[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/BSD/ thread I came cause I have a question why might I consider
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
/BSD/ thread

I came cause I have a question

why might I consider using openBSD instead of freeBSD for my personal computer? I'm looking to install a BSD on this thing, and know my way around freeBSD, but wanna know if I should do openBSD. It ran like shit in a VM so I don't really consider that a good test.

Also waifu wise netBSD is cutest for me
>>
>>54410170

All the BSDs are awesome. That said, you really have to decide based on your usage.

FreeBSD is the one most likely to easily get up and running to look something like a Linux desktop.

OpenBSD and NetBSD have different strengths. You'll need to check your hardware compatibility with them. They're really good to study Unix with though. I find it really nice to understand the elegance of how OpenBSD works. I also like their innovation with security.
>>
>>54410247
I suppose I'll just go for freeBSD and give netBSD a go in a VM... I hope it runs well in there. I found it strange how crippled the performance of openBSD was, now, I was using virtualbox to be honest, which doesn't have the best speed.
>>
>>54410437

I think you'll be happy with FreeBSD. You either get into OpenBSD or not. It isn't for everyone. Their mission statement is security, not optimizing for speed. With a modern system, the most complicated app I run is Firefox. OpenBSD did just get a patch help with Firefox speed issues. It's not in release yet afaik, only in -current.
>>
>>54410592
Iso burnt! See you several compilations later
>>
>>54410170
we need an actual japanese artist to design better BSD-tans, that's for sure

i think there was an official freebsd one a very long time ago, she even had a theme song
>>
>>54410247
This, FreeBSD for my NAS with ZFS, OpenBSD for laptop and Gentoo for workstation ))
>>
>>54410971
How's the power management with OpenBSD?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.