[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does your card have a chip in it /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 9
File: 'secure'.png (586 KB, 1024x669) Image search: [Google]
'secure'.png
586 KB, 1024x669
does your card have a chip in it /g/?
>>
of course
>>
>>54373324
Mine does, but I've only encountered one store so far that actually has their system in place to use it. It was slow as fuck. Slower than cash, almost as slow as a quickly written check.
>>
>>54373324
chip cards are slow and gay
we can thank europeans and their jew banks for this 'technology'
>>
>>54373356
wait untill they actually get the system set up and every employee is taught to grab your card out of your hand and tell you how it works
>>
>>54373324
I'm from a civilised ountry so it's been the standart for a long time
Now the big fad is contact-less cards, I'm not sold on it until they up the security measures.
>>
>>54373324
bought 3 things today - every payment contactless
and used atm - chip
>>
>>54373356
They wouldn't search it, but there are plenty of places where they don't have the little kiosk for you to slide your own card.

>>54373501
Those have been around for a while, but they never really took off here because they do pose a high security risk. Seen a story on the news where they cheaply bought a reader online. They rigged it up in a suitcase and just randomly got near people at the airport. It's not supposed to give enough information for identity theft (name, address, security code). But they managed to find websites and even over the phone orders that didn't require that security code for purchase. So they just used false names and addresses. That was 5 years ago though. But I don't see what would stop someone from taking the information and flashing their own card.

Tl;dr I wouldn't trust them.
>>
>>54373602
Snatch *
>>
>>54373356
How fast would it need to be to not be considered slow? From putting in the card to taking it out it's less than like 10 seconds including pin entry.
>>
>>54373602
I've littereally got an app in my phone to put funds on my paypal and this doesn't have any security steps while using contact-less. I only use it with friends cards when they want to pay at the pub but don't have cash, but there it is.
Any chump can get your money.
>>
>>54373324
Can you even get one without them?
>>
>>54373667
In the USA, they are phasing it in as mandated by congress.

Large stores were suppose to be set up for the chip back in January, but you know how deadlines are. I think they got an extra year or something before harsh regulations begin.
>>
>>54373695
Kek, littereally more than 10 years behind
>>
>>54373324
In Australia all cards have a magnetic strip, chip and RFID/NFC.

LMAO'd when I went on holiday to the US and I had to swipe and sign. Felt like I was in the dark ages.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 736x478) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 736x478
>>54373763
>mfw
>>
>Ameritards are literally 10 years behind the rest of the world
>>
>>54373800
I remember cards having PINs back in 2000
more like 15 years
>>
Yes. Is it not common in America?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhW-QLhmoVw

http://www.rpi-polymath.com/ducttape/RFIDWallet.php
>>
I moved to Canada in 02 and we had chip and pin even then

How the fuck are Americans so far behind lmao
>>
>>54373695
Jesus, how do you pay with card if you don't have chip and pin? Sign a piece of paper?
>>
>>54373324
Yes because I live in Finland. I still prefer to use the card's NFC though.
>>
>>54373857
swipe and pin or swipe and sign
>>
>>54373941
explain please the difference in time spent between swipe and pin and insert and pin
>>
How much memory is stored in those chips?
If I cut it into the size of a SIM card, will my phone read it?
Is there a USB reader for a PC that can hack it?
>>
>>54373960
>autism
>>
>>54373356
>speed is everything
Heh, I bet you use templeos daily
>>
>>54373324
I’ve only known them like that.

>>54373634
this
>>
>>54373960
They're not very vulnerably anymore, used to be. Group at Cambridge that does a lot of infosec regarding them, so you should be able to find plenty of papers on the subject.

Still a lot of interception vulnerabilities with the actual card readers for chip and pin. Many near field vulnerabilities too, which is an emerging problem with contactless.
>>
>>54373324
i haven't seen a card without it
haven't used the chip in ages, though
>>
>>54373356
>mfw we all have contactless payment in europe now.

get with the times, man.
>>
File: 1457756415987.gif (831 KB, 271x169) Image search: [Google]
1457756415987.gif
831 KB, 271x169
>america: we finally caught up guys! chips! out infrastructure can't handle it for shit, but that'll improve!
>world: chips? oh those, yea, we contactless now, several years now
>america:
>>
It's so fucking slow that I cringe when I have to go to CVS.
>>
>>54373957
Inserting has to go through a verification process that generates a unique ID to that specific purchase. So you insert, wait for verification, enter pin, wait for authorization, receipt prints and you can remove your card. The verification process alone takes a good 5-10 seconds which is about how long an entire swipe and pin transaction takes.
>>
>>54374313
Additional note: since getting a chipped card, there has also been a slow down in the processing time of swipe and pin at some locations I go to. Not sure as to why that is.
>>
>>54374313
That's because America's infrastructure is fucking shit.

Over here in the real world it doesn't take that long.
>>
>>54373324
Everyone I know does, I suppose it's some murifatican thing to not have a chip.
>>
Why not just use cash??
>>
>>54374422
contactless is faster and easier

>take out card while they scan shit or whatever
>ready to pay
>hold card against the reader for literally half a second
>pick up item(s)
>by the time i've picked them up, shit's done and i can walk right out
cash can only compete if you have the exact change
>>
>>54374313
>The verification process alone takes a good 5-10 seconds

kek, fucking 3rd world shithole infrastructure
>>
>>54374361
In my experience it's typically because the store chinces out on their services. But, hey, you also have to consider the amount of dead space that has to be part of the infrastructure and the cost to have that. Basically, they don't want to pay to run fiber lines through the desert, mountains, and Plains. I live in fucking Nebraska and most of the major populated areas have full fiber lines. Can get 100mbit or even Giganet services. But you can't utilize it worth a fuck when all the major servers are halfway across the country separated by fuck all.
>>
>>54373324
Just got a new card in the mail the other day. No chip.
>>
Yes. I'm 24 and the only card involving money without a chip I ever saw was some discount card crap. It's been about 15 years since that. Who the fuck uses cards without chips nowadays?
>>
>>54374313
>verification process alone takes a good 5-10 seconds

Average murrican infrastructure. Maybe next century you will enjoy better internet and electronics.
>>
>>54373349

This.

Toys r us makes me use it now, fucking took 30 seconds
>>
File: 812090440437856070.gif (406 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
812090440437856070.gif
406 KB, 500x281
>>54373779
We had one of those at the store I worked like five years ago. One time, the comms lines for one section of the shopping mall went down, and I nearly had to use it with one customer.

Luckily, it came back up again.
>>
>>54373858
This
>>
>>54374526
>But you can't utilize it worth a fuck when all the major servers are halfway across the country separated by fuck all.

Boo fucking hoo.

Regards,
Australia.
>>
I've had a new debit card for half a year now and have never had to enter my pin, use a chip, or swipe. Feels good to live in Aus.
>>
>>54374874
You mean to say every purchase you've made has been under whatever amount the tap and go limit is?

How is that even possible?
>>
>>54373324
For fucking years...
>>
My bank just sent me a new card with it last week, I never asked for it.
>>
>>54374908
It's easy when you're poor.
>>
File: 1456746609699.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1456746609699.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>54373324
yeah, its the greatest thing since sliced bread desu senpai. use it every day, its so quick and painless.
>>
>>54373356
Enjoy being carded
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>54373324
wait, what kind of a third world country are you from that you don't have chips?
>>
>>54373356
Thank you then for letting jews come out from the oven.
>>
>>54373356
Huh they are everywhere in Canada and are very fast
>>
I'm french. I legitimtely had one of the first to be sold by moneo.
>>
All visa debit cards do
>>
>>54373501
They usually have a very low purchase limit, like 25$ or so, above that you have to enter your pin
>>
>>54373332

If I took it off, would you die?
>>
>>54374752
Sorry senpai.
>>
>>54375528
Doesn't change the fat that somebody with an android phone can tap you for 20 each time you sit next to him in the tube.
>>
>>54375442
dumb tripfag
>>
>>54374138
>RFID
haha enjoy your shit being stolen
>>
>>54374478
>cash can only compete if you have the exact change
Nope because cashiers take their sweet time putting the coins and bills in the correct slots before handing you the receipt.
t. cashier
>>
>>54375622
and then I call my bank, they shut his account down and compensate me ezpz
>>
>>54375727
>living in fear and checking account balance every day
also the guys doing this direct them to throwaway paypal accounts
>>
>>54375750
>he doesn't get a text when his card is used

>>54375711
this is a non existent crime here desu
>>
I just pay contactless with my phone now, works great.
I just walk up with my phone already in hand, browsing 4chin or some shit, grab the shit I want to buy, go to the selfcheckout, scan my shit and put my phone on the reader (I don't need to open any specific app on it, can just continue what I'm doing)

Works great
>>
>>54373634
Faster than one minute after insertion. Fifteen seconds would be lovely
>>
>>54375787
who wants his messages flooded by automatic texts?
only human sent texts thank you
>>
>>54374276
>yfw Americans are afraid of contactless and actually reversed their rollout of nfc.
>>
>>54374422
Cash is more expensive than using credit. That is, if you know how to play the game.
>>
>>54375571
it would be extremely painful
>>
>>54375848
Depends on your country.
Here in the Netherlands the credit card bonuses and shit almost don't exist
>>
>>54375848
in my country it's litterally the other way around
>>
yes because having a chip is so much better than a mag stripe.............

good 1
>>
No. My last card expired before all the banks started handing out chipped cards, so I guess I have one of the last magnetic strip cards.

>>54374138

I'd rather not have to buy a specialized wallet just to keep people from being able to steal my money.

>>54374422

Because pennies.

>>54375727

Why put yourself through the trouble? Also, if it's a debit card, the money's basically gone forever.
>>
Yes. All new cards in USA are being forced into being chipped. It sucks because not all stores are set up even though in their contractual agreements the merchant HAS TO convert to chip readers or else if a transaction is questioned by a credit card company either via fraud or otherwise the merchant gets burned rather than the credit card company. I have been to several supermarkets of a chain and 1/2 were set up for chip while the others were still stuck in mag reader mode.

** This sucks when I have to ask the cashier whether to insert or slide because of this issue. **
>>
File: 1460680282417.png (1 MB, 1269x2865) Image search: [Google]
1460680282417.png
1 MB, 1269x2865
>>54376079
first of all >**wordsgohere**
fuck off newfag
>This sucks when I have to ask the cashier whether to insert or slide because of this issue.
can you not see the literal hole the card goes into if it has it or not?
>>
All cards around here have chips and all stores accept it. I can't remember a single time I've used the magnet stripe.
>>
>>54374138
>we all have contactless payment in europe now.

not in Germany

as far as I can tell anyway

also

>no face
>>
>>54377396
Stores in Germany don't even accept credit cards. I've been to a bar at the train station in Karlsruhe that didn't take Visa, Mastercard or Amex. Instead, they only take this shitty proprietary bank card that only Germans have, which isn't accepted anywhere other than Germany. This is fucking American tier autism and no better than only accepting checks for rent (which is still done in the US).
>>
There is a smart card reader on my laptop. What do?
>>
>>54373356
>chip cards are slow
hahaha
what
>>
I'm pretty sick of having to carry cards, apple pay is okay but I'd rather just use my fingerprints to pay for shit.
>>
>>54373524
>bought 3 things today - every payment contactless
>and used atm - chip

Dumb.
>No two factor?
>Sign me up!
>>
>>54377396
Germany is behind the times, think Italy the only European country with worse internet and tech adoption but at least they have MUH RUINS as an excuse for their retarded adpotion practices.
>>
>>54375721
Yeah but you also get to play the retard game and see if the cashier gives you more money in change than they should.
More entertainment for your buck if you ask me. Why use a card when you can watch a kid try to do simple math?
>>
>>54373602
>Those have been around for a while, but they never really took off here because they do pose a high security risk.
>I have no idea how this technology works
Many experts say NFC really is fundamentally secure by virtue of its extremely short range. In order to snag your NFC signal, a hacker would need to be very close to you. Uncomfortably close. In other words, you'd know they were there. And unless it was a very intimate friend of yours, you'd likely not be happy about it.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-secure-is-nfc-tech.htm

Seriously, why lie? What reason could you possibly have to lie about new, more convenient technology?
>>
>>54374908
Protip: there is algorithm that decides for everyone individually if you have to enter your pin or not
>>
>>54375848
Guess what I just lost..
>>
>>54377920
This shit cucked me yesterday and made me look like a retard who didn't even know how to use a debit card.
>>
1 bank card and 1 credit card. Chips have been standard issue here for a couple years now. They are as fast as the old type and my bank card only didn't werk one time. The cashier steamed up the chip with her breath, then rubbed it on her boobie. That fixed it.
You might want to try doing that next time, but make sure you ask the cashiers permission first.
>>
>>54376148
It's not about where the chip slot is, you nigger, it's about having to find out if the merchant is able to accept chips.

lern2reed
>>
>Be American
>have 7 credit cards
>this is fine
>>
>>54377634
True that it fucking sucks. Local supermarkets don't even accept debit cards for under 10€ transactions. If I could pay small purchases with my debit card or better yet NFC, I'd probably go to the supermarket on the way to work to buy some fruit or whatever, but always having to pull out your cash coins isn't worth it.

You'd think the bankers would realize that people would literally spend more this way.

>>54377845
In what way does technology adoption and internet suck? Most places can get 100 Mbps internet now or at least 50 Mbps.
>>
>>54378022
#NotAllMurricans
>>
>>54377845
Not really, we don't have a problem with tech adoption, the internet is also not bad but we have bad averages because our population is old and doesn't give a fuck... still, 50% of the houses are reached by fiber
>>
In the UK we only use chip and pin every store supports it
>>
File: izettle.png (242 KB, 620x493) Image search: [Google]
izettle.png
242 KB, 620x493
>>54374526
>In my experience it's typically because the store chinces out on their services
Not him but pic related responds quicker than what you're describing. Yes, a cheap iPhone accessory is better than what the majority of Americans are using. Stay twentieth century 'murca.
>>
>>54378100
>50% of the houses are reached by fiber
that is fucking ridiculous and wrong.

Even cunts with high adoption rates like lithuania only have something like ~35%.

We literally just reached the threshold of 1-2% penetration to be even listed in the FTTH council.

Where on earth did you get that information?
>>
>>54373324

>Troglodyte American complains about being dragged into the 21st century
>>
>>54378110
We use contactless now too. Well, every major city does. Rural bumfuck villages are still trying to get wifi.
>>
>>54376079
>** This sucks when I have to ask the cashier whether to insert or slide because of this issue. **
What? Why is this an issue? Big smile, eye contact "So do you want me to use the chip or the magnet strip?"

You have now had five seconds of human interaction, part of your RDA of sixty minutes.
>>
>>54378159
Do you have your rdif proof wallet yet?
>>
>>54378155
It was reported by some newspapers like a week ago stating that there was a big problem with adoption and not with deployment because of those allegedly 50% homes reached by fiber only 10% would actually move from dsl to fiber (though it's including FTTC)
>>
>>54378181
>American proves once again that they are all mouth breathing knuckle draggers incapable of putting four letters in the correct order.
I would explain why it's just as necessary as a tin foil hat but it might get a little too complicated for you.
>>
>>54373324
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QH20M7gG0c
>>
>>54378181
My Dad actually bought one and insists I use one too. I've told him it's fucking pointless but he's doesn't want to fucking hear it.

He's also never used the contactless part of it and was very angry when they replaced his old cards with them.
>>
>>54378206
My bait had a typo, but you still took the hook.
>>
>>54378255
>I was only pretending to be retarded.
Yes American, the joke truly is on me.
>>
>>54373324
I hate these fucking pieces of shit. My card has one now and it didn't used to.

>Old shopping: Slide card. There is no step two.

>New shopping: Insert card. Wait. Keep waiting. Processing. Card rejected. Insert card again. Wait. Processing. Don't remove card. Card accepted. Remove card.

So fucking stupid.
>>
>>54378310
That's on you murica this shit should take less than 5 seconds.
>>
>>54378216
Stop spamming your irrelevant shit for views.
>>
>>54378334
It used to take less than a second. Swipe. Done. How is more than pentupling the wait time for a transaction an upgrade?
>>
>tfw my swipey card expires in December

It's so beat up I had to tape it back together. I'm tired of the dirty looks from cashiers though. Maybe it's time to give in
>>
>>54378310
>>54378351
See >>54378121
Your banks are now officially worse than a cheap iPhone toy. How does this make you feel, o leader of nations, land of the free?
>>
>>54378334
It usually takes 3-6 seconds though.

My barber here has this old fucking thing that still runs on ISDN, it takes a minute to authorize and he can't make phone calls during that time lmao
>>
>>54378351

>More secure
>NFC is just as fast as swiping
>>
>>54378351
I dunno, you were the guys with 42% credit card fraud rate. My country has moved on to contactless which is faster and more secure than swiping.

I don't know how you guys fucked it up. Last time I was there I had to insert my card and then sign, it didn't even ask me for a pin.
>>
>>54375814
>>54373634
>>54373356
>slow

What shit hole countries do you niggers live in?

In the UK chip and pin takes maybe 5 seconds from entry.

How do Ameriblubbers use cards in shops? Sign for it? Lol, shit must take forever
>>
>>54378271
/not even American. You have 1 strike left.
>>
>>54378389
America fucking sucks. I'll be the first to admit that. I remember lamenting to someone once that we're still using cash for anything instead of just having fully electronic currency. And she pointed out what I already knew: you could never do it in America because there'd be too fucking many identity thieves who'd implode the system.

>>54378396
>More secure
In what way? I want some actual proof.

>>54378403
It's fucking absurd in this country. And after getting my identity stolen once alread (still don't even know how it happened) I perfectly know why identity theft is so popular. The banks cover up for the identity thieves. They won't prosecute, they won't reveal any information about the thief, even to authorities unless you break their fucking arms. It's preposterous. Half a year later and I'm STILL just trying to figure out HOW it happened, since I'm very careful with my personal information.
>>
>>54378418
In America those machines can take up to a minute I've experienced it and it was shocking.

It just sits there verifying. I gave one shop my UK card and the machine crashed.

I don't blame them for being pissed. Sometimes you still have to swipe. If every time I went into a shop I didn't know whether I had to insert, swipe, sign or enter a pin and still show ID for all of this shit mind you, I'd be pissed too.
>>
>>54378442

It's more secure because you have a 4 digit PIN code instead of NOTHING
>>
>>54378494
But I don't have to enter shit. It works the same. It just takes significantly longer.
>>
>>54378523

Oh really? Well then it is shit. In the UK we have a PIN code as well. You might as well swipe if you're not going to have that in the US.
>>
>>54375837
So many viruses are tailored to phone OS's at this point, I don't see why I'd want to put my card into my phone.

Honestly, just because you don't get popups like "Hey youve got a virus! scan now to repair!!" doesn't mean you don't have a backdoor in place that's hidden. Don't trust that shit niggas.
>>
>>54378545
It won't work in newer systems. Everything in this country is like that. The old is almost always better than the new and new is infinitely less convenient. It has to be that someone is making money off of this because credit cards in America are about as secure as a gold brick put to the curb with the garbage for pickup.
>>
>>54378546
You can get cards capable of contactless payments. These are very secure. As for phone payments, both Apple and Google have extremely strict requirements for security and encryption. I highly doubt that malware targeting wireless payments on either system will be prevalent or that it will go unpatched for very long.
>>
>>54378373
>It's so beat up I had to tape it back together
There was nothing I couldn't stand more when I was a cashier
>>
File: louis smile.jpg (13 KB, 180x217) Image search: [Google]
louis smile.jpg
13 KB, 180x217
it's like 3 seconds max, I'm in Toronto.
>>
>>54373324
yes, it's required soon anyway in the US.
>>54373356
the original chipped credit cards weren't "smart chips". they produced the same transaction as magnetic strip. because of it launching in such a way, it got a stigma for being insecure and wasn't used in the US. not long after launch though, the "smart chips" replaced them. While a little slower, it was far more secure.
Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.