[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have an image with no extension but it can be opened in a image
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: file-clipart-xigKMeMjT.png (3 KB, 222x300) Image search: [Google]
file-clipart-xigKMeMjT.png
3 KB, 222x300
I have an image with no extension but it can be opened in a image viewer. The url of the image where I downloaded it from doesn't have any ".xxx" either. It's most likely a jpeg or png but how do I find out its extension so I can rename it correctly?
>>
>>54403232
install gentoo, literally
I can smell the windows from your post.
>>
extensions are cancer. they really are

what's wrong with just reading the first few bytes of each file?

this fucking windows tradition is even fucking shit up on *nixes

>lol no file extension, lol no thumbnail
>which program does this open with?
>>
>>54403331
>this is what a towering mountain of autism actually believes

why not just read machine code manually? why even have an OS?
>>
>>54403232
$ file yourfilewithnoextension
[/spoiler]
It comes with most operating systems if yours doesn't have it you should seriously consider switching to one that isn't shit
>>
>>54403369
lol I keep fucking up with code tags and being smug about technology
I mean it though, you OS should have that feature if it is to keep up with OSs from the last 30 years
>>
>>54403366
You are monumentally stupid and completely tech iliterate.

The OS is there to tell you what the data is. File extensions turn OS work into person work. Data types are already well defined with magic numbers, so file extensions are redundant user-end confusion.

Sorry you want computers to be less sensible.
>>
>>54403369
Where is the file supposed to be for this? The image is in my downloads folder and when I type that in the terminal it just says "file not found".
>>
>>54403389
rumble rumble mt austimus. no one cares.
>>
>>54403232
>file extension

Why do you even need one?
>>
>>54403472
No thumbnail without it and it doesn't feel right because all my other files have one too.
>>
Open it in a hex editor. What are the first four bytes?
>>
>>54403564
did you know that there's a place for tripfsgging cancer like you? it's called REDDIT
>>
>>54403564
ff d8 ff e0? This?
>>
>>54403232
Just use Irfanview. It will warn you of incorrect extensions and ask if you want to rename.
>>
>>54403453
/g/'s standard response to good ideas that don't reduce RAM usage or run in terminals.
>>
>>54403331

1. If I am making a file browser, one of the things I'd like to be able to do is to have some rather smooth transitions when navigating between directories. Some directories have a shit ton of files. Now imagine if I had to open each individual file, check the magic number, and check it against a database to figure out what thumbnail to use. Instead, let's consider if I use one system call to just look at the filenames. Much faster, yes?

2. Some magic numbers are shared between file formats. One big example that would not be parsed correctly by your suggestion would be .docx and .jar. Clearly these are disparate file formats and should be given different thumbnails. But they have the same magic number, and a number of other similarities in file structure. Why? because they're both .zip files in disguise. A .docx is just a bunch of zipped up XML files, and a .jar is a bunch of zipped up .class files.

3. Say I'm viewing these files in a terminal. I see a list of files without extensions. Unless a file is a directory or an executable (would have executable permissions), how the hell am I to know what each of these files does?

Extensions are incredibly useful from a technical and user experience standpoint. Fuck off.

>>54403600

.jpg
>>
>>54403763
Thanks. But how do you know it's .jpg and not .jpeg or .jfif or .jfe?
http://www.filesignatures.net/index.php?page=search&search=FFD8FFE0&mode=SIG
>>
>>54404134

.jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jif, .jfif, and .jfi are all extensions for the same file format. Just use .jpg.
>>
>>54403763
I don't think that's the point be is trying to make. The os should still display what kind of file this is, but there is no need for file extensions.
>>
Use TrID.

http://mark0.net/onlinetrid.aspx
>>
>>54404747
dumb tripfag cancer
go home to reddit
>>
>>54403232
Off yourself. Not tech support.
>>
>>54405716
>im too stupid to help him
>le not tech support meme
/g/ 2016
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.