[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meet the man behind Ubuntu MATE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
I was an Arch Linux user by this time and happily using GNOME3, but I created a custom Arch Linux image with MATE to install on my family’s computers. They had their familiar desktop environment back, but the MATE builds on Arch were incomplete and somewhat buggy at that time. I started contributing upstream to fix MATE issues, which ultimately led to me becoming a core member of the MATE team and an Arch Linux TU maintaining MATE Desktop. This helped improve MATE, and wedded bliss was restored. Win!

Sadly, Arch Linux is an attention whore. Trying to keep multiple Arch Linux computers ticking over from a distance was a burden. Some family members didn’t take to Arch Linux and stopped using their computers altogether. Not good. There were even rumors of Apple Macs. I was facing the same problem. My family might reject Linux.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3062563/open-source-tools/meet-the-man-behind-ubunto-mate.html
>>
File: 1438380561673.jpg (81 KB, 377x500) Image search: [Google]
1438380561673.jpg
81 KB, 377x500
>>54403183
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Arch almost destroyed this man's marriage
>>
The memes are true
>>
ArchLinux, for people who's work is maintaining their OS.

ArchLinux is a great hobbyist distro for those who have hours per day to keep it running.

If you want to have a distro that is stable, just works and lets you forget about what's going on behind the scenes while you focus on your work, then go with Debian.
>>
>Trying to keep multiple Arch Linux computers ticking over from a distance was a burden.
Gee, ya fucking think? I always joke about arch turds installing it on their family shit and here we are. Think about this long term for a moment and come to the conclusion that you cannot win either way:

>You install it and they love it and become fellow autists
Now you hate arch because you think it's mainstream and have to ditch it for something else and every time you see them you have to try even extra harder to be le different 'flake

>You install it and they hate it and bother you
You're telephone fucked and have to face being "an asshole" who won't help your family

>You install it and they hate it and give up and buy new computers with windows
You've made them go backwards.

Fucking losers are a cancer to linux and don't do shit besides make everyone think it's CS dropout hipster stuff. Get the fuck out of this industry.
>>
>>54403183
Is that Mike Stoklasa?
>>
>>54404014
I don't think Mike is that fat
>>
>>54404014

Filename
>>
File: 4chins.jpg (142 KB, 973x890) Image search: [Google]
4chins.jpg
142 KB, 973x890
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.