[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hackintosh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1461851814509.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461851814509.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Because I'm curious as fuck and have a spare 2.5" drive, I'm going to install OS X onto my thinkpad.
Why? Because I wanna tinker with shit.

What should I expect from this, other than broken piece of shit OS and software?
>>
Too risky to use some random bios patch for tinkering with OSX.
>>
No problems here
>>
>>54423368
Back in my uni I was running Mavericks on x201 just for the fun of it. Sadly your experience with both installing and using hackintosh will entirely depend on your hardware. If a single piece of your HW is either unsupported by apple or modders you are fucked.
> installation succeeds almost on every hw
> you can boot to osx on almost no hw
> play around with installation until you can
> when it boots play for next 2 weeks to make it non-shit
> no drivers.png
>>
>>54423368
Should work fine as long as you have a Intel processor. If you want wireless support you need something that is supported by OS X, so if you have a Intel wireless card you can kiss wireless goodbye unless you replace it.

It's not very hard, but for the love of fuck don't use the Niresh crap or other 3rd party OS X "distros" to install it. Do it the real fucking way, use Clover and a USB stick with OS X on, unless you want a hacked-together piece of shit that has outdated shitty kexts, barely fucking works and is probably ridden with backdoors some basement dwelling Russian inserted. Niresh, iATKOS and similar distros are babby's first OS X installation and it fucking sucks dicks.

There's multiple of sites to get you started. InsanelyMac is known for their guides, Tonymacx86 is also a well known site (their tools are a little hated within the community due to being proprietary, but otherwise they're fine). If you need a simple site instead of forums, try Skyline OS X.
>>
O Z M O S I S
Z
M
Z

If your motherboard supports it, that is.

>stick normal OSX install USB into PC without any bootloader fuckery
>it just werks
>>
>>54423368
If you succeed, you'll get bored of it pretty quickly. There's nothing special about OS X. Sure, it's pretty, is Unix, and having le real console and the package managers is nice. But Finder, Launchpad and the dock are quite awful, window management is nonexistent, and graphic performance is poor because Apple won't update opengl lol.
I still use it as my daily facebook OS because it keeps me from wasting time on games.
>>
>>54424376
this is so true, x220 here, spent money on an ssd, another 4gb of ram (so now I have 6) and and osx ootb half height pcie mini wifi card , installed it all and installed osx, it was fun for the first day, then it just got boring and the window management is awful, it looks pretty in screenshots though, other than that it's meh, I wiped 4 days later and went back to debian with i3, all is comfy now.
>>
>>54423880
You must be kidding. Clover is trash
>>
>>54424442
Debian? Oh god. You must really hate yourself.
>>
>>54424523
this is your only option since all osx capable alternatives are much worse.
>>
>>54423880
Yeah, I'm not using these "special" distros
I'm getting myself a VMWare image of OS X El Capitan and I'll work with things there

Seems like I even found stuff how to get it fully working (without wireless sadly) on my Thinkpad
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/thanks-rehabman-yosemite-run-perfect-on-my-t440p.145029/#post-896309
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.