[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opensores mobile OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: firefox3.jpg (65 KB, 800x518) Image search: [Google]
firefox3.jpg
65 KB, 800x518
Any FirefoxOS users on /g/?

I've been considering purchasing an LG Fx0, but I'm unsure of the limitations of the software. I don't care about the "app" situation, though I'm interested in how easy it is to modify the certain aspects of the OS and why there have been issues porting FFOS 2.6 to the device.
>>
>>54387900
Hey. I have used multiple FirefoxOS devices since the launch day of the os itself. Let me go straight to the point:
- OS have a lot of performance issues, lagging animations, random crashes, considering the HW capabilities - around 60% of what the same phone could do on android
- OS is nearly dead. I have been developing apps to it for quite a while however marketplace/store/we policies change a lot, this often means they disable a shitton of apps until dev takes care of the issues (eg. legal)
- if you think WP doesn't have apps you are wrong, FFOS doesn't have apps at all
- OS is very much customizable. Way more than any android device is. UI is entirely ran in browser and you can do whatever the hell you want with it. I release quite a few roms for european alcatel one touch fire. Going as far as to modify the kernel, enable zram, do a minor tweaks to the performance. You can literally rebuild the system to whatever suits you. However kernel sourcecode availability is limited to device manufacturer so do your research.
As to the device itself. If you like aesthetics of it (I sure do) do a research about android rom availability. If android development is on hold or you don't at least get to have android 4.4+ just drop the idea. FFOS doesn't even allow you to browse web comfortably. Not to mention day to day use.
>>
>>54388090
Also worth mentioning: it's awfully simple to dualboot android and FFOS. FFOS by default has Clockwork recovery, adb enabled and well it only gets easier from there.
>>
>>54388107
>>54388090

Thanks so much for the detailed response. Super informative.

A shame to hear about speed issues (and performance, as compared to android). Cool about the level of customization possible though, given manufacturer cooperation. I'll do more device-specific research!
>>
Anyone similarly enlightened as to the state of other open source mobile OSs? Sailfish, Tizen, etc.?

Being a flagrant freetard I'd quite like to give them a chance if possible.
>>
>>54388729

Does anyone have any experience porting Sailfish to android phones using the guide and a CM image?

It's something I've contemplated doing with some of the older android devices I've got kicking around (i9000).
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.