[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam: Linux vs Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: share_steam_logo.png (21 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
share_steam_logo.png
21 KB, 512x512
Hi /g/,
So I was just wondering about some Linux vs Windows bullshit. Say you had the game Garry's Mod or Counter Strike: Source on Linux and Windows. Which would have better fps? Can someone who plays both those games on both operating system, what is the FPS and how does it compare to each other?
>>
bumpatron
>>
I use to play Left 4 Dead 2 on my SandyBridge T420 laptop using the onboard Intel HD GPU. Source games run really well in Linux. I don't have side by side comparison, but I believe Valve made an effort to make them run faster than they would on Windows.
>>
And how would you rate PlayOnLinux with League Of Legends vs the fps of League on windows?
>>
>>54398981
I don't think you'd notice a difference in fps, but wine support for LoL is generally kind of bad.
>>
>>54398692
Both those games can run on a potato.
You need more demanding games than that to use as benchmarks.
Not crisis 3 level per se, but something more demanding than cs:s and gmod.
Also we need to wait for a few games to be built on Vulkan to get more accurate results.
I'm really hoping vulkan will catch on and become the new standard.
>>
>>54398806
Can confirm. Valve did a decent job porting over the Source engine. I get the same performance as on Windows (probably better, but I have things capped because I'm used to those settings).
>>
>>54399144
>games to be built on Vulkan
EL OH EL
>>
>>54399238
The has SDK only been out for four months.
Give it some time.
>>
>>54398981
LoL is terribly supported. It's hit or miss if it's going to run on your particular setup, and the store isn't going to work in any case. Other tabs may not work, either. Far better to play this in a Windows VM of some sort, obviously with GPU passthrough.
>>
>>54399238
Even if games aren't built on Vulkan automated ports like most of what we get on Linux currently would benefit from translation from DX11/DX12->Vulkan over porting to OpenGL because the results should be faster since the APIs are more easily wrapped to Vulkan.
>>
The drivers are what matter anon, and they are miles better on Windows. Why? Because the devs have the greatest motivator behind them coding for Windows, MONEY
>>
>>54398692

First Steam OS is a meme.
Second: Windows has better perfomance off GNU/Linux, specific Steam OS.
Third: graphics drivers for Linux is not good like a Windows.

Resume: Linux for games (for now) is meme.
>>
>>54398981
I've played LoL completely fine with wine. Other versions have had a fucked up store but the game itself worked. Switching wine versions around is pretty key. If you use playonlinux you can get a build with specific patches for LoL.

>>54399238
This will happen but it is awhile out. Even now we see games with OpenGL vs DirectX purely for portability. I don't think that idea will die out anytime soon.

>>54399355
Nvidia drivers are actually pretty decent with linux. AMD is trash. I have systems with both cards because I'm not some diehard fanboy.

I've been gaming from a linux machine exclusively for a few months. There is a shitload of playable titles now. A third of my steam library has native linux binaries and its not just indie titles (shadow of mordor, xcom, civ 5, cs go, bioshock). Nearly all Dx9 games work fine with wine so covered in cases where those may not have linux versions (gta IV, dishonored, wow, skyrim, new vegas, diablo 3, sc2).

Not everything is playable and that is why linux gaming will not be for everyone anytime soon. You can play AAA titles but they are obviously a few years older. Most of those games still have large player bases however.

If you want to play DX11 titles you pretty much have to use Windows. Having a dedicate windows Steam server or using a virtual machine with a graphics card passthrough are both options that turn windows into nothing more than a launcher. Most people just run Windows natively at that point.
>>
>>54399355
Intel and Nvidia Linux GPU drivers are great though. AMD is where you might possibly run into some issues because they're playing catch up.
>>
>>54398692
Run 'em on both systems and take your own conclusions kid, it's not like you need to go to work or anything, enjoy that while it lasts.
>>
>>54398692
The only games I play I usually play is Dota 2. Although I do go to windows when I want to play games that are only supported on that.
>>
Valve is good, but on Linux vs Windows with regards to HTC Vive games:
Windows=90+ FPS
Linux=0 FPS
>>
>>54399328
So are you saying vulkan can pretty much replace wine in a way?
>>
File: 1455533657040.png (247 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1455533657040.png
247 KB, 350x350
>>54398692
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
CSGO runs at the same FPS in Linux as it does in Windows for me. I enter the map faster on Windows, but that isn't really relevant in CS. Garry's mod runs like shit on both Windows and Linux, but Linux machines didn't get infected from a virus in that game.
>>
>>54401102
It means wine will be able to have increased compatibility. It is very easy compared to directx to have wine read opengl calls. Similarly wine has already been updated to have support for vulkan.

If games are written with vulkan and only released with a windows binary - there is a good chance they will work with wine on linux.
>>
File: 1443953484972.jpg (129 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1443953484972.jpg
129 KB, 500x367
>>54401169
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54398806
L4D2 plays well on Intel HD 4000 on Win7 on a shitty laptop I had.
>>
>>54401171
the future looks bright
>>
>>54401313
And that's before factoring in the fact that vulkan makes it piss easy to port to linux, which as long as /g/ buys games and actually plays them on their linux install it'll bring more games(and post launch support) to linux.

I have a dream that I'll be able to play weebshit on linux one day.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.