[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do monitors try to produce black light? Wouldn't it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1458842324255.jpg (125 KB, 500x481) Image search: [Google]
1458842324255.jpg
125 KB, 500x481
Why do monitors try to produce black light?

Wouldn't it be easier and better looking to turn the pixels off in the area where black color should be produced?
>>
>>54406219
>Wouldn't it be easier and better looking to turn the pixels off in the area where black color should be produced?
Yes that's why they do it that way.
>>
Amoled
>>
>>54406219
>what is backlight
>>
>>54406254
>Yes that's why they do it that way.
Only OLEDs and CRTs work that way, not LCDs.
>>
>>54406219
Only OLEDs can turn themselves completely off to produce black because each pixel lights itself up.

Normal LCD screens have an LED behind them producing a white light to light up the LCD panel.
>>
LCD monitors have 2 settings for backlight, on or off

The pixels work independently of the backlight and there's no communication between the 2
>>
File: 1344709965808.gif (167 KB, 400x289) Image search: [Google]
1344709965808.gif
167 KB, 400x289
>>54406219

plasma displays did that, but were ultimately murdered for cheaper to produce/purchase LCD techs.

plasma displays had pixels which were essentially florescent light tubes, doped with colored phosphorus to make RGB. each pixel or cell, made its own light, no backlight, no polarization filter, which is why plasmas had unlimited viewing angles. largest downfall was the increased energy usage compared to LCDs, and the complaints of sunlight on the glass screen.

i still say plasmas are superior, if there was more support for them (before everyone decided to stop manufacturing them) they could put almost any other tech to shame. cept were energy use is a concern
>>
>>54406581
1440p 120hz OLED monitors when?
>>
It's the backlight that causes that whitish black look, not the pixels
>>
>>54406747
Soonish. Maybe next couple year or so
The new Thinkpad Carbon X1 touch screen version is OLED(or going to be OLED)
>>
File: toungue_smirk.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
toungue_smirk.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>54406672
>tfw I still got my panasonic st50
It really is a bitch in sunlight though, even if it doesn't hit the display directly.
>>
>>54406672
The thin CRT technology that got murdered by a patent troll would put everything to shame
>>
>>54406275
You realize they all do that, right, but certain monitors have light bleed through, right?
>>
>>54407099
>panasonic st50
mah_nigga.jpg
>>
>>54408604

They have light bleed through because they're shitty monitors that were produced cheaply.
>>
>>54408697
Bought it in 2012. Wasn't even expensive. One of the best purchases I've ever done.
>>
>>54406672
>cept were energy use is a concern

So most tablet and laptop screens. It's sad.
>>
>>54406611
>LCD monitors have 2 settings for backlight, on or off

Uh... no. How the hell do you think brightness settings work?

>The pixels work independently of the backlight and there's no communication between the 2
This, on the other hand, is correct.
>>
>>54410605
Well technically it's only able to be on or off, but it can do so very quickly.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (53 KB, 615x326) Image search: [Google]
1[1].jpg
53 KB, 615x326
itt: cooks who don't know that blacklight projection technology exists
>>
>>54411122
>>>/ck/
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.