medium, which is the paintbrush - a better analogy would be art with a pen, which plenty of people do
>like driving a manual instead of an automatic
Plenty of people do that, and I'm not even talking about autistic 4chan users either
>Washing your dishes by hand instead of the dishwasher
Perfectly feasible with a household of < 3 people
>Masterpiece like Minecraft
lol
>>
>>54429667
Did you read the post you are quoting?

I'm not saying text editors are better than IDE's, I'm saying it's better to start learning on a text editor. A person who can write code without relying on autocompletion will be able to write better code using autocompletion as an aid rather than a person who uses it as a crutch because that's what they've always done.

>>54429693
When you are learning your goal is not to do "real shit". You shouldn't even think about approaching a real project until you understand what you're doing.
>>
>>54429263
Lol why don't you just use sed?
>>
>>54429782

geany seems like a good option for noobs
>>
>>54429782
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4e7PjRygt0

If a game allows you to build a basic interpreter using in-game items without mods, I'd say it's a masterpiece in at least some way.
>>
>>54429827
Absolutely learning on a text editor and dealing with compilation errors by hand is a must
>>
>>54429838
Dwarf Fortress has been able to do that for a while, and Toady didn't sell out to Microsoft
>>
>>54429667
>painting with pen instead of a paintbrush
If you want to be good at art, you have to start simple and work your way up. Start with pencil sketches and learn the fundamentals.

If you want to be good at programming, you have to start simple and work your way up. Start with simple editors and simple languages and learn the fundamentals.
>>
>>54429838
I can't think of many games in which this is not possible in some way.

If you can fucking pick up objects and drop them on the floor you can implement rule 110 which is turing complete and bootstrap a basic interpreter inside it.
>>
>>54429864
>sell out to Microsoft
Oh get over yourself you big baby. He made an amazing game and now he's rolling in dough while people are enjoying it. Those are happy things and you have no rational reason to be mad about it.
>>
Vim
>>
Used Vim for many years but now moving to emacs. Shortcuts are a bit retarded though.
>>
>>54426310
A magnetized needle and a steady hand.
>>
I use vim as an IDE, not a text editor
>>
>>54429946
kek. This is what the real pros use. Terminal editors are for babbies.

Let's just hope hard disks don't get obsolete too soon.
>>
>>54428977
Emacs + Vi-like keybindings
Spacemacs makes a nice ootb experience
>>
>>54429970
Did you program vim with keyboard shortcuts to auto complete every different word in your "environment"?
>>
>>54430032
I think what you're asking for is basic ctags completion? vim has that enabled out of the box, press <C-n>
>>
>>54429574
Teach me more wizard!
>>
Emacs for everything. I've tried Atom and several IDEs but with only 4 GB of RAM it's a pain in the ass to use them unless you have nothing else running. Emacs allows me to save memory while offering plenty of capabilities thanks to third-party packages.
>>
>>54430158
Not him, but personally I'm partial to mapping the e key to exit insert mode. Who uses the letter e in coding anymore? But if I'm stuck using it for whatever reason, I mapped inserting e to Ctrl+Backspace+4+e. My coding has gotten 100$ faster since then.
>>
>>54430158
setxkbmap -option caps:escape

works well if you want it globally, although you could also do a remap inside of vim.

>>54430221
>not using ctrl+backspace+alt+meta+f3+right click+f12
I bet you eat baby food, too.
>>
>>54430254
I should note that GNOME clobbers this, in which case you'll need to set org.gnome.desktop.input-sources.xkb-options to ['caps:super'].
>>
>>54430254
Okay I originally made fun of you, but now that I think about it, caps lock makes sense. It's closer to the letter keys, it's a "switch", it's hardly ever useful for its intendend purpose... do you use it to enter insert mode too? That would be my first reflex.
>>
>>54430294
I'm not the same guy, but yeah, it's nice.
>do you use it to enter insert mode too? That would be my first reflex.
Very good idea, but I've never tried it.
>>
>>54430254
I have a question. I do this too, but for whatever reason it un-sets itself periodically and I have to reset it by running the command again. Do you experience this? How the hell can I get around it other than a frequent cronjob? I want the setting to stick permanently, including through reboots.
>>
>>54430291
Just install KDE. Transform your OS into a never ending composite effect.
>>
>>54430254
> 2016
> mapping caps to just escape and not to control or another modifier too
>>
>>54428507
No.
>>
Configurations: Vim
Programming: Atom

Why Atom? Because plugins are very easy to install. Often Vim stuff like autocompletion is slow or even requires you to recompile Vim to enable some language (Python) hooks.

You can really see that Atom has been developed with plugins in mind. In contrast to Vim that was made to be a quick and small editor. The plugins made for it are more like extensions.

Don't you dare opening some binaries by accident because it will pretty much freeze Atom but overall it is a pretty comfy editor.
>>
>>54430361
I like using graphical text editors because there's no need for a shortcut to enter insert mode. They're always in insert mode. Because that's what text editors are supposed to do. You type a key and it inserts the key's corresponding character into your text. It's magical.
>>
>>54430398
> I'm so retarded I don't realize that vim is also a graphical text editor
> I'm so retarded I don't realize that most other decent graphical editors (emacs, sublime, atome, etc.) and IDEs support modal editing
> I'm so retarded I don't understand the point of modal editing
> I'm so retarded I didn't even reply the the person who brought up remapping caps in the first place
>>
>>54426415
Lacking plugin support
>>
>>54430477
You sound upset. Did you fuck up your code by trying to type while not in insert mode again?
>>
>>54430508
If you don't know what mode you're in, you're blind.
>>
>>54430333
>it un-sets itself periodically and I have to reset it by running the command again.
Yep, this happened to me too. I think it happened whenever I reconnected my keyboard.

I wish I had a solution, sorry.
>>
File: 1459209479453.jpg (76 KB, 680x711) Image search: [Google]
1459209479453.jpg
76 KB, 680x711
>>54426310
Vim or Emacs depending on what I'm doing. Vim for config, quick edits and remove hosts (though Tramp is nice), and Emacs for everything else.

Ambi-binding/paradigm-dextrous masterrace reporting in.
>>
File: sublime.png (88 KB, 1048x946) Image search: [Google]
sublime.png
88 KB, 1048x946
>>54426346
yeap, sublime here
>>
>>54430597
>>54430333
Could it be related to what was stated in this post? >>54430291
>>
>>54427751
>Sublime is also browser-based.
>>
>>54426310

64-bit multithreaded notepad.exe
>>
>>54427919
Part about google best text editor goes unquestioned.
>>
>>54430254
>although you could also do a remap inside of vim.

You can't remap capslock in vim as it is handled by your terminal IIRC
>>
File: 1366866836055.png (95 KB, 431x551) Image search: [Google]
1366866836055.png
95 KB, 431x551
>>54428507
Because they're useless, autistic faggots.
>>
>>54428507
Emacs has all of those.
>>
>>54428518
>neovim is a meme
Yeah because async has no uses, right?
It's a holdover until Vim has it but it's still necessary.
>>
currently using Atom,
wanne make the switch to Vim but
looks too difficult
>>
>>54431049
http://stackoverflow.com/q/2176532

Shit, you're right. My apologies senpai
>>
>>54428518
you dont have to pay for Sublime. it's also not packed, so if you're going to really sperg out over the message politely asking you to purchase it if you're enjoying using it, you can patch it out in the binary.
>>
>>54426310
microsoft visual studio 2015
>>
>>54431150
>you dont have to pay for Sublime.
I didn't mean free as in beer. I meant that Sublime doesn't respect your freedom.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
>>
>>54431130
Vim already got async.
>>
>>54431130
>until Vim has it
good luck lol, I've heard they're very resistant to any refactors
>>
>>54431228
Vim has had async for a bit now.
>>
>>54426950
>Vim highlighting
>intelligent
Kek, try highlighting Javascript nested in HTML.
>>
File: images.png (150 KB, 1364x750) Image search: [Google]
images.png
150 KB, 1364x750
>>54428282
>>54428460
>Acme can't display 4chan images
>Emacs can
Nice try Plan9 fanboys.
>>
>>54431335
just in general, from what I've heard adding new features to vim is a clusterfuck
>>
>>54428977
Emacs is an editor library that you can use to make your own text editor.

>Does a good text editor actually exist?
No. That's why you use Emacs and make your own.
>>
>>54429946
Emacs has a command for that.
>>
>>54431499
this
Emacs is not an editor unto itself, it's a set of editing macros that you use to create a good editor
[spoiler]evil is the good editor[/spoiler]
>>
>>54430655
Webdevs and sublime text users, everyone
>>
>>54431221
Haha no.

https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic/issues/699

Literally a three year old issue trying to get async syntax checking to work in Vim.
>>
>>54426409
>>54428106

Just work yourself through the vimtutor (you literally put "vimtutor" in your shell). This will give you the basics in half an hour. yo0u might want to reapeat the vimtutor a few times until you get smooth with it.

Later on you can do amazing stuff with vim, but you can start to use the "regular" features (moving, copying, pasting) and work your way down into the rabbit hole.
>>
is there a way to get gedit to have non-shit syntax highlighting?

I don't mean the colors, I mean it's identification of functions etc.

guess I'll just use kate for now..

>atom social justice warriors
>sublime is nazi closed source
>vscode microshaft
>vim shit saving, shit hotkeys, can't use fucking mouse when I'm bored
>emacs software justice warriors
>nano good as hell, I use it when can't open something else. but also medicore syntax highlighting though I wrote my own to make it better
>>
File: screenie_for_grandpa.png (7 KB, 484x368) Image search: [Google]
screenie_for_grandpa.png
7 KB, 484x368
>>54431391
Works for me.

Might be time to update vim, grandpa.
>>
>>54431638
that highlighting is about as garbage as gedit..

my nano is way better.
>>
>>54431601
> this plugin doesn't have async
> vim must not have async
You're a moron. Syntastic not using async doesn't change the fact that Bram has already added async capabilities to vim. Sure it's unfortunate that now there are two different async implementations for vim, but I saw a neovim dev mention possible plans to create a compatibility layer for use with plugins.
>>
>>54431601

Did you even read the issue? It even mentions that vim now has job control.
>>
>>54431667
If this is a joke, [insert personal attack here]

Otherwise, I'd actually like to see what you have. This is just the default syntax highlighting in Arch for bg=dark; I've put zero effort into it.
>>
Microsoft Word FTW
>>
>>54431741
didn't include the query so 4chin the hacker can't get me
>>
intellij IDEA when I'm writing Java

for everything else:
linux -> vim
windows -> sublime text
>>
>>54428668

>there's so much shit just to navigate alone

You can just use the cursors, buit this "shit" (as you put it) is exactly what makes you so fast in the long run..

123 g
>go to line 123

>goto beginning of line

w / e
>goto beginning / end of next word

5 w
>goto beginning of 5th next word

/test
>search for "test"

Wow, it's fucking rocket science..
>>
>>54431667

>that highlighting is about as garbage as gedit..

just insert

:colo darkblue

or some other colorscheme
>>
>>54431737
And it mentions how it's flawed, so again hacks will need to be made to get it to work. Writing Vim plugins is all about working around Vim's design weaknesses.
>>
>>54431940
color scheme has noting to do with the highlighting my meme friend

it doesn't have a difference between the brackets, functions, etc. they're the same color. regardless of the color they are.. they're still the same.
>>
>>54431737
Yeah, half-assed job control.

>There is job_status() function in new job api. Vim can use autocmd to parse result if there is no way to pass a callback function to job_start().
>A checker may do somethings on result, the problem is that current buffer may not be the same one it just checked.
>>
>>54431493
Just use neomake
>>
>>54430597
>>54430660
I don't disconnect my keyboard and I don't use GNOME (i3-wm) :/
I wish I knew a way to debug it at least, but I cant for the life of me figure out WHAT is unsetting it.
>>
sam
>>
Sublime text
Nano
Eclipse

Honorable mentions to Geany and Notepad++
>>
>>54426310
Geany

Slowly getting familiar with KDevelop
>>
Kwrite or vim
>>
TextEdit
>>
Notepad on Wine master race.
>>
File: 1458255503220.jpg (47 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
1458255503220.jpg
47 KB, 720x439
>>54433325
>>
>>54426310
GNU: gedit
Windows: gedit. I tried various text editors, but gedit (even though it's broken in various ways on Windows) was the best.
OS X: I don't even try

>>54426347
I mean, I enjoy cutting and pasting things which are not entire lines of text, but on the whole you're probably okay. If you switch to something else then you should probably try to level up to emacs or vim.

>>54427325
I dislike its lack of regex support. Which is a shame, because that means I have to install gedit on all of my xubuntu devices.

>>54429864
DF is still proprietary :/
>>
>>54426310
> coding
IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate

> $EDITOR
vim
>>
File: 1433219477151.jpg (9 KB, 250x215) Image search: [Google]
1433219477151.jpg
9 KB, 250x215
>>54433625
>Using anything that Notepad++ on Windows.
>>
File: rollercuck.png (19 KB, 556x143) Image search: [Google]
rollercuck.png
19 KB, 556x143
>>54433713
Notepad++ just didn't feel right, my man. Everything was cluttered, ugly, cramped. I like editing text to be a treat, not a trial.
>>
It's not hard to use an IDE.
>>
>>54426310
>nano
Why do even bother
vim or emacs are the only intelligent choices
>>
>>54431911
More like autism.
>>
>mfw all these notepad++ cucks

This is not 2004 anymore. Lrn2sublime cucks.
>>
File: nvim.png (18 KB, 1432x956) Image search: [Google]
nvim.png
18 KB, 1432x956
Which other editor can preserve your entire session including buffer layout, folds, and the complete undo tree across restarts?

Hell, which other editor has an undo tree?
>>
>>54436751
Sublime.
>>
geany
it just werks
>>
>>54435880
>proprietary
>>
>>54426310
Nano is good. I also use leafpad.
>>
>>54431977
Wow you can copy and paste. I don't like that Bram didn't want to work together to make a single api with nvim, but calling it "half-assed" is bullshit. There was a lot of discussion and reasoning that went into things.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/qtw5LdCrHJQ
>>
>>54429574
I thought I was the only one for some reason
>>
>>54428780
>wsave
it's write you fucking retard
>>
>>54431961
>i dont know anything about html or javascript: the post

the reason some of it is the same color is that it's commented out you fucking retard

See those //? That means the rest of the line is a comment. Your first lesson is complete, my friend.
>>
>>54433325
>not editing with wordpad through wine through cygwin through wine through a gentoo vm through a windows 7 vm through ssh through cygwin through wine through emacs
>being this cucked
>>
>>54437729
>editing config files with a word processor
>not using an image editor where you type out the text using its text tool then using a tool that converts the image files to text
>>
gedit or builder. Because it works and I'm not autistic enough to need to memorize over 9000 keyboard shortcuts.
>>
emacs + evil-mode gives you the modal editing of vim, and the extensibility and customization of emacs, along with emacserver.
>>
Programmer's Notepad
>>
>>54426310
nano for linux
acme for plan 9
>>
>>54427434
yes i use it on my slackware binary repository server that runs plan 9.
>>
>>54427819
Ctrl+o, enter, Ctrl+x
>>
File: title2.png (98 KB, 367x400) Image search: [Google]
title2.png
98 KB, 367x400
spacemacs
>>
>>54437701
no it isn't, you dumb fucking faggot nigger
"index = math.floor" is not fucking commented, nor is that variable the same as the fucking function after it
>>
>>54428658
wrong
>>
Notepad++ and gedit, depending on environment.

don't use android nor osx
>>
>>54428977
Can you elaborate?
I use acme all the time.
Not only do i write with it i also view/send emails and browse the web on the fly at the same time.
>>
>>54431455
underrated post
>>
>>54431455
The mothra and abacco browsers are shitty at best but i dont use plan 9 for that purpose. Server only. Oh and by the way, you can see 4 chan images but i havent tried fixing captcha. (if it can be fixed).
>>
File: desktop.jpg (156 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
desktop.jpg
156 KB, 1440x900
>not using gvim in $current_year
what's wrong /g/?
>>
>>54439458
>gui pleb
>>
Sublime. Fight me FOSSfags.

The office standard however is Netbeans. It edits text, but goddamn is it straight out of 2005.
>>
>>54439458
>retarded dock taking 10% of your vertical screen space
>only have 900px of it to begin with
>top bar that tells you absolutely fucking nothing except the time and some useless cpu meters.

literally the last person I would take advice from.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 384x384
Visual Studio Community 2015
>>
>>54428977
just don't use any fampai :^)
>>
Only people that need text editors are CSS and HTML fags. So basically total newbies.
>>
>>54429056
this, tbqh.

install this
https://packagecontrol.io/installation
>>
>>54429087
Try VSCode, it's developed from the same framework as Atom. Might work better for you.
>>
>>54438499
>:^)
>>
>>54429087
try this

https://www.sublimetext.com
>>
File: Screenshot - 080516 - 18:56:13.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot - 080516 - 18:56:13.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>54440499
this is the top bar he needs, right?
doin it right?
>>
>>54440743
fucking nailed it, that's a hacker top bar if I ever saw one.
>>
>>54440681
>>54440756
Throw in a BlackArch theme and everyone will know you're a real hacker at a glance.
>>
>>54440499
>no dock meme
he doesn't understand intellihide
>10%
he doesn't understand percentages

>useless cpu meters
expect it tells me what frequency my cpu is running at, so it useful

i'm sorry you don't understand anon

>>54440743
>>54440756
thats fucking terrible and cancer to the eyes
>>
File: .png (23 KB, 787x591) Image search: [Google]
.png
23 KB, 787x591
>>54426356
Why Vim on Linux?
>>
>>54431638
>Being a pleb and using jquery

kek
>>
>>54440816
back to your desktop thread
>>
>>54440867
Random guess: He probably only uses Linux on servers where vim is readily available due to it generally being preinstalled, lightweight and running smoothly inside a terminal.
>>
>>54426310
I have never used anything but Vim. Is emacs any good?
>>
>>54441007
no. it's easier to use than vi/vim but it's a lot larger of a program and is overkill (plus uses a gui by default)

>>54440975
that'd be vi that's installed by default, not ViM

>>54440961
K i'm sorry anon, I didn't mean to trigger you with gViM
>>
>>54441029
>that'd be vi that's installed by default, not ViM
I don't know a single distro on planet earth that comes with vi preinstalled
>>
>>54441186
i havent seen vi or pico preinstalled since early 2000 on linux, but it was stock standard on redhat/mandrakesoft predating that though. Must be the closed source thing as to why it was ditched... But yeah i used to use them.
>>
>>54441007
Yes, far better than vim. It has a steep learning curve though and to truly use all its capabilities you have to know the basics of Lisp, so it's not for everyone.
>>
File: 1462655976613s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1462655976613s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
Supposedly, evil mode combines the best parts of emacs and vim. Someone sell me on it. Why would I want to use emacs with evil as opposed to standalone vim?
>>
>>54441029
>>54441186
>>54441240
if I type 'vi' on a centos 7 minimal install, what am I getting?
>>
>>54443547
I'm pretty sure that on CentOS vi is just a symlink to vim, because you have vimtutor installed by default
>>
Is there a linux gui text editor witht he following features:
- can open 2 files side-to-side
- can set background to be transparent
- can use a custom bg image
- syntax highlighting
?
>>
>>54443096
To be edgy and evil
>>
>>54445985
AHAHAHHAHA
>Linux
>GUI

Windows 10 master race here!
>>
>>54445985
vim
>>
>>54443096
If you're happy with vim, I wouldn't recommend it. It can take some time to get used to emacs. As someone who wanted to more easily extend my editor, switching to emacs was great. It's a lot easier to create new operators, motions, text objects, and plugins in general in my opinion. As an end user, there is also the possibility for benefit. I like a lot of the plugins better (e.g. aggressive-indent, helm, ivy, avy, flycheck, etc.).

If you like to use vim-like applications, emacs is also good because all the software that runs in it (e.g. irc and mail clients) is more vim-like than the alternatives because of evil. You can also use the nice functionality of unrelated plugins. For example, you can fuzzy search your emails or any text in a buffer with ivy.
>>
>>54446078
How?

I'm currently using terminator and vim which is the closest thing to it I could think of. proper guis editors are just more comfortable to use
>>
>>54426310
I use GNU Emacs everywhere.
>>
>>54446174
Vim allows for splits. Your terminal can be transparent. You can set your wallpaper to an image. Vim has syntax highlighting. Gvim is a proper GUI editor and can be made transparent.

Emacs can also do all of these things, but I think you can make the background transparent without using the compositor.
>>
>>54446213
Gvim seems to be controlled in the same way as vim in a terminal though
>>
>>54446386
What do you mean?
>>
>>54426310
>shitty pico clone
lmao @ ur life
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.