[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would a chrome book be worth getting for college? I have a desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Would a chrome book be worth getting for college? I have a desktop PC. This would just be something I'd use to type notes and view pdfs and shit.
>>
Off yourself.
>>
>>54419217
So I take it I shouldn't get one?
>>
>>54419182
Isn't that forbidden by their big priest mohamad? Will he have is head cut off?
>>
I wouldn't recommend it, for two reasons. The first is that ChromeOS really isn't meant for things to stay local. Without an internet connection you're using online browser apps in offline mode, rather than a discrete program which resides on your computer. File management also sucks ass because you were never intended to store and manipulate the majority of your files locally.

The other reason I don't suggest it is that there are competitively priced alternatives. There are 11-13" notebooks which for all intents and purposes are netbooks, but come with a proper OS with which you do your work locally.
>>
Yeah, buy an Asus one or Chromebook with an x86 CPU, install a good Linux distro instead of Chrome.
>>
You're going to get your ass kicked if a cool kid sees with you a Chromebook nerd!
>>
>>54419261
Ok thanks man, only serious response here.
>>
File: 1461875614748.png (186 KB, 307x315) Image search: [Google]
1461875614748.png
186 KB, 307x315
>>54419182
>Applebee's
>Good
>>
>>54419996
>Grizzlebees
>not good
have you even tried their new jalomaplepeno sauce?
>>
>>54419996
We ain't all rich..
>>
>>54419261
>>54419331
Check the specific model you can usually install coreboot and get rid of any trace of chrome OS and get a real Linux distro.

Only one I would get is first gen Chromebook pixel for under $400 if you are OK with 32gb ssd (you can use ssd but...). Amazing screen, and processor for the price but only about 5 hour battery life. Get a used Thinkpad if you want a more well rounded machine (with a shitty TN panel though)
>>
File: 20160410_193615.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160410_193615.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>54420157
Save and go to a better restaurant. The less often you eat out, the more you value your meal.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.