[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tapehead thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
OK tapeheads, post your decks. If you're a babby and not a tapehead, go play Angry Birds while you listen to your digital music that you pay in order to hear streamed.
>>
Tapes are objectively superior for some uses to this day.
>>
>>54416521
Like what?
>>
>>54416521
oh i cant wait for this justification
pls, go on anon
>>
>>54416865
You know, hipstering purposes.
>>
File: NakamichiDragon.jpg (101 KB, 1200x383) Image search: [Google]
NakamichiDragon.jpg
101 KB, 1200x383
Nice I love the analog tape sound, more so then vinyl. However, they can sound like shit if you don't use metal tape with dolby b/c compression and less then 3 heads.
I been drooling over a Nakamichi Dragon for a couple of months.
>>
File: p028i4.jpg (286 KB, 1054x751) Image search: [Google]
p028i4.jpg
286 KB, 1054x751
>>54416865
>>54416901

Foley, you can slow tape way the fuck down, digital breaks down if you slow it down too much.

Additionally it can record right down to DC which is useful for certain technical purposes, which are top secret.

>>54416940

GB2R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbp5-X3tk-s
>>
>>54416976
>metal tape with dolby b/c compression and less then 3 heads.
Not always, depends on the material. There are many credible 2-head decks out there.

The Dragon has the disadvantages of being meme-tier and difficult to service. Sony units made for technical service are so much more rugged, and the sound quality is excellent if you don't mind the 'technical equipment rack' look.
>>
>he fell for the compact cassette meme.

8 track was the superior format. brah.
>>
My favorite album (Teitanblood - Seven Chalices) was recorded on a reel to reel and then mastered digitally. How much time and money can I expect to sink into this if I just want a decent sound?

I already know about digital mastering.
>>
File: JVC KD-1635 MarkII.preview.jpg (109 KB, 700x431) Image search: [Google]
JVC KD-1635 MarkII.preview.jpg
109 KB, 700x431
>>54417162
>8 track cassette
>size of compact cassette plus player / recorder
>same audio quality

OK there meme lord.
>>
>>54417231
>he doesn't have a '78 trans-am to haul his gear around.

pleb.
>>
>>54417161
>My favorite album (Teitanblood - Seven Chalices) was recorded on a reel to reel and then mastered digitally. How m

Yeah, you're right about the service. The price of the machine and service is ridiculous. It would just be a nice collectors piece however it will never be worth the price. Love the look of technics RS-X and nakamichi cr-x editions probably settle with one of those
>>
File: technics_rs-b905_front_panel.jpg (94 KB, 1000x514) Image search: [Google]
technics_rs-b905_front_panel.jpg
94 KB, 1000x514
>>54417445
Don't why that green text came up x_X
>>
>>54417445
Look for the Sony and JVC commercial-grade decks. They were meant for 24/7 duty cycle use and have really nice durable moving parts, capstans, switches, etc. They were made to endure. Home gear can be made to this level of durability but parts and service, as you note, are a huge fucking issue.

I'm worried about my WM-D3 eventually developing the 'click of death' because it's such an amazing deck. 3D printing might be my solution there.

Still, tapes are useful even today.
>>
Hahaha checkmate! You have 15 seconds to refute this image.

Dust notwithstanding, I was in the desert.
>>
>>54416501
>babby
baby
>>
File: phillipsboombox.jpg.w560h420.jpg (65 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
phillipsboombox.jpg.w560h420.jpg
65 KB, 560x420
i use this at work
>>
>>54418852
How is it?
>>
>>54417165
>My favorite album (Teitanblood - Seven Chalices) was recorded on a reel to reel and then mastered digitally. How much time and money can I expect to sink into this if I just want a decent sound?
>I already know about digital mastering.

$100 will buy you a credible used deck, tapes are extra.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.