[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best cross platform office suite? I've seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: unnamed.png (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
9 KB, 300x300
What's the best cross platform office suite? I've seen people say that Libreoffice sucks balls, is that true?
>>
just use microsoft office, there is no replacement

/thread
>>
LibreOffice works just fine.
It is free, so if you don't like it buy MS Office.
>>
>>54412219
*.txt and *.md are all you really need
>>
WPS Office is a decent chink clone of MS Office and allegedly has better compatibility with MS Office documents than LibreOffice.
>>
>>54412225
This.

>cross-platform
There only one good platform anyway, which is Windows.
>>
WPS is better than libreoffice in pretty much every way.
>>
>>54412219
They're all shit when it comes to compatibility
>>
>>54412219

Libre is fine for me, but MS is great too whenever I used it on other computers.

The only major problem is that a document made in one will probably get fucked when you open it in the other. And since MS is greatly more popular if you are doing collaborative stuff it's probably your best bet. If not, go Libre and send pdfs.
>>
>>54412388
>There only one good platform anyway, which is Windows.

True words.
>>
>>54412219
What do you need?
LO Writer is pretty good. LO Calc (Excel) can do all the basic stuff, it does everything I need it for. LO Impress (Powerpoint) is alright as well.
>>
>>54412388

Microsoft Office IS cross-platform. It runs on Mac OS and on Android.
>>
>>54412219
>Libreoffice sucks balls, is that true?
Yes, it is true.

>>54412225
/thread
even the 2007 version is better than libreoffice
>>
>>54413313
Also runs on IOS
>>
>>54412219
yes it is true that op suck balls
>>
File: lenovo_n380_1-100267065-large.png (294 KB, 580x425) Image search: [Google]
lenovo_n380_1-100267065-large.png
294 KB, 580x425
>>54413354

Sorry, I only mentioned relevant stuff.

iOS isn't used on desktops so...
>>
>>54412219
Even Google Docs is better than Open Office to be honest.
>>
MS Office is unrivaled in terms of small documents and spredsheets, the good thing is you can use it online.
>>54413336
LO is really bad, freetards go vocal about it becasue that's what they've got.

The real problem with Office is becasue the ease of use dumb people overuse it instead of learning the proper tool for the job, namely Latex, R, Matlab, SQL, you name it.
>>
http://cloud.open365.io/
>>
>>54413405
>using android on desktops
Take this shitty you laugh you lose thread back to
>>>/b/
>>
>>54413431

This.

WYSIWYG is a meme.
>>
File: HP-Touch-21-G01.jpg (53 KB, 600x387) Image search: [Google]
HP-Touch-21-G01.jpg
53 KB, 600x387
>>54413450

>if I ridicule it, maybe it will go away
>>
Android a shit on desktops

You need ACTUAL multitasking in a desktop
>>
>>54413531

Maybe you do, but most office monkeys don't.

Reminder that a few decades ago, end-users were literally making do with MS-DOS on their workstations.
>>
LaTeX is the best word processor.
>>
The only Microsoft Office application that is genuinely good is Excel.
LaTeX is the only way to go for word processing and PowerPoint is a meme that needs to die.
>>
File: remix os.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
remix os.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>54413480
What the fuck, that's Android ICS or something? Not even a legitimate desktop oriented Android version like Remix OS.

>>54413531
Agree, but >le android doesn't have real multitasking meme needs to die.
http://www.jide.com/remixos
>>
>>54414008
last time I tried RemixOS multitasking was shite, but it was months ago. Gonna try again because why not.
>>
>>54414064
It's still not a full fledged desktop os, but it's gotten better.
>>
>>54412219
Nonexistent. Here are some good replacements for various platforms
1. MS office in wine/Office 365 in browser
2. Google Docs, Slides, Sheets and Drive in a browser
3. iWork if you use OS X
All other options suck.
>>
>>54413609
> LaTEX word processor
>>
>>54412267
This if you want a MS Office clone. LIbre is fine for most of shit you would need.
>>
>>54412219
WPS Office is a cross platform office suite that has the best MS office support.
>>
File: ninja.webm (187 KB, 610x340) Image search: [Google]
ninja.webm
187 KB, 610x340
>>54412219
>What's the best cross platform office suite?
None. They're all shit.
The last good ms office was 97, open and libre office both suck nigger cock, and apple completely destroyed their iwork, which wasn't even very good to begin with.

>I've seen people say that Libreoffice sucks balls, is that true?
yes.
>>
>>54412219
Yeah, unfortunately there is no alternative to Office...
>>
Such faggots. Use LaTeX or learn to use your software fags, LibreOffice make his work, not more, and for free.
>>
>>54412219
Libre office isn't bad, Just don't expect Microsoft office level of features.

Google docs is another option
>>
>>54412219
If you want to make something really nice looking use LaTeX

If you want to make something with basic formatting use Markdown

If you want to make simple text use .txt
>>
>>54413609
ed, man, ed
>>
use whatever the fuck you want for anything except spreadsheets. I switch between jewgle docs, latex, org mode, and pages depending where I am.

for spreadsheets use excel. native, vm, wine, whatever but excel trumps all /no contest/
>>
What's the cheapest way to get this shit that doesn't involve a torrent?
>>
>>54419309
Make friends with someone in uni and get an educational license with their e-mail address.
>>
Google docs is fine. I work for $50b company and we use google docs instead of office and exchange.
>>
microsoft office is superior in pretty much every way
>>
Why is MS office so great again? I have been using alternatives for many years now so I don't even know
>>
>>54420267
At least in my experience, it opens everything regardless of its source with correct formatting. I can't say the same for other suites I've used like OO/LO and Kingsoft, especially when it comes to documents created in MS Office. One could hold that last point against MS Office but what's "great" for me is what works, not why it does or doesn't.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.