[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ I fucked up, I just bought a hard drive and I dropped it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 1443190135903.png (301 KB, 1376x1224) Image search: [Google]
1443190135903.png
301 KB, 1376x1224
/g/ I fucked up, I just bought a hard drive and I dropped it by mistake, it fell down from like 50cm, and the bag is still closed (because its new) what do I do? How can I now if its broken?
>>
Use a magnet to gently pull the broken components back into their position. Make sure it's a really strong magnet. You'll know it's working when the hard drive clicks like a grasshopper when you plug it in. After it starts clicking, it might take some time for it to mount on your computer, so leave it plugged in for a while. The clicking sound is the read/write heads checking the magnetic disk inside the hard drive.
>>
>>54417906
shake it
>>
Return it and say it was faulty
>>
>>54417906
Connect it to a motherboard by some means and run a S.M.A.R.T. test, either through something like HDAT or Smartmontools. Gsmartcontrol if you want something in Windows.
>>
What harddrive was it?
>>
>>54417906
SSD doesnt have this problem
>>
OP here, the hdd is still in the bag, its literally new, Its not even open. Do i just return it? Is a fall fatal?
>>
>>54418206
NO ONE KNOWS UNLESS YOU TEST IT. Run an extended SMART test if you want to know, return it for a replacement if you don't want to take the time. Christ.
>>
>>54418077
This. When aligning the pieces with the magnet make sure to move consistently in the same direction
>>
>>54418077
This works great. I've broken a hard drive before and this worked
>>
>>54417906
HDDs are generally safe from shock when they're off. But I'd return it anyway just to be safe.
>>
>>54418187
SSDs are also a waste for data storage
>>
>>54418317
Why is that?
>>
>>54417906
Return it, and next time don't drop your shit you clumsy fuckknuckle.
>>
>>54417906
A fucking 50cm fall won't kill a hdd what the fuck jesus
>>
>>54418337
price/GB is far higher
>>
>>54418373
>being poor
>>
>>54417906
I did this before with a brand new caviar red.
Shit was fucked.
Oh well, see if they'll return it.
I didn't have time to deal with that shit, and it was only 100 or so, so I got a new one.
>>
>>54418337
unless the files that you save needs to be accessible at all times, you get better use of executables and system files on an SSD than on an HDD so eh, it's all about managing your files :)
>>
>>54418077
Wow this actually worked, nicely done /g/
>>
>>54418388
>wasting money
Excluding laptops, an SSDs only benefit is speed. I don't need the speed of an SSD for storing movies and TV shows. Hell most of my HDDs are connected to SATA I ports
>>
unless it was running, which it wasn't, a fall of that height isn't likely to do damage

now if it was spinniung and it experienced that, that would be a huge concern
>>
>>54418454
imagine if the reading needle wasn't parked :v
>>
>>54418287
>>54418357
I hope so
>>
>buy thing
>break thing
>return it claiming it was dead on arrival
Why don't you just kill yourself while you're at it ?
>>
>>54418553
It was something retarded I know, I might kill myself
>>
>>54418577
Not only is it retarded, it's fucking pathetic to do this.
>>
>>54418077
/thread
>>
>>54418577
Shit happens OP,return it and maybe you can get a new one
>>
>>54418077
Holy shit, actual advice!
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.