[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux DE's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: gtk_qt.png (42 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
gtk_qt.png
42 KB, 500x250
What's the best Linux DE? Currently using GUH-nome as my daily driver.
>>
Anything that uses Qt.
>>
>>54383092
Isn't that kind of low level to matter to the end user?
>>
>>54383187
It might seem like it, but Qt provides a level of high-level widgets (for example the web-browser component etc.) that definitely affect user-experience.

There's also the Phonon backend etc. which makes media display much easier and more stable (imho) than with gtk.
>>
>>54383062
Linux has no DE's. Linux is a kernel; it only has modules. The operating system is GNU.
>>
File: autism.gif (158 KB, 1600x1272) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
158 KB, 1600x1272
>>54383538
>>
>>54383062
ncurses
>>
Curious to this too.
Just installed Debian, currently running xfce.
Not a total n00b to *nix, but mainly used it via ssh/headless. Need something quite lightweight, this rig ain't up to much. Suggestions welcome..

Running Debian (stable) btw.

Also, literally this >>54383668 sorry Stallman, we all call it linux :(
>>
>>54383713
Stallman doesn't browse /g/, idiot.
>>
Agreed about QT. KDE is great, both for customization and beauty. Works excellently on Arch, but ran well on Kubuntu 16.04 when I tested it.
>>
>>54383740
so he says, but I reckon he's janny desu
>b-but not all social media is intrinsically bad.. 4chan for instance
>>
>>54383062
I like KDE for newer computers, or XFCE for older stuff. MATE also looks comfy
>>
>>54383062
Thanks for making this thread man. I was just thinking about making a thread to ask for peoples perfered DE's to test some of them out for myself.

Right now i'm running on kde but i've tried gnome and i wasn't really feeling that one.

Another thing i was looking at was window managers but i don't even know where to start for how to work those without a DE.
>>
>>54383062
Cinnamon.

>Looks good
>Customizable
>RAM friendly
>Easy to use

UBUNTU CINNAMON WHEN

Only option right now is to get Mint or get Ubuntu GNOME and install Cinnamon later.
>>
File: 1446992609264.gif (3 MB, 390x215) Image search: [Google]
1446992609264.gif
3 MB, 390x215
XFCE + i3

very dank
>>
>>54383994
Yeah, I was also wondering about DE's what Linux distro's have the best DE? Does a WM also support a media center?
>>
>>54383713
Hey man you seem like you know your way around Linux's.. Can you help us find a DE that is (1) leightweight, (2) widgets, (3)works on my rig?
>>
>>54384381
I hope this faggot gets doxxed as a faggot. Kewl CGI effects doe.
>>
>>54384434
hey, wait, no fuck you. I was asking you that question anon. Need something that works sexy with Debian (kind of set on that) and a shitty old school Rig. Is Cinnamon an option.. Seems to be recommended here a lot?
>>
>>54383757
4chan is shit
>>
File: bollocks.jpg (137 KB, 636x848) Image search: [Google]
bollocks.jpg
137 KB, 636x848
>>54384327
>Only option right now is to get Mint or get Ubuntu GNOME and install Cinnamon later.
bollocks, you can get a debian live cd with cinnamon installed and its pretty good too - you ubunut babbies
>>
>>54383713
>sorry Stallman, people who don't understand the structure of a Linux distro call it linux
ftfy
>>
>>54384461
I know but I still have some faith since I'm here.

>>54384574
stop samefagging, Stallman.
>>
>>54383062
GNOME.
Anyone else who says otherwise is an openbox / aesthetics ricer.

GNOME 3 is the DE that professionals use. It has the most features and support then any other DE. Unity is GNOME with a skin on top.
>>
>>54384601
stop getting your naming conventions from techcrunch.com, pajeet
>>
>>54384620
how does it hold on on lower-end machines doe?

thought it was mainly for faggots who should really install windows 10 as far as specs go, tbqh.
>>
>>54384640
>implying I browse techcruch
>implying implying

I'm so cross right now.

Bot Bot Ding Dinging all over the shop. Sanjay is going bloody mental.
>>
>>54384648
In my experience, it runs pretty well on anything with decent 2D acceleration. (On anything else, it runs like ass)
>>
>>54384533
That's what I use, but obanto + cinnamon is the way to go for the tech illiterate. I can't suggest normal people to use Debian, they'd drop it in a week.
>>
>>54385309
I dropped it in a week also. Couldn't get much to work on it. Sound, igpu, KDE was really a pile of buggy shit. But I'm on skylake and Linux will not work well with all that until 4.6. So now I'm stuck with gimped Linux or go back to w7. Fedora works tho, but there is a lot wrong with that also. I've tried manjaro,Ubuntu Fedora, open suse, mint, debian. Probably one or two I can't remember. They are all buggy and unusable as fuck. Have to wait years for 4.6 kernel to become part of anything. So now my options are to try arch/Gentoo and roll my own kernel and know each bug and the workaround I have to use to get a usable system together. As a Linux beginner, also.

I want to like Linux but it's buggy shit unless you have ancient hardware, and sometimes it still is. I'm glad all you faggots love it so much but it's a pain in my dick hole.
>>
>>54383062
I switched to XFCE when GNOME 3 came out and haven't had any reason to change since, though I've been meaning to check out KDE again
>>
>>54385526
i had the same problem. liked cinammon more but had to switch to ubuntu for skylake support. i hated ubuntu 12 but ubuntu 15 looks a lot better.
>>
>>54385594
Tried to boot that, it black screened on me. No HDMI output with the Intel igpu is a bug apparently. A lot of de's have black screened because of that. I know what each of my bugs are is the bad part. 4.6rc4 brought a shit ton of skylake bug fixes. I think that they came out with rc5 or 4.7? The other day I looked at that had even a few more skylark bug fixes.

4.6 will be the largest change to the Linux kernel in years and I can't wait.
>>
>>54383062
MATE is best and anything less than the best is a felony.
>>
>>54385674
i don't know how the distros work but it wasn't the kernel that was the problem for me. ubuntu uses a more updated distro thingi i don't know but somehow linux mint uses an older one.
updating the mint kernel to the latest didn't help me
>>
>>54383187
Considering the state of fragmentation still present on GNU/Linux land, the fact that everyone is moving to QT is a very good thing.
That of course will affect user experience. You want more uniform stack in you freetard system if you want more people on it.
>>
>>54385721
Mint and u15 use about the same kernel. U16 is on the newer 4.4 kernel. It brings native support for the Intel igpu, among other things. But guess what? HDMI WONT WORK BECAUSE FUCK YOU. Kernel is mostly drivers and instructions to tell your CPU what to do.
>>
>>54385788
whats different in distributions other than the kernel? whatever it was fixed my problem but i have no idea why
>>
>>54385806
Only thing that differentiates the distributions is the package management and what packages it uses. You can usually put whatever KDE, gnome, cinnamon, etc on whatever distribution you want. That doesn't matter really. The choice of packages like the drivers and codecs included in the ISO is also the main difference. Ubuntu and mint include many popular codecs and firmware already included. It makes them easy to run for new users, basically. Gentoo and arch leave all that up to you.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.