[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
External HDD (1TB WD My Passport USB 3.0) died on me. Was using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: HDDs.jpg (2 MB, 3552x2000) Image search: [Google]
HDDs.jpg
2 MB, 3552x2000
External HDD (1TB WD My Passport USB 3.0) died on me.

Was using it and suddenly it unmounted (and disappeared from /dev/).
Reconnected it and
>Spins
>Head seems to work
>No clicking noise
>It just sits there spinning and flashing the LED

It mounted briefly once, tried copying files, was doing it albeit slowly, then it unmounted again.

>Have another like that
>Swapped mother/board
>Also swapped the firmware ICs
>Other disk works with this board, so transplant was successful
>This HDD does exactly the same

I'm thinking the damaged part is the Pre-Amplifier in the HDD head.

Does anybody have experience with his kind of this?

What should I replace, the head from the working HDD into this one? Or the platters from the damaged to the new one?

The only thing there that wasn't backed up somewhere else was 5+ years worth of code I wrote for this and that.

Pic is the ICs I replaced to test the mother board swapping with another.
>>
b-pump?
>>
>>54424455
recover from latest backup
>>
>>54424639
T_T

That was my poor-man's backup drive...
>>
>>54424649
Should've sent it to a specialized data recovery center without touching anything, but that would've costed you much more than buying 2-3 more drives and do redundant backups.
>>
>>54424681
I will risk it and try to fix it with my donor drive.

I just need to decide,
>move the platters from patient to donor
>move head from donor to patient
>>
>>54424455
>My Passport
AHAHAHA FAGGOT
>>
>>54424701
I'd say don't open them, one particle of dust gets in there its toast. Try the freezer trick first
>>
>>54424455
do you have a clean room? if not you might be fucked if you open it.
>>
i concur with fellow anons, don't open it. Chances are shit WILL get ruined beyond repair.
if you really want the data on the drive send it to a professional.

if your hellbent on giving it a try in the name of " fuck it why not" your best bet would be to turn on the shower on full blast fucking hot and steam out the entire bathroom. wait till all the steam has settled and now you have a nice dust free area to start the procedure.
>>
File: clean-room-deadhardrive.jpg (56 KB, 608x474) Image search: [Google]
clean-room-deadhardrive.jpg
56 KB, 608x474
don't expose the platters unless you're in a clean room
heads hover /extremely/ close to the disk surface during operation, even the tiniest particle of dust will crash into the head
even fucking fingerprints are thicker
>>
>>54424455
just get another HDD and remember to have your data in more place than one in the future
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.