[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What distro to make mainstream
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: whichone.jpg (186 KB, 849x849) Image search: [Google]
whichone.jpg
186 KB, 849x849
/g/entlemen, the main problem with linux is that the community is divided as hell. Today we'll decide what distro to promote and make popular in order to make it more mainstream and get more support etc.
Let's show that /g/ can work together and come to an agreement!
I choose Fedora.
>>
>>54406651
Install Gentoo
>>
>>54406663
I doubt the average user wants to spend a lot of their time compiling software anon
>>
>>54406651
Fedora is nice but the general consensus is that *buntus are the "main" distro.
>>
>>54406651
>the main problem with linux is that the community is divided as hell
That is by design. You misunderstand what OSS is.

>Let's show that /g/ can work together and come to an agreement!
For logos? Maybe. For anything else? Nope, never have and never will.

Install what you like and fuck off.
>>
>>54406651
RHEL/Debian for servers, xubuntu/MATE for old machines, Ubuntu GNOME/Cinnamon or Fedora for everything else.
>>
>>54406651
Ubuntu.
Fedora is shit and the users are beta cucks for red hat hindus and the NSA
>>
>>54406651
Fedora
>>
>>54406883
I hate Fedora users as much as you do but I have to admit Fedora is a pretty solid OS for beginners and laptops in general.
>>
>>54406918
Ubuntu is a solid OS for beginners as well
>>
literally why would you need anything other than Debian

Fedora uses rpms which fragments the package situation on linux

Just use debian and enable non-free repos, you basically have Ubuntu at that point without all the Canonical bullshit
>>
>>54406651
Fedora is a really decent distro. Good combination of bleeding edge and stability. Rhel is behind it, so you actually have a company with real motivation to turn out a good product. User base and wiki is helpful and friendly, go read some bug reports, etc and you will find a difference between some other user base where the response is typically: HAVE YOU READ THE WIKI YOU MORON? MAYBE OSX IS FOR YOU, FAGGOT.
Easy access to non-free repos also. Also: no unity cancer.
>>
>>54406651
Ubuntu Neon.

Ubuntu has the best font rendering OOTB, the best patches and a very fast kernel.
>>
>>54406883
What don't you like about 'Dora?
>>
File: liskodisko.png (111 KB, 1600x977) Image search: [Google]
liskodisko.png
111 KB, 1600x977
>>54406651
pic related
does not need any xfce/dildobuntoo respins, you just choose your desktop of choice at install
>>
>>54406980
Name
>>
>>54406965
>easy access to non-free repos

You mean RPM Fusion? The 3rd party bullshit that isn't even officially supported by Red Hat? No thanks.

p.s. Fedora doesn't even have Chromium in its repository. What a huge fuckup of a distro.
>>
>>54406980
Too religious.
>>
>>54406990
>Fedora doesn't even have Chromium in its repo
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>54406986
>I hate it because it reminds me of muh memes
Wasn't there a rule about having to be +18 to post here?
>>
>>54406651
why does only fedora penguin have pants
>>
>>54407012
Tips*
>>
>Fedora

you mean Red Hat's beta distro? that you couldn't even upgrade without clean installing until very recently? Red Hat doesn't take it seriously and neither should you
>>
>>54406651
I think fedora is a very reasonable choice. Although ubunto isn't bad either. Accessibility is kind of key here. Although really it will have to start coming installed on prebuilts to gain popularity or become mainstream, regular everyday users aren't going to take the time to download and install a new os.
>>
File: 1440066646692.png (886 KB, 892x582) Image search: [Google]
1440066646692.png
886 KB, 892x582
>All these fedora tippers
I'd kill myself if someone finds out I am literally using le fedora OS :DDD
>>
>>54406651
I vote antergos
>>
>Let's make my favourite distro the one for everybody
The taste of freedom
>>
>>54406651
>the main problem with linux is that the community is divided as hell

Welcome to "FOSS."

You should really see the autism that goes down on dev- mailing lists. You'll understand why the wheel is reinvented every two years.
>>
Fellow Fedora user, been using it for years, only other distro I'd consider is openSuse
>>
>>54406990
Google is forking existing FOSS code bits for Chromium like a rabbit makes babies: frequently, and usually, without much thought. Rather than leverage the existing APIs from upstream projects like icu, libjingle, and sqlite (just to name a few), they simply fork a point in time of that code and hack their API to shreds for chromium to use. This is akin to much of the Java methodology, which I can sum up as "I'd like to use this third-party code, but my application is too special to use it as is, so I covered it with Bedazzler Jewels and Neon Underlighting, then bury my blinged out copy in my application.". A fair amount of the upstream Chromium devs seem to have Java backgrounds, which may explain this behavior, but it does not excuse it. This behavior should be a last resort, not a first instinct.
And Fedora has chrome is you want to use that.
Rpm is no different than adding non-free repos to Debian.
>>
>>54406948
some of them sure, but most people today use laptops and Ubuntu a shit on laptops. The "least sucky" *buntu on laptops is Mint, but instead of being "less sucky" Fedora is, you know, good
>>
>>54406971
>Ubuntu has the best font rendering OOTB
Definitely does. Looks amazing
>>
File: 14178767121550.jpg (20 KB, 377x266) Image search: [Google]
14178767121550.jpg
20 KB, 377x266
>tfw memers younger than fedora itself are shitting up the thread

I don't even like that distro
>>
>>54407132
le dIb :DDDDDD

How could you even tell your gf you use fedora? XD
>>
File: 1445208261159.gif (579 KB, 430x430) Image search: [Google]
1445208261159.gif
579 KB, 430x430
>>54406651
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54407094
so what? chromium is still world-class software, so obviously the chromium devs know what they're doing. and none of that shit should matter to the end user anyway.
>>
>>54407057
>caring what people think about you

Being a teenager is hard sometimes, I know.
>>
>>54407119
>>54406971

achieving good font rendering on Linux basically just amounts to enabling sub pixel anti aliasing and font hinting. yeah it sucks that it's not enabled by default in a lot of distros, but it's not hard to do.
>>
I was thinking of getting korora because of the well established irredeemable fedora meme

Trashed it instantly after seeing the horrible default fond rendering

>>54407185
>I don't care people making fun out of me
Having thick skin is a bless
>>
Thoughts on ElementaryOS?
>>
>>54407216
it's shit
>>
>>54407185
>>54407200
I didn't care much about what people thought of me as a teenager. Now I'm much more aware of it, and I actually care more. What people think matters. The OS you use and what people think of you for it doesn't though. People that shit on others for their OS are spergs.
Personally I think Debian would be best.
>>
>>54406651
I choose the one that's worshipping the forces of Chaos in the middle there.
>>
File: indians4.jpg (246 KB, 1017x873) Image search: [Google]
indians4.jpg
246 KB, 1017x873
>>54406651
>Linux users
>agreeing on literally anything

lol
>>
elementary os
beautiful and werks
>>
Puppy
>>
Debian with yum, you cucks
>>
Gentoo would be the best if it had a strong community. I vote Gentoo.
>>
File: openpepe.png (91 KB, 1014x650) Image search: [Google]
openpepe.png
91 KB, 1014x650
>>54406984
>unironically recommending a memedistro
>>
>>54406963
Your average user migrating from windows won't fare too well with Debian. Gotta remember that most users have never even installed Windows, let alone a linux distro like Debian. Just let the babbies get a taste with *buntu, then let them go from there.
>>
>>54406990
I could care less about Chromium. I have to use pipelight, because of LabSims in TestOut, which uses Silverlight. Fuckin' Fedora doesn't have pipelight in the repos, so I can't really use it.
But one thing I'll commend Fedora on, is how stupidly simple it is to connect to Active Directory with it. Especially on 23.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.