[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Functional Programming General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: sheafcohomology.jpg (29 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
sheafcohomology.jpg
29 KB, 500x501
ITT: Functional Programming & Maths
>>
>>54398760
Scheme vs Haskell, which should I learn first? Why?
>>
>>54398883
Haskell, it is a pure functional language, perfect for learning and you will focus only on functional programming. Scheme is not and it may complicate things
>>
>>54398956
Great answer, thanks.
>>
>>54398760
Why is she so qt, bro's?
>>
>>54399369
Because she's the goddess of functional programming.
>>
is there a go to book or resource for learning functional programming for a developer who is already familiar with procedural / imperative programming? (C, Java, Python, Ruby)
>>
>>54400184
I recommend this to everyone http://haskellbook.com
>>
>>54398760
anon why is this image of a model titled after some hardcore maths
>>
>>54400281
She is wearing a model of glasses called 'Haskell', making her the goddess of functional programming.
>>
Thoughts on Clojure?

I've been learning it in a paper while learning Haskell in another paper and I gotta say I prefer Haskell, Haskell just feels cleaner.
>>
I've been reading Learn You A Haskell as of recent. Not much time to focus on it, due to finals. Can't wait for May 10th to be over...then I can get shit done.
>>
File: Brown Representability.png (1 MB, 1344x1196) Image search: [Google]
Brown Representability.png
1 MB, 1344x1196
>>54400281
Anon (>>54400354) is correct. She is the goddess of functional programming.
>>
Should I learn Elm first then Haskell?
some leddit user claim learning Elm first can ease learning FRP.

I want to try game development, then robotics programming with functional programming
>>
>>54400816
Elm is nice if you want a simple purely functional language, but it's nowhere near as powerful as Haskell. The way it does pure FP isnt exactly the same as the Haskell model, so you might benefit equally learning a different language that's similar to Haskell but not necessarily purely functional (F#, SML, OCaml) if you don't want to be constrained to the browser/node.
if you're specifically focused on (web) games for now, then yeah Elm is probably your best choice.
>>54400478
not sure how you feel about it so far, but a lot of people I know (myself included) struggled with LYAH after a certain point. if you're not getting it, I suggest going with what >>54400246 said cause that books seems really great so far. also this post http://dev.stephendiehl.com/hask/ was what made a lot of concepts click for me initially, so that's probably good to look at as well.
>>
>>54402590
Different anon but great reply. Thanks.
>>
>>54402590
dumb tripfag cancer
>>>/reddit/
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.