[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>host project on github >gets forked by a much more skilled
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: caught with dragon.jpg (76 KB, 500x704) Image search: [Google]
caught with dragon.jpg
76 KB, 500x704
>host project on github
>gets forked by a much more skilled developer
>he makes really good, consistent progress
>project starts to get popular, someone writes about it in a blog
>try and PR, get ignored
th-thanks
>>
What's the project anon?
>>
>>54410677
Dragon dildos
>>
>>54410686
Are they GPL? That's amazing anon. What a time to be alive.
>>
you had a good idea. that counts for something.
>>
>>54410664
What did you expect? You had a good idea but aren't competent, so someone competent took over all the work and gets all the credit because they're doing all the work.
Why would they want your incompetent contributions?
>>
well cucked
>>
>>54410664

Do you still contribute to it ?
>>
>>54410788
I just watch now
>>
>>54410664
What project m80?
>>
>>54410747
This. Creating FOSS (assuming OP is using the GPL) isn't about getting credit for writing good software, it's simply about creating good software and making it available to everyone. If anything OP should feel proud that he laid down the foundation for potentially good software and that people are using it.
>>
>>54410809
I don't want to stand in the way of my project's free and independent spirit
>>
>>54410664
You should have licensed it with "no derivative works".
>>
>>54410824
Good.

Why did you make this thread?
>>
>>54410664
Integrate the changes he made into your main project and continue developing happily.
You should be all the time erect that other people recognized your superiority so they decided to use your code, be happy about it.
>>
>>54410809
IMO, I feel like this is something RMS doesn't get which is painfully obvious from his fixation on calling Linux, GNU/Linux. Yes, he did put a lot of effort into GNU but it doesn't matter what people call it, rather that they use and enjoy software that doesn't restrict them in anyway.
>>
>>54410850
It sounds more like they liked his idea but hated his code and replaced it
>>
And this is why you never open source your stuff unless you 100% don't give a shit about it.

Keep it proprietary kids, dont fall for the communist scam that is free software.
>>
>>54410664
You mean, you get to reap the rewards of some person scratching your personal itch for free and you don't even have to pay? Sign me up!
>>
>codecucking
This is my fetish
>>
>>54410868
>if you care about your code, you should ensure that it stays shitty instead of letting better developers improve it
>>
>>54410839
not sure if I should try and reclaim it or confront the guy and ask him to stop, or start a new project for him or what
>>
>>54411323
Why would you want a better developer to stop developing your project for you?
>>
>>54410664

Does the guy credit your work in his readme?
>>
>>54411374
More importantly, does your license require him to?
>>
Jewish OP did NOT gave the link.

FAKE AND JEWISH
>>
>>54411419
sorry if I don't want /g/ to have its way with my code too

>>54411374
>>54411407
no, no
>>
>>54411323
>make software free and open source
>someone makes it better
>reclaim it as your own property

can you actually do this?
>>
>>54411434
>>54411487
What is the license? If you don't have a license, they can't use your code.
>>
>>54410664
Let me guess. Git-standup?
>>
>>54410891
>if you care about control of your project, you should ensure that it stays shitty instead of letting better developers improve it
>>
>>54411487
If it's free software, then people are free to fork and distribute the code. If it's just open source then you could have added a license that says all forked code belongs to you.
>>
Rename your branch PussyBitch, OP. Accept your role as emasculated, ineffectual developer.
>>
>>54411434
What license? Almost every license I know does require some kind of crediting.

Do what I said above, >>54410850.
>>
>>54411953
BSD
>>
>>54412038
Which BSD? There are over four BSD licenses.
Anyhow, I think all BSD licenses require crediting and not to remove the copyright comment (that includes your name on).
>>
>>54411434

Programming is a very political industry right now. But then academia is very much like that too. "On the shoulders of giants, etc". You'll just have to learn from this experience. Tbh, it's actually a very good experience when you think about it... Here, you've learnt you can develop ideas that extremely smart people really care about.
>>
maybe I could buy it back from him
>>
>>54412446

Cuck.
>>
>>54412446
This worked, thanks guys
>>
>>54410854
False equivalence.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.