[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ Some random gave me a "broken" plasma tv today.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: tv.jpg (298 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
tv.jpg
298 KB, 1920x1440
Hey /g/

Some random gave me a "broken" plasma tv today.

TV comes on, lots of snow on the screen.

The Y SUS board has a hiss sound. Under better investigation, has a bad cap.

Think this is my primary problem?

Pic related.

Sorry if this post is better suited for DIY
>>
It is in fact better suited for /diy/
>>
>>54384984
Probably better off posting this on >>>/diy/ohm/ but yeah that's often the problem with old TVs. Try testing the caps to see if they've failed open or closed first.
>>
Bet you it is, but check that the components immediately "upstream" from it aren't roasted too. Do those resistors have coated leads or are they actually that rusty? If they're rusty, check thoroughly for corroded traces. Nice score if it's just a cap.
>>
>>54384984
>>>/diy/

you probably shouldn't open a plasma TV if you don't know what you're doing, it works with very high voltage.
>>
>>54385013
thanks anon, I will post it over there.

>>54385017
they look like the shorter, stubby style leads so theres not much I can see on the blue ones without removing them all.

>>54385028
I appreciate this post, but rest assured. I have verifiably drained any phantom load in those caps, and tested. I've worked some other TVs before but I usually replace whole boards, just thought this might be a cheaper fix if the caps are all thats wrong here.
>>
From my experience you probably have a blown regulator or IC somewhere on the board or at least supplying the board, not just the cap, it's never just the cap.
>>
>>54385061
If thats the case, some of that stuff is more intricate than I care to try to solder with what limited tools I have. I figure, 2-3 caps might be cheaper than replacing the board, which cost about 60$ on shopjimmy. Outside that scope, I'll pass on the repair kit. ICs have so many leads and I am not gonna try and do that without a reflow station.
>>
>>54385102
Look around at the IC's and other crap for holes or boiled plastic, and may as well replace the cap since they're like a few cents, can't hurt, but i wouldn't expect it to work.
>>
>>54385131
I cant find that cap on ebay, looks like I am buying from mouser for about 2$ ea.

Since several of the blue ones are the same capacitance (and bowed) as the black one, Ill replace them all I guess.

82uf 315v for anyone up for an adventure.
>>
File: image.png (609 KB, 780x687) Image search: [Google]
image.png
609 KB, 780x687
Good luck OP.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.