[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've installed Debian with the default values: NAME MAJ:MIN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: debian.png (81 KB, 1028x1270) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81 KB, 1028x1270
I've installed Debian with the default values:

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 1,8T 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 1,8T 0 part /
├─sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 31,8G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

31,8G of SWAP. Holy fucking shit! Why?
>>
your amount of ram times two
>>
>>54413443
How much RAM does your machine have? I bet you have at least 16GBs.
>default
>caring about the results
>>
>>54413443
if you have 16GB of memory then 32 GB of swap is the "recommended" amount as in "won't collide with anything" amount
>>
>>54413457
>>54413466
>>54413506
That's exactly it. I never use all the RAM. I think I'll never use those 31,8GB.
>>
>>54414024
Then same as you shouldn't have all this RAM if you'll never use it, you shouldn't have all this SWAP if you'll never use it.
>>
What is swap?
>>
>>54413443
RTFM Anon
>>
>>54414125
a process of fitting a car with an engine from another (usually incompatible) vehicle/model
>>
>>54413443
>having 1.8TiB of disk space
>caring about 32GiB

But you can always remove/shrink that partition and, as an example, adjust the root partition to fill the void
>>
>>54413443
>>54414024
Swap is useless, it was good back when people had 1GB of ram available, today there is no reason to have swap at all. Delete partition, grow sda2 and delete swap entry from fstab. It's literally wasted 31GB
>>
>>54413443
>Why?
Well hibernation would be one good reason to have that much swap. The defaults seem to err on the max side of swap, which is 2X ram.
If you don't use hibernation, 4GB can be considered a sane default regardless of ram size.
>>
>>54414217
That doesn't sound right
>>
>>54413443
you absolute manman
>>
>>54414237
Well I'd say at 16GB point swap becomes somewhat useless, before that there are clear benefits.
Unused pages can be stored in swap and thus free up more memory.
More memory means bigger cache to store files for fast fetching.
I can easily populate 16GB ram in normal work scenarios, it would suck balls if I didn't have a swap file.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.