[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is best for gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1863xk84tlu9yjpg.jpg (21 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
1863xk84tlu9yjpg.jpg
21 KB, 636x358
What is best for gaming?
>>
I think a monitor is more likely to be superior in terms of color and response. I say that using a TV myself.
>>
>console gaming: TV
>PC gaming: monitor
>>
>>54419927
this tbqhwy
>>
monitor
sage
>>
>>54419895
Literally both perform the same functions.

Just depends on the specs of the two devices.
>>
>>54419895
Monitor vs TV
didn't really care

But i use A TV now at 75hz 1080p
and its got speakers and in built sound card.

Can't find any 1080p monitors in monitors worth a damn in my country , 720p shills are in number here I also have a 720p monitor in sale
>>
>>54419895
If both are LCD - Monitors, generally.
A plasma or OLED tv will blow you away with its contrast, though.
>>
>>54419895
Monitors

>usually less input lag
>usually better display quality
>usually true 4:4:4 panel
>>
Can TVs even 144hz?
>>
>>54420090
No. They can interpolate with their ExtraSmoothBullshit tech.
>>
Monitor even console gaming

Small panel/high ppl its great for games with little details.
>>
Monitors, because most TVs have long response times, resulting in input lag.
>>
>>54419895
tv for comfy games that dont require complete precision

monitor for shit like rooty tooty point n shooties
>>
Monitor for PC gaming definitely, less latency, better colors

TV for console, latency is less of a worry for console players plus tv usually comes with built in sound which might be a bonus
>>
is there even a difference between TVs an monitors those days?
>>
>>54420338
Yes. There's typically a tradeoff between the performance of the components and the variety of them (e.g., TVs have lots of inputs, digital tuners, "smart" features, etc.).
>>
>>54420338
TVs are designed to display "gimped" YCbCr 4:2:2 picture and they do a ton of image processing, which usually cause input lag.
Monitors get RGB 4:4:4 signal and are supposed to be as "raw" as possible.
>>
>>54420372
>>54420431
Also films are in 16-235 range but monitors are 0-255. That's why when you play movies on your PC without recalibrating they may look washed out, and if you connect the PC to a TV without proper configuration you'll lose detail in dark scenes (black crush).
>>
>>54420645
One thing I haven't been able to sort out on PC>TV is bright greens and reds. As text they're totally illegible and white text inside red or green panels gets bled onto. I don't know what to adjust to fix that without ruining the look of everything else.
>>
File: ef03db77_testx_b.png (527 KB, 760x580) Image search: [Google]
ef03db77_testx_b.png
527 KB, 760x580
>>54420734
It's probably caused by chroma subsampling. Some (usually more expensive) TVs can do a true 4:4:4 when set to "PC mode" and with DVI->HDMI cable (not HDMI->HDMI), but with most you're SoL.
>>
File: 1307164224951.gif (856 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1307164224951.gif
856 KB, 320x240
>>54419927
>not hooking up consoles to a monitor
>>
>>54420878
>not HDMI->HDMI
Well then I'm double boned, because it's cheap and connected as above.

I toyed around for a few minutes and could resolve the issue with color and sharpness tweaks, but then going back to regular text was a nightmare. Oh well. At least everything except those two particular cases looks nice.
>>
>>54419895
Monitor always.

My faggot roommate uses a TV and he works at boston market so what does that tell you
>>
>>54419895

Depends on the game and device. There's never a "best" of anything in life and hopefully that will never change.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.