[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm building a Closed-Source software that executes a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 563254517_c65a0104cd.jpg (40 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
563254517_c65a0104cd.jpg
40 KB, 500x350
So I'm building a Closed-Source software that executes a GPL Open-Source sotware to retrieve data into a variable (result). Am I allowed to be doing this and still remain Closed-Source? It doesn't use any of the GPL software's source code, just executes and reads the output of the binary.

using (Process p = new Process()) {
p.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = false;
p.StartInfo.CreateNoWindow = true;
p.StartInfo.FileName = OpenSourceSoftware.exe;
p.StartInfo.Arguments = args;
p.Start();
p.WaitForExit();

string result = p.StandardOutput.ReadToEnd();
}
>>
ianal, but i'd say yes. As far as I understand it, for the GLP to "spread" into your code (hence the "GLP acts like cancer"), you'd have to link your code and the GPL code (i.e. to call methods of some GPL library from your code). Not sure if you're allowed to package/distribute them together though.
>>
>>54404719
Why don't you kill yourself?
>>
>>54405298
Why don't you, you worthless pile of shit.
>>
Why not just use WebClient or similar?
>>
>>54404719
Yes.
The same way that if you write a program that communicates with GPL database software through sockets, you don't have to license your program as GPL.
>>
File: cartman_respect_my_authoritah.jpg (18 KB, 241x173) Image search: [Google]
cartman_respect_my_authoritah.jpg
18 KB, 241x173
RESPECT MY FREEDOMS, DONT CLOSE YOUR SOURCES
>>
>>54404719
Not a lawyer, buy if you want to avoid possibilities of "linking" with GPL software, you can put the program name in a text file.
Read the text file, and launch it from your software.

Anyway, GPL only applicable for distribution.
If you develop for internal company use, there should be no problem.
ie:
If Google use GPL software on their server, they don't need to open source it, as Google never distribute the software.
>>
>>54404719
1) Use BSD/MIT (permissive) alternative.
2) Problem is solved.
Profit!
>>
>>54405609
Licensing in general is not applicable to private use applications.
>>
>>54404719
If you linked to a GPL software, you created what's referred to as "derivative work" therefore it has to be GPL as well (the GPL being ""cancerous"" license)

If the software you linked to is LGPL then you are allowed to keep it proprietary.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.