[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is Google still using Java
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: Java_620X0.jpg (17 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
Java_620X0.jpg
17 KB, 620x349
Why is Google still using Java? Android hardware manufacturers are constantly trying to pull more performance and better battery life from their phones, all the while all of the code that is being run on them is running in a VM, wasting tons of battery life and system resources. Meanwhile, iOS runs native code and can run much smoother and with better battery life with much lower specs. Google needs to adopt a language that is closer to the metal, like Swift.
>>
Maybe they know better than you
Maybe you're asking a good question
Who knows
>>
>>54377682
>Unlike Dalvik, ART introduces the use of ahead-of-time (AOT) compilation by compiling entire applications into native machine code upon their installation

Also
>ios
>good battery life
Lmao
>>
>>54377682
They use Go, Python, Macbooks, etc

They're a walking meme lad
>>
>>54377787
>forgot to add
It still uses java but ART was a good improvement. I doubt that google will abandon java. They would need to implement both java and *insert alternative language here* compatibility so that all the programs that exist today aren't rendered incompatible with an OS update. It would be nice if they did that but they're probably just too lazy.
>>
>>54377857
Any idea why Google picked Java in the first place, and what language they should've picked?
>>
>>54377682
1. Google prefer to hire small numbers of "A grade" devs and outsource grunt-coding.

2. Oracle's infrastructure was in place, and the JVM and JRE had already been developed. It was logical to ally with them against MS & Apple. In the future Alphabet will probably consume Oracle.
>>
>>54377682
>battery life
not sure what you're doing on your phone but my moto g lasts for a week sometimes more.
>>
>>54377976
It was already used for dumbphone J2ME apps so porting them in the beginning was easy
>>
>>54377682
because until all the manufacturers decide on the same architecture developers wont bother to compile their code for every single different phone.

This is one of the reasons why iOS has a faster smoother and efficient experience.
>>
Google didn't *choose* Java. They purchased Android, which was already based on Java
>>
>>54377857
>aren't rendered incompatible with an OS update
You realize Java is portable because there are runtime environments on every type of PC right?

Knowing this, it doesn't make other languages not portable. Like with updating or creating a new runtime environment for Java, all compiler vendors need to do is make a few conditions for the OS update as well. And modern compilers take into account the difference in OS'
>>
>>54377976
/g/ would have picked ASSEMBLER, proceeded to make a LOGO, write a Hello World app, and then abandoned the project
>>
>>54377976
No idea why they went with java in the first place. I'm not really sure which language would be better but something that is closer to metal as op stated would definitely be better. At least ART eliminated lag caused by java which pretty much killed the lagdroid meme.
>>
Also, saying developers don't want to conpile their code for every single phone makes no sense. All android phones run on the ARM instruction set, you'd need to compile once. That's like saying Windows developers need to compile for every singe PC; they all run on the x86 instruction set b/c they're all Intel
>>
>>54377682
>>54378014

I'm with this guy. The range of available devices requires a platform independent approach. Apple controls what hits their shelves, and so has less work with native support.

I could be totally off base though.
>>
>>54378054
>All android phones run on the ARM instruction set
ARMv6, ARMv7, 64-bit ARM

>>54378054
>Windows developers need to compile for every singe PC; they all run on the x86 instruction set b/c they're all Intel
That's actually a good example because there are significant differences not only between AMD's and Intel's CPUs, but even within Intel's CPUs. Different instruction sets, different cache topologies, different runtime characteristics of their superscalar pipelines.
JIT can produce faster code.
>>
>>54378038
I'm not arguing on java's portability but I didn't express myself in a good way.

Since completely abandoning java isn't an option, they could add support for another language but that would result in people with phones that wont receive the next android update not being able to use the programs written in the mentioned new language. Both abandoning java and adding support for a new language alongside java would create big problems.
>>
>>54378165
>but that would result in people with phones that wont receive the next android update not being able to use the programs written in the mentioned new language. Both abandoning java and adding support for a new language alongside java would create big problems.

No, there are already several JVM languages, they could write another one and it would work as fine as Java does
>>
>>54378197
Using another language which runs in a virtual would make abandoning pointless performance-wise. I was talking about switching to a language which runs natively instead of running in a VM but compatibility would be a problem.
>>
>>54378662
>abandoning
Abandoning java*
>>
>>54378054
there is x86 android as well
but google could have a system that builds the applications for each architecture
>>
>>54377976
>>54377682
Google just wants to maximize the number of users and developers. They compromise everything else to achieve this goal. Java was chose because lot of people know java.
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (53 KB, 590x832) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
53 KB, 590x832
>>54377682
>le java is slow meme
retards
>>
Because it's overwhelmingly the best choice of language for the things they want to do?

You think it's an accident that Google, eBay, Amazon, Twitter, and most other major webservices you interact with choose Java?

Java and the JVM is amazingly versatile, and you can do absolutely everything with it, and it's faster than pretty much anything else other than highly optimized C/C++ (and most C and C++ out at the enterprise level is the furthest thing from optimized).

Google uses Python and Go for rapid prototyping and building little internal tools, C++ on the server back end stuff that is really performance oriented and they have no choice but to try and make it as fast as they can, and Java everywhere else because it's the best choice and has the biggest toolbox.

Gets hate on here from never employed / students that struggled with Java because it was their first foray into OOP and writing maintainable code, and their first actual programming outside of little JS and Python hobby work - but Java is where it's at in the real world.

Used everywhere from smart cards to DVD players to mobile phones to NASA.
>>
>>54380343
I want to have a foray into Kotlin since the verbose syntax in Java will never change

Kotlin has full interoperability with existing Java code but you can spend less time writing all the fucking boilerplate
>>
>>54380292
>defending Java
nice meme pajeet
>>
>>54380343
>Used everywhere from smart cards to DVD players to mobile phones to NASA.

literally quoting from the propaganda thrown at you during java updates

"...set top boxes, and even your car!"

kek
>>
Because reasons.

Also, Kotlin will never work.

In next year or two, Swift will be new language of choice.

>Mark my words.
>>
>>54380387
I literally never seen one and couldn't care less about them, just like people from countries that aren't 50% brown. you're probably an Americuck, who can't even compete on the job market with people who shit on the streets and feels threatened enough to bring up Indians in every /g/ thread
>>
>>54380406

Literally true, you colossal idiot:

Every chip card you have runs Java. Every Android phone. Hundreds of millions of Java based phones.
>>
>>54377787
>>ios
>>good battery life
>Lmao

My brother had an Android and it wouldn't last the day.

My iPhone? 2-3 days with heavy use.

Guess what he upgraded to.
>>
>>54380292
Java is fast but likes to eat RAM.
>>
>>54380654
>Every chip card you have runs Java. Every Android phone.

good thing I don't own either of those things then
>>
>>54378044
Underrated post
>>
>>54380790

Oh, that's right. Have to be 18 to own credit cards.

How's your dad's old phone working out for you anyway?
>>
>>54380669
>My iPhone? 2-3 days with heavy use.
yeah, this is bulshit.
>>
>>54377979
>Ally
>Google tried to rebuild java from the ground up.
>1 billion dollar court case.
>>
Google is already on the thoughts of using swift instead of Java just to screw oracle and their stupid law suit
>>
>>54380768
You should look at the actual memory usage of most of your apps.
The majority of them will be under 100MB.

The OS itself takes the greatest chunk of the memory usage, and that is mostly written in c++.
>>
>>54380855

They didn't rebuild Java from the ground up, they just neglected to support the entire Java library and compiled it to a proprietary format.

Would have been perfectly legal if they licensed their implementation of Java like they were supposed to (and their own legal team told them to); but instead they broke the Java license agreement
>>
>>54377682
>Why is Google still using Java?

1: java programmers earn 15-25% less than those who main more complex and useful languages

2: google wants a cheap workforce, hence "girls who code"
>>
>>54380942

altogether the glass ceiling (75 cents to dollar) and java salary tax (25% less than C++) means you're getting 1000 lines of code for the price of ~500
>>
>>54380654
>Every chip card you have runs Java
So that's why chip credit cards are so slow! :^)
>>
>>54382521
idiot. see: >>54380292
>>
>>54382647
Java's never going to live down it's reputation as slow crap. It's been decades, but won't change. Pasty neckbeards never forget.
>>
>>54382722
it was never that slow
http://www.javaworld.com/article/2076593/performance-tests-show-java-as-fast-as-c--.html?page=2
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.