[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Instead of trying to piss around getting things to work on various
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1452300425387.jpg (16 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1452300425387.jpg
16 KB, 320x320
Instead of trying to piss around getting things to work on various hardware (and often failing miserably), why doesn't the Linux community develop an actual hardware specific operating system and sell that?
>>
>>54381934
if it's so simple, why havent you done it?
>>
>>54381957
Because I am an end user.
>>
I'll design the logo
>>
File: JqHHCHl.png (897 KB, 841x1007) Image search: [Google]
JqHHCHl.png
897 KB, 841x1007
>develop an actual hardware specific operating system and sell that

It's called a mac.
>>
>>54381934
they don't need the normies.

they won already.
>>
>Linux is a kernel
>A kernel literally exists to create support for different types of hardware
>Why don't they just do something else instead
>>
Why don't you just all use Ubuntu, it just werks?
>>
>>54382071

Because using something that 'just werks' doesn't come with the smug self satisfaction of performing a task in the most round about complicated of manner, especially when there are a dozen much more efficient and easy ways to do that task.
>>
anyone started on the logo yet? I'll give it a try
>>
>>54381934
they call it ubuntu
>>
>>54381934
freetards are anti capitalist, but I kinda don't blame them.
>>
>>54382071
I do use ubuntu, but love to have lots of other distros available to me and anyone else who wants it
>>
>>54382215
Make it not for profit.
>>
>>54381934
Because they never agree on a desktop environment.
>>
>>54382215
>freetards are anti capitalist
no, free software != gratis software
>>
>>54381934
Linux is a hardware specific OS in the sense that the drivers are built in to the kernel.
>>
>>54381934
system76
Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition
>>
>>54381997
And before that it was called "every UNIX vendor"
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.