[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Replacing DVD with SSD. We are in 2016, why does computer manifacturers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 9
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 251x201
Replacing DVD with SSD.

We are in 2016, why does computer manifacturers still place DVD readers inside their crappy laptops? I mean, they could just leave the room for an other hard drive or anything you fucking want!

Has anyone ever forced this hardware replacement? Does it actually work like a normal SATA connection or it is just an other meme?
>>
>>54372673
>not using optical disks
Are you retarded, m8?
That's literally the cheapest way to backup data.
>>
You will miss the DVD drive. Good luck installing certain OSs from USB storage.
>>
File: 1459859965458_1.jpg (352 KB, 1208x564) Image search: [Google]
1459859965458_1.jpg
352 KB, 1208x564
its there for burning to allow putting presentation info or recorded video onto a common media format to give to other people. since theres alot of people that have dvd video players at home, its easier to give them burned dvd videos than trying to explain how to view a video file on a usb drive.
>>
>>54372695
>That's literally the cheapest way to backup data.
Are you completely fuckin retarded? Why would anyone keep 50 DVDs in his cupboard when 128GB USB Sticks are rewritable and availably for 20 bucks?

>>54372729
>You will miss the DVD drive. Good luck installing certain OSs from USB storage.
Any os that's worth installing can be installed via USB drive, the only thing would be if your hardware doesn't support it and in that case you wouldn't do it.

I have replaced the dvd drive in my T410 one and a half year ago and never missed it.
Do you know usb dvd readers exist?
>>
>>54372729
Such as? I've installed at least a handful of different linux/BSD/windows OSes the last few years and I have yet to encounter a single one that required me to have an optical drive.
>>
>>54372735
>its easier to give them burned dvd videos
You are not only a pirate, you are a dealer, you bastard. I personally do not give pirated shit to people that are too dumb to run it from a usb stick.

"This is da police, show us your pirated shit!"
"O sorry Mista Puliceman here is everything."
"Who gave you that?"
"I got it from anon."

Yay, great fun.
>>
>>54372729
Every computer I've had since 2012 hasn't had an optical drive. I haven't had occasion to need one in all that time.

This entire thread belongs like 3 years in the past. maybe more.
>>
>>54372774
I am afraid that this is not true, at least here in Italy...
Almost every laptop here has one of them and no space at all for customization.
Unless you buy online, of course, but still I don't understand why many producers still place them.
>>
>give pirated shit to people
guess you must be a lonely person that doesn't share home videos with family and friends if thats the only purpose of burning dvds you can come up with. really sad dude.
>>
>>54372740
>not having everything EMP secured
Enjoy your data loss in case of nuclear war/EMP bomb.
>>
>>54372806
>projecting
My family and friends aren't retarded they know how to put a usb stick in their smart tv and play a video from it you dork. In what third world shithole do you live where a tv does not have usb already?
>>
>>54372812
Ok, kid, mom called for lunch, get out.
>>
>>54372735
>its there for burning to allow putting presentation info or recorded video onto a common media format
like a USB thumb drive?
>to give to other people.
Other people with computers that have USB ports?
>since theres alot[sic] of people that have dvd video players at home,
Almost everyone has a computer. Some unknown lower percentage have DVD players these days.
>its easier to give them burned dvd videos than trying to explain how to view a video file on a usb drive.
... What? Computers can handle dramatically more formats and encodings than a dedicated DVD player. And computers are ubiquitous; a lot of people have given up DVD players in favor of streaming services.

I could accept the argument that DVDs take all of the burden onto yourself to ensure that everything works properly (you need to encode and burn everything yourself), but the marginal benefit there is just that: marginal.

If you use one of the 5 most commonly used encoding formats, and one of the 5 most commonly used video containers, and someone still can't handle that file with their computer (or, for that matter, figure it out on their own), then they have Down Syndrome or something.
>>
>>54372673
>all the people you know only uses dvds and shit

Even my old fat grandma connects her laptop to the television with a fucking cable.
Shit, even her DVD home reader has a USB port.
ANYONE now can read at least a USB stick
>>
>>54372823
>not wanting reliable data medium without electronics
It's like HDD/flash drive never failed on you.
>>
>>54372740
>Why would anyone keep 50 DVDs in his cupboard when 128GB USB Sticks are rewritable and availably for 20 bucks
Because 50 DVDs can store 400 GB of data compared to your 128GB stick.
>>
>>54372838
>DVD
>Reliable Medium
Ok. You are an idiot.
>>
>>54372846
>DVDs
>not bluray disks
kek
>>
>>54372861
You're an idiot. Technology used in producing DVD drives constantly changes. Modern disks are far more reliable than these old cheapest disks, faggot.
Also LTO > BD > HDD > SSD for long-term storage.
>>
>>54372846
>Because 50 DVDs can store 400 GB of data compared to your 128GB stick.
And you need about 3 days to burn that shit and change your medium 50 times. And you need 50 more if you want to do it again. And you can't do a media rotation on your backup task.
Sorry, but are you completely out of this world retarded?
>>
>>54372673
I just ordered a hdd caddy that fits into my optical drive bay, should be here next week, I've already fallen for the ssd meme, so I want ot have my old hdd there for mass storage.

Not sure if there are some electronics in there, but iirc the shape of the sata connection is different.
>>
>>54372805
I can't understand how Italy is living in a time bubble, but in the US I might see 1 laptop out of 20 with an optical drive, and I only see a DVD player attached to a TV in roughly as many homes.

When blu-ray started taking off and killed HD-DVD, a lot of customers got fed up that now they were expected to pay more for these shitty new discs when just a decade earlier they had to do the same shit to replace their VHS tapes. Those people got Netflix accounts, and just threw their DVD players out.

I'm sure more than 1/20 of households still have a DVD player in their homes, and maybe they're even still in the living room and not in a box in the garage somewhere. But I'm willing to bet that 19/20 haven't used their DVD player recently enough for the interface to be familiar to them, let alone how to fix shit if anything goes wrong.
>>
>>54372846
External hard drives with a few TB of data are basically oversized sticks nowadays, a 3.5'' fits into a skinny jeans pocket.
>>
>>54372875
>Also LTO > BD > HDD > SSD for long-term storage.
Good luck on finding your backup and restoring it before SLA ends. This site is full of tech illiterate faggots nowadays.
>>
>>54372673
I haven't used physical media in years.
>>
>>54372729
I install both windows and Linux from USB storage. Are you implying it's difficult to do?
>>
>>54372904
I said long-term storage and from the beginning we're talking about private use. I didn't say a single word about corporate infrastructure you illiterate dog shit.
>>
>>54372875
>Thread goes about cheap backup storage
>LTO!!!
>LTO!!!
>LTO!!!
God you are stupid, please kill yourself, you waste my oxygen.
>>
>>54372891
Yup, and the data is also trashed when your mechanical HDD falls out of your pocket. Great backup solution.
>>
>>54372729
>from USB
What is this, the 70s?
PXE is a thing.
>>
>>54372920
>I didn't say a single word about corporate infrastructure you illiterate dog shit.
Then why did you even remotely mention lto you dumbfuck? No one with a sane mind uses LTO at home. You are out of this world stupid.
>>
>>54372922
>not watching ebay to get LTO drives for almost free
>not working in IT
>not getting deprecated LTO drives from your company
Why are you even here? You need to be at least 18 to post here.
>>
>>54372929
Well, if you carry 50 DVDs with you at all times as a backup solution and you get gangraped by a gang of hoodlums, they might break your DVDs out of spite, so that's not optimal either
>>
>>54372936
I do. My friends do.
Kys
>>
>>54372673
I have several times. Works great, disk drives are on the same sata ports as any other storage device so of course it just works
>>
>>54372673
I did this recently tried t put in the dvd bay and it resulted in the SSD being slow as fuck even though the internal dvd drive port is supposed to be SATA III 6gb/s, it may be compatibility problems with the caddy or controller speed in that port.
So I just ended up opening the laptop and installing the SSD in the main sata port and putting the HDD in the dvd port and it worked properly, the SSD performs as it should now, and the HDD is even faster than before wtf?
>>
>>54372980
You are the first one to say something actually useful, thanks m8.
>>
>>54372954
Proof or gtfo
>>
File: 1459200141003.jpg (703 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1459200141003.jpg
703 KB, 2560x1440
>>54373077
There you go you underaged little slut.
Archived picture because I'm out in my company right now.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2 KB, 125x70) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2 KB, 125x70
>>54373093
here's more autismal part of this appliance
It's buried deep underground by now.
>>
>>54372929
>falls out of your pocket
do you have holes for pockets?
>>
>>54373093
Kek. Enjoy being a snowflake anon.
>>
File: 2.jpg (2 KB, 125x70) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
2 KB, 125x70
>>54373113
12 LTO-3 tape drives + 1 cleaning one. All contain 400GB veracrypt containers with cascade encryption + 50 GBs of 400GBs are used as recovery data.
Full of private data, videos, pictures of me and my family (since 1950, all non-digital pictures are scanned in high res).
>>
>>54373133
>not securing things that are important to you
Kek kid. I bet you don't even have such data. It's no surprise since you don't have any friends or family that loves you.
>>
>>54372846
What about files bigger then 4,7GB you'd need to split and join them manually each time which is also a pain.
>>
>>54373167
>what is dual layer disk
>>
anyone still using optical is a fucking retard, end of story
>>
>>54373170
>what is dual layer disk
still not enough, that's what it is. also slow. and i remember using dual-layer disks, 70% of them died within a week
>>
>>54373177
Well, these had to be extremely old. Modern disks are reliable as hell.
>>
>>54373186
fuck'em. literally stick your dick through the disc hole
>>
>>54373186
>muh anecdotal evidence
>>
>>54373220
Oh the irony.
>>
>>54373170
a pain in the ass
>>
>>54372673
literally no new laptop comes with an optical drive. it's not 2008
>>
>>54372673
>SSD
>not waiting for optane drives
Enjoy your catastrophic data loss.
>>
>>54373262
In Italy it's the fucking contrary, I swear to God.
>>
>>54373226
yes, because 70% of two cakes of sony and intenso dual-layers discs dead on two different drives is clearly "anecdotal" evidence
>>
>>54373296
what models? it's not like italy manufactures laptops themselves. i follow laptop reviews and stuff and i don't reallt see any models with optical drives. 13 inch laptops are a no, and on 15 inch laptops only budget models have them which are too cheap to have ssd anyway. optical has long gone the way of the dinosaur
>>
>>54373262
>no new laptop
you're fucked in the head, m8
>>
>>54373273
Back up your data, like you should already be doing, and there is little risk.

>>54372945
sounds sweet, I should try that. I get free drives from work. Some have bent SATA pins or broken plastic back pieces but are fully functional after 5 minutes of work, some are SSDs showing minor SMART wear that somebody put in the bin not knowing better
>>
File: 1457112486119.jpg (737 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1457112486119.jpg
737 KB, 2560x1440
>>54373139
>>54373113
kek, now I can't see I posted a thumbnail.
>>
File: 1457112870160.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1457112870160.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>54373493
can*
>>
>>54373211
Anon, if you can actually do that then I have some bad news...
>>
>>54372673
Are caddies from aliexpress worth my time? I see one for 5 or 6 bucks, will it do the job?
>>
>>54372673
Will it bottleneck my SSD or should I go for HDD when replacing?
>>
>>54374172
My CD drive only had a SATA 300 connection, which could bottleneck an SSD, but it would still be faster than an HDD. Best solution would be to put the SSD in the HDD's place (assuming that has SATA 600), and put the HDD in the CD caddy.
>>
>>54373148
>It's no surprise since you don't have any friends or family that loves you
>plot twist: his family is dead and his "friends" moved away that's why he is completely autistic about his data
>being this bitter about himself
Photos won't bring your momma back dude.
I have mine on my notebook synced and keep it synced to my nas like all normal people do.
>>
>>54372980
Then your laptop must be of shitty quality. Lenovo T-Series with an ultrabay had no speed problems with ssd.
>>
File: 840 EVO Sata2.png (39 KB, 417x377) Image search: [Google]
840 EVO Sata2.png
39 KB, 417x377
>>54374159

I bought one of those from the chinks and it works just fine.
I don't think they're any different from the official products.
Probably manufactured in the same factories anyways.

>>54374172

Depends on your connector.
My G750 gayming laptop has SATA 2 for the optical drive, but SSD is still way faster than anything HDD can reach through that thing.

Remember that most of the things that SSD does aren't bottlenecked by SATA 2 and even the limited max reads and writes are way faster than anything HDD can achieve.
So just go full SSD if you're getting one of these caddies.
>>
>>54372673
Normies like their DVD player. It will be blu-ray standard eventually. Keep your damn pants on, autismlord. We all know you open the thing up to replace the HDD and RAM anyway.
>>
>>54373093
Fine. You are an autist.
What has that to do with optical drives in fuckin laptops you idiot?
You know that's the topic of the thread, no one is interested in what grave you bury your dead parents fotos.
>>
>>54372673
>Tfw no ultrabook to double as portable blu ray player
Life is suffering

Hp probook 640g2 is the only hope
>>
>>54372929
>Yup, and the data is also trashed when your mechanical HDD falls out of your pocket.
>your mechanical HDD falls out of your pocket.
You should see a doctor.
>>
>>54374320
>Normies like their DVD player.
That was 3 years ago grandpa.
Nowadays even tech retards have smart TVs.
DVDs are for collectors that want a shiny case to be in their cupboards mostly.
>>
>>54374288
Your NAS can be buttfucked and fried by a single transformer failure in your area caused by a simple storm. For sure you own a $30000 worth electrical installation capable of handling such incidents.
Now enjoy your NSA powered NAS while you still can.
Also
>projecting this hard
kek
>>
>>54374324
You started bitching about LTO being shit, I proved you wrong.
Now you're crying over the fact I responded to your nonsense. Kill yourself.
>>
>>54374980
A simple surge protector should protect against that though, right?
>>
Actually, a lot of newer laptops, in all price ranges, are starting to leave out DVD drives
Source: I work at best buy and sell these shits to normies all day
>>
>>54374575
You'd be surprised how common DVDs are with the normie crowd.
>>
This is not an argument whether to use optical media or not but rather if optical media is relevant enough to be built in a laptop in 2016 and consume valuable space that could be used for better cooling or extra drives, battery etc. You always have an option of using an external burner
>>
>>54372673
Believe it or not there are people who refuse to purchase a laptop without an optical drive
>>
>>54376088

They are called retards
>>
>>54372829
Too autistic and lonely to realize that some households, not your bedroom, actually watch movies on their TV in the livingroom using standard DVD players. Not to mention it's cheaper to give your kid a DVD full of cartoons and when they scratch it all to hell you can just burn another.
>>
>>54376107
They're called people who still regularly use optical discs
>>
>>54376147

So are you proving my point or what?
>>
>>54376084

For the average consumer, any kinds of optical media is basically useless.
Even my mother who has tons of DVDs and understands next to nothing about computers, has moved to watching everything online from Netflix and whatever other places are out there.

Unfortunately that free extra space provided by removing optical drives, sure as hell won't be used to house extra drive slots,bigger battery or extra cooling.
Only thing the manufacturers will do, is spread things further apart and make the fuckers thinner.
>>
>>54376170
There's nothing wrong with using optical discs.
>>
>>54372838
>>54372861
I've had both DVD and USB fuck me over. The DVD was the oldest by years and I could've taken better care of it. I had a USB fuck me over within a year. Good thing I still had a trusty DVD backup so all was not lost, just some more recent stuff.
>>
File: 1460845162280.jpg (281 KB, 706x1798) Image search: [Google]
1460845162280.jpg
281 KB, 706x1798
>mfw i only torrent movies 720p rips that are 4.0-4.5GB in size so they fit on a single layer DVD disc and keep a whole album w/ them
optical media still dabes
>>
>>54372695
>DVDs
9¢/GB
>1TB HDD
4¢/GB
>>
>>54372889
You sure nailed it anon. You might want to go and tell that loser company, Redbox, that they're running a dead format. This might comfort me some while I wait in line at a Redbox next time I want to check out one of those dead DVD things.
>>
>>54372740
>backup
>usb stick
found the retard
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.