[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck GAYMERS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: blaasd.jpg (719 KB, 1025x926) Image search: [Google]
blaasd.jpg
719 KB, 1025x926
Seriously, for days I have been researching options to build a workstation-type rig to run multiple VMs and some demanding R/Python scripts together with a dual 4k monitor setup. I don't give a single fuck about gaming. And throughout my research of possible reviews and combination of processors and videocards all I see is

> Gaming-Rig, ultimate 4K killer gaming machine, super SLI surround gaming, GAYMING, GAYMING, GAYMING,...

Seriously, fuck gamers. Every fucking youtube video is about gaming rigs. This whole shit makes decent research almost impossible!
>>
>>54425500
If you need help figuring out what parts you need you don't deserve to make fun of gamers.
>>
>>54425500
>he uses youtube to research what components to buy
>>
>>54425500
>being so retarded you need a fucking video to explain how to spec a workstation

kys, you're hardly any better
>>
>doing part research on youtube
guess what, op? you're their target audience
>>
>>54425533
Well sorry, my last pc build was about 10 years ago and I am sort of out of the info-loop and need to research a lot of stuff to get up to date. But I guarantee you back then it wasn't all about fucking gayming.

>>54425540
>>54425546
Of course I focus on tech articles and non-video reviews but there is nothing wrong to wanting to see a specific component in action, but why does it always have to be seeing it in action while gayming?
>>
I guess the real reason is that the processor and memory performance is really important to me, but all these reviews (even if they have my desired processor in their rigs) just focus on benchmark-performance for games and thereby focus on mostly videocard performance. It's hard to distinguish processor and memory performance from all those videocard SLI rigs.
>>
Eh.
Always the same excuses with these threads.
NO I SWEAR I AM NO RETARD I JUST OUT OF LOOP FOR 10 YEARS GUIS I SWER PLS HALP ME DOIN SOMETHING I CAN DO ON GOGLE IN 10 MINUTSS
>>
>>54425656
>but why does it always have to be seeing it in action while gayming?
Because that's what sells.

The gayming industry is several billions of dollars. They know retarded 12 years old gaymur want to see muh specs in action, which is why lots of youtube content is about this, to make money out of gaymurs
>>
>>54425656
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-5810-Intel-Xeon-E5-1650-3-5GHz-Turbo-16GB-Win-7-Pro-Nvidia-4GB-/252374500803

enjoy
>>
>>54425687
>>54425818
Use google to look specifically for VM CPU benchmarks. Look towards Toms Hardware and Anandtech.
>>
>>54425687
How retarded can you be? Grab a mainstream 6 or 8 core i7 or dual xeons if you really need more power. RAM performance is all the same pretty much. Also, IPC has been going up like 2-3% each iteration.
>>
>>54425853
very true.

>>54425874
thank you. I am already looking at some HP / Dell workstations on ebay.

>>54425912
thank you. What pisses me off the most is that I don't know how to do decent research without stumbling into the gaming-rig arena.

>>54425932
yes that will be about the components I will most likely settle on, but I still want to research properly before possibly spending >$2k on everything
>>
>>54425500
I am willing to bet that you will blow your money on Titan like a retard.
>>
>>54425974
in no fucking universe will I ever do that.
>>
>>54425967
If you're in the us you can use the lenovo epp discount, it's in /tpg/
>>
There are two kinds of people that still build PCs: professionals and gamers. Professionals usually know what they need.

That's it, mystery solved.
>>
>>54426117
>Professionals usually know what they need.
And if they don't they buy pre built workstations.
>>
>dual 4k monitors
>not a gaymer

wtf are you doing OP?
>>
>>54425533
>>54425540
>>54425546
>>54425581
>you jus gotta know every part and how it fits together
Sorry to destroy your nerd delusions, but some people have a life beyond circlejerking about hardware specs on /g/. Now kill yourselves you mouth breathing neckbeards.
>>
>>54426175
Well, if you already need some powerful workstation for virtualization and what not, it makes sense to know basic computer parts

not doing that makes you pretty much a retard
>>
>>54426171
I just want a lot of screen work space. I will have to run at least 2 VMs (each at about 720p resolution) which have to be visible and then a few webpages and R/Python outputs. I was thinking about 2x 28" 4k monitors, but can also be smaller than 28-inch
>>
>>54426256
And how come those things can't be run on 1080p monitors?

In fact, at this very moment i have 4 VMs (Win server 2012 and 3 clients) on 1 1080p monitor. Sure, it would be nice to have 2 monitors but i sure as fuck wouldn't be buying 4k monitors for simple VMs

Better use that money to buy better CPU/more storage/more ram
>>
>>54426175
Then buy a Dell or HP workstation and fuck off
>>
>>54425500
If you're doing "research" on YT of all fucking places you're probably the issue here.
>>
>research
>youtube
>"gaymers"
>doesn't know how to properly filter content he doesn't want to see
Yep, we're dealin' with a retard.
>>
>>54426294
I was thinking about 1080p setups a lot as well, and perhaps I will end up with 3x 1080p which would be the same price or even lower than 2x 4k but I also want to go with the time and I saw 4k monitors in action and was instantly sold on them.
I want to be safe to run up to 4 VMs at 720p or slightly higher and at the same time display a few webpages and have a few scripts open + terminal / cmd-line and task manager / activity monitor.

>>54426332
wasn't me = OP in that other post, but it's basically true what he said, I am from a finance background and care about technology more as a hobby so naturally I know a lot less compared to average people here working in tech.
>>
>>54426390
If you can find cheap 4k monitors who am i to tell you not to buy it...

But afaik, 4k monitors still don't have good refresh rate (still 60Hz) so you basically have HUGE diminishing returns for subjectively slightly better picture, nothing more except that.

If you look for business monitors, consider also ultra-wide monitors, maybe you just need more space, not better quality of picture?
>>
>>54426445
Your 4k monitor as something like Titan, it's indeed is the best but it's only like 10% better than things that cost half of it
>>
>>54426390
>>54426445
>>54426456
to be honest was also thinking about something like this setup: tripple 1080p
>>
File: 1459948007610.png (797 KB, 812x806) Image search: [Google]
1459948007610.png
797 KB, 812x806
>>54425500
Dell.com seems right up your alley since you needed to browse YouTube of all fucking places for tech help and not asking in an actual tech forum.

Also
>STOP DOING THINGS I DONT LIKE

Fuck right off manchild
>>
>>54425500
>youtube
>decent research
>>
>>54426175
>Sorry to destroy your nerd delusions, but some people have a life beyond circlejerking about hardware specs on /g/
You ask help from people who know shit about what you have no clue and you trash them...
You sure know how to deal with people with your condescending behavior.
People like you are the reason I gave up helping others in IT, if you can't be polite or use google yourself then fuck off and buy an hp/dell prebuild workstation instead.
>>
File: 29e.jpg (77 KB, 680x1020) Image search: [Google]
29e.jpg
77 KB, 680x1020
>been out of the loop
Dual-socket 8-core Intel Xeon 2670 CPUs are going for $60 a piece on eBay as businesses upgrade to the next gen CPUs. Imagine having an absolute monster of a workstation with 16 cores and 32 threads. Add as much ECC RAM as your heart desires. Asus Z10PA-16 WS motherboard should be an excellent workstation motherboard to go with the Xeons that has all the pro features you could want. You need at least 2 sticks of RAM for it (one per CPU, as the user manual says). Also you need a computer case that supports the SSI EEB motherboard form factor: I recommend the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, Enthoo Luxe, or Enthoo Primo for that non-gaymer modern/professional/sleek A E S T H E T I C. Pair it with a Seasonic X-850 PSU just to ensure plenty of headroom for upgrades to storage and/or a professional video card.
For quick loading speeds I'd put your OS on a 256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD and store your large data/programs on a 1TB or larger hard drive.
>not claiming to be an expert but this is what I'm considering for my next rig as an electrical/computer engineering student
>currently running an FX-8350 (fell for the meme 3 years ago) and it's aight for now, but I will need to upgrade on a Xeon once I'm doing serious stuff
>16 cores of Xeon computing power will run laps around an i7 memelake all day, esp with last-gen used Xeons priced so cheaply
>>
>>54427215
it wasn't OP
>>
>>54427217
thanks for the input, a lot of stuff I will look into.
>>
>>54427217
i wonder how that Xeon performs compared to my i5 4670. I guess single core is better in i5 but overall speed?
>>
File: IMG_0631.jpg (99 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0631.jpg
99 KB, 900x900
>>54425500
>muh gaymers
>uses youtube for research
>needs spoonfeeding to make a decent pc-build
>>
None of the things you want to do require much power relatively speaking.
>>
>>54427467
The higher clock speed, esp if you have it overclocked, might make the difference in single core, but I could be wrong
>>
cool story bro
>>
>>54425500
triggered
>>
>>54426175
Says the one too retarded to even understand basic instructions lmao
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.