[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright im about to build my own PC for the first time and i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1945c.jpg (80 KB, 904x716) Image search: [Google]
1945c.jpg
80 KB, 904x716
Alright im about to build my own PC for the first time and i did alot of research but im scared.

Heres the build im about the buy:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g96nsY

I will also buy a high speed HDMI cable and a CAT6 cable from the router to my bedroom.
What else do i need for tools or cables etc? I already have a no 2 non magnetic philips screwdriver.
What about a static wristband? Or thermal paste for on the CPU? Is all of that a waste of money?

Any constructive help is appreciated. Irony/sarcasm not welcome.
>>
Wait for Polaris, their 480 outperforms the 980 for an expected price of $250
>>
Static wristband only if you're mega paranoid/worried. All you do is wear it and attach it to your case to keep yourself grounded.

Make sure you have your case on a flat, hard surface. Also make sure if you're on carpet, you aren't wearing socks.

Make sure you install the risers (look like little screw holes that screw into your case) for the motherboard if they don't come pre-installed on your case.

Finally, aftermarket thermal paste or an aftermarket cooler is completely worth it. Both are extremely cheap, get some Arctic Silver 5 and a Cooler Master Hyper 212.

Don't be afraid to be generous with your thermal paste application, but don't drown the thing in it. Just rub out a nice coating on the processor before slapping the cooler on.
>>
>>54398948
Alright thanks.

But about the thermal paste, i heard you basically dont even need a cooler if youre not overclocking. So im getting a cooler anyway but not overclocking, so isnt the paste a little redundant?
>>
At least wait for Pascal to release tomorrow or what not for prices to go down.
>>
>>54398910
>>54399107
Does it release tomorrow? I can wait about 1 more week max because im currently without a pc and i cant wait any longer.
>>
>>54398840
>Buying Windows 10 for 80

Buy a cheap key for 7 or 8 and upgrade
Example -
http://www.windows8keysonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=84
>>
>>54399140
Nvidia Pascal is unveiling tomorrow, Polaris is June? At least wait for Pascal so prices drop. EBay will likely have an influx of cards also.
>>
>>54399177
Will they affect all gpu prices or just the competing gpus?
>>
>>54399235
Probably just nvidia cards
>>
>>54398840
Should have gotten a magnetic screwdriver
>>
Just torrent winmeme, wtf who pays for that shit lol
>>
>>54399461
I heard that can damage your components

>>54399728
I just want everything legit
>>
>>54400335
It wont damage your components and it will make your life a lot easier
>>
>>54399003
No. Thermal paste is super important.
Without it you might as well not have a fan.
And you /will/ ruin you CPU without a fan.
>>
>>54400335
>>54400489
He is just being an asshole. Chances? Slim. Possible? Yes. Use a nonmagnetic screwdriver.

I've fucked around plenty using one, but I don't really care.
>>
File: 1457898366423.jpg (81 KB, 670x720) Image search: [Google]
1457898366423.jpg
81 KB, 670x720
>$140 for 1080p <85hz monitor
It's an okay monitor, you could probably find a high refresh rate 1080p monitor for cheaper/better performance for the same price.

>Cooler Master KB
Do not, invest a bit into a mechanical board. Do some research on switch types. "Gamer" switches are MX reds, but my first were MX browns and I was pretty satisfied until I dabbled with other switches.

>Literal gayman mouse
A wired optical mouse with a max dpi of 2.3k should not run you that much

Everything else is solid, good job so far anon!
>>
>>54400628
The only thing you are going to be touching with it are screws. It has 0 chance of damaging things unless you are a retard
>>
>>54400715
Yeah, exactly. He is here. Accidents happen. Retards are clumsy.
>>
>>54400695
For the peripherals i have to admit i just picked whatever i thought looked coolest on the logicalincrements list. Are you saying i should just get a cheap mouse and keyboard instead? And what monitor should i get instead?

Thanks for the feedback
>>
>>54399003
When I got my i5 (it was my first time building a PC then), its instructions said it came pre-applied with thermal paste. It took about 2 years until that no longer did the trick. I used whatever was already recommended here after cleaning it up and haven't noticed a temp or performance issue since (a few years, but it is time to reapply some anyway). That said, I'd get the paste; it's better than whatever they put on there.

And yeah you totally want a fan. The question is whether you want it to be aftermarket or not. Most processors come with a stock fan that will be fine for your purposes (not overclocking). Just make sure your case is well reviewed and has proper ventilation. $20 or so will get you a better product, but it's totally unnecessary (and the $20 could afford an upgrade somewhere else if you're working on a budget).
>>
>>54400830
if you have the cash get a mmo mouse
the extra buttons for gaming are fucking handy
>>
>I will also buy a high speed HDMI cable and a CAT6 cable from the router to my bedroom.

Dude, the cheapest HDMI will do, and CAT5 is more than enough
>>
>no case
>no gpu
>$80 mouse
>$80 keyboard
>he fell for the 16 gb ram meme
>ssd why
>some components not optimally priced
>$1,200
2/10 would not waste money on

You can build a better system than that for half the price; check out this $600 build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/WswV3C
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.