[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How fucked am I? HDD spins normally, no clicking or anything,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1.png (188 KB, 671x812) Image search: [Google]
1.png
188 KB, 671x812
How fucked am I? HDD spins normally, no clicking or anything, but doesn't show up as a drive. Shows up in device managers and BIOS still; connected with an enclosure right now.

Tried testdisk and it just read errors when it tries to analyze; recuva doesn't pick up the HDD. Any ideas on what to try? Was quoted $250 for data recovery if successful, out of my budget range right now though.
>>
>>54410671

You're fucked probably. Hope you have backups.
>>
>>54410701
I thought a lot of data can always be recovered from HDDs, this is why I didn't buy a SSD, this and the high failure rates.
>>
>>54410701
Nope, it's about 4 years old. Kill me.

I'm assuming the dumb shit like replacing logic board/freezing it wouldn't do anything here; would a professional even be able to recover from this HDD?
>>
>>54410671
Have you tried to check the drive content from any linux disto? In most scenarios you can recover data using linux, if not then much likely you will need assistance from data recovery companies if you have any critical data on that drive.
And 30k hours is a bretty good result for a desktop-grade hard drives.
>>
>modern hard drives with billions sometimes trillions of sectors
>a handful (literally) go bad, a few hundred at most
>people freak the fuck out overreacting to the so-called massive influx of damage and lost data
>the percentages, man, work the percentages
>an olympic swimming pool doesn't get fucking emptied out because of a drop or two of piss
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>54410885
It's a sign that it's starting to fail. What use is an unreliable HD?

Besides OP has bigger problems namely that it doesn't seem to be detected by Windows.
>>
>>54410671
Is it in gpt format? Windows won't read hard drives bigger than 2tb if it's a MBR drive
>>
>>54410906
Not really, that anon has a point. It all depends. If the number of bad sectors is increasing daily or even weekly, then the drive is definitely dying and there's no more use for it. But if you suddenly get any number of bad sectors and it remains like that for days, weeks and even years, meaning you still can use that drive to store any non-critical data like game installs, temp files, cache files whatever.
>>
>>54410906

Hard drives start failing the moment they're powered on for the first time like any other piece of mechanical technology. As for hard drives and a few sectors going "bad" out of billions and even trillions, it's fear-mongering to claim "the drive is going bad" when that's not even a concern.

S.M.A.R.T. cannot be trusted, at all, ever, only the manufacturer's diagnostic on a given drive is trustworthy - nothing else matters.

I have dozens of hard drives that are bad (actually physically bad drives) and yet their S.M.A.R.T. status is 100% green and ok across all the reporting attributes.

Only use the manufacturer's diagnostic for true accurate information as any other third-party tool is a piece of shit by design.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>54410671
C6 is the worrying part
>>
Try to plug it into several other computers with different OSes. One of my drives had a similar problem years ago, WinXP and 7 couldn't see it, but I was able to run testdisk off my old WindowsME machine that could see it just fine. Some data had been corrupted but the drive was OK.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.