[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best programming language and why is it Ruby?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2
File: index.png (5 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
index.png
5 KB, 241x209
What's the best programming language and why is it Ruby?
>>
>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer
>>
>>54371712
>I know nothing about programming
ok
>>
Op is a huge faggot
>>
>>54371673
How can you tell someone is a ruby developer?

You don't. They will let you know.
>>
>>54371673
F#
it's functional programming done right
>>
>>54371673
ruby is just a prototype for crystal.
>>
What's the best programming language and why is it COBOL
>>
>>54371673
Wew
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/9569
>>
English
>>
Monkey-patching. Ruby's da best because of monkey-patching.
>>
HolyC, its C done right
>>
Times New Roman
>>
>>54373337
there is nothing wrong with the maintainers' attitudes. They are not crypto experts, so what should they rely on except the official document? Some random people (self proclaimed experts) in the internet who won't hold any responsibility in case it will be a bad decision? Reading the source code of linux kernel themselves to confirm that the manpage is outdated and the claim of those people are correct?
>>
>>54371918

But functional programming isn't normally a good choice.

That's like asking 'what's your favorite household tool?' and you answered 'pineapple corer'.

I mean, it's great at decoring pineapples but it's not useful for most household chores
>>
>>54371908
>How can you tell someone is a ruby developer?

>Lives in San Fran or Austin
>Vapes
>Owns macbook
>Bernie 2016 sticker on back of their Honda Fit
>Looks like typical nu-male
>>
>>54375021

I'm a Ruby developer
>I live in South England
>I don't vape
>I own a MacBook because they're competent computers
>I voted for the Conservatives in the last election (that is, the right wing party)
>To be honest the fact that you have unironically used the term "nu-male" says a lot more about you than it does about anyone else. As I said I voted Tory, I'm not some left-wing SJW. But I don't go around calling people "nu-males" because I'm not some insecure sad, angry, bitter, impotent faggot.
>>
>>54375162
>>MacBook because they're competent computers

>thinking it be like it is not like it do

What the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>54375162
>I live in England
Do you still need to do a background check and a licence in order to buy a kitchen knife ? One with a rounded tip, of course, else you might hurt someone with it, just ask the liberals.
>>
>>54375417
Why did you even read past "I am a Ruby developer"?
>>
>>54373871
When the crypto community agrees that they should it makes sense that the Ruby community should probably listen
>>
>>54375739
why should they? And how the heck we know thay they really came from the crypto community (or that they are really that truth-worthy)?
>>
>>54371673
Name 5 good programs written in Ruby
Hard mode: no Ruby on Rails
>>
Why would you use Ruby instead of node?
>>
File: never everr.png (568 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
never everr.png
568 KB, 600x580
>>54375021

Also:

>uses sublime text
>'is working' on his 'startup'
>it's a social media app made with rails
>sits in starbux all day editing static pages and updating his fb, insta and twitter about how hard work pays off and how he's gonna make it big
>>
>>54375758
Because every other language listens http://www.2uo.de/myths-about-urandom/
>>
>>54371673
It's the best because it's slower than every other hipster lang.
>>
>>54375797
underrated post
>>
>>54375826
that's not the reason. You are implying "the mass is always right", which is dumb.
>>
>>54375797
shooes
thor
rake
chef
sequel
sinatra
jekyll
etc.
>>
>>54375852
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71211
Please see
>>
>>54375797

Metasploit
Nanoc
Rack
Sinatra
Thor
>>
>>54375873

>shooes

Is it any good?

I thought GUI stuff in Ruby was pretty much dead..
>>
>>54375875
you are as retarded as those people in the ruby mailing lists. First you linked a blog post, which is almost no way to be confirmed to have the right source of information (people lobbying all the time, just look at those webscale memes), then a kernel bug that wasn't fixed nor confirmed.
>>
>>54375918
good enough for what it was intended to, it's dead though.

_why is truly a legend.
>>
>>54375921
I don't appreciate the insult, but it boils down to whether you want to take the outdated manpage as gospel, or listen to the cryo/kernel devs and follow what other languages are doing.

That being said I don't work in Ruby day to day so I have no dog in the fight, so I don't really care what Ruby does desu
>>
>>54371673

Python is clearly the superior language my good sir. I'm sorry to hear you've had to deal with the clusterfuck of a language that is ruby.
>>
>>54375797
Sinantra
Brew
GitHub
Rack
Thor
>>
>>54375811

Mostly because Ruby is more stable and has been around the block compared to Node.

JS evolves so fast it's hard to tell if you're creating a massive pile of technical debt, or on the 'next big thing' framework.
>>
>>54375948
>I don't appreciate the insult, but it boils down to whether you want to take the outdated manpage as gospel, or listen to the cryo/kernel devs and follow what other languages are doing.

at least OpenSSL's behavior is guaranteed to do what securerandom want it to, /dev/urandom behavior is only guaranteed by its maintainer (which is indicated by the manpage, as far as a bystander like me seeing it), not by some ergotards in the internet. You choose what you want to believe in.

It's not that of a huge issue anyway. You don't have to recompile the whole interpreter for some ruby code which can easy overridden (or use another library for it)
>>
I've done some CS101 stuffs, what's the book to get me started with Ruby and rails.
>>
>>54375955

Both are quality and Ruby is probably closer to Python than any other language. Mind that Ruby was intended as an mixture of PERL and Python + some more Object Orientation in the first place.

Anyway, here's why the Metasploit team decided for Ruby:

>During the development of the framework, the one recurring question that the
Metasploit staff was continually asked was why Ruby was selected as
the programming language.
(...)
>The first (and primary) reason that Ruby
was selected was because it was a language that the Metasploit staff enjoyed
writing in. After spending time analyzing other languages and factoring in past
experiences, the Ruby programming language was found to offer both a simple
and powerful approach to an interpreted language. (...)
>The Python programming language was also a language candidate. The reason the Metasploit staff opted for Ruby instead of python was for a few different reasons. The primary reason is a general distaste for some of the syntactical annoyances forced by python, such as block-indention. While many would argue the benefits of such an approach, some members of the Metasploit staff find it to be an unnecessary restriction. Other issues with Python center around limitations in parent class method calling and backward compatibility of interpreters.
>The C/C++ programming languages were also very seriously considered, but in the end it was obvious that attempting to deploy a portable and usable framework in a non-interpreted language was something that would not be feasible.

Source:
>https://dev.metasploit.com/pipermail/framework/2006-October/001325.html
>>
>>54375955
this is bait

>>54375797
Eversion (uses mruby)
As for the rest, I don't give a shit. Also, Sinatra isn't good, it's slow.
>>
>>54375955
you meant python2, right?
>>
>>54371751
Nothing about that statement had to do with programming, anon.
>>
>>54375162
>i live in south england
>goes on telling me what he voted for

you live in south england mate, what else would you vote for but tory

>>54375472
fuck off
>>
>>54376108
>Also, Sinatra isn't good, it's slow
It's good for what it's intended too. For faster performance I will just use elixir/phoenix instead.
>>
Haskell
>>
>>54373488
why did I laugh at this
>>
>>54375817
>uses sublime text

Now it would be Atom, because it's written in node

>sits in starbux all day editing static pages and updating his fb, insta and twitter about how hard work pays off and how he's gonna make it big

Yeah they are basically the tech equivalent of fat cunts on facebook selling Lularoe clothing or It Works! body wraps
>>
>>54371673
Python
>>
>>54377744
>mfw I use atom
What's wrong with atom? What do you guys use instead?
>>
>>54379834
>I use atom
lmao

Sublime is better and more lightweight. If you're going to use something as heavy as Atom, you may as well use an IDE, like those from JetBrains
>>
>>54379854
there's no reason to use sublime when you can use the more developed and stable vim or emacs
>>
>>54379854

Sublime isn't better at anything than Atom, except for teetering on the brink of abandonware.

And Atom isn't particularly 'heavy' unless you're trying to run it on ten year old hardware or something.

Atom runs fine for me on a USB 3.0 stick based chroo on a Chromebook with 4GB RAM, using linter, auto complete, and a bunch of other packages.

If it can run fine on a 4GB RAM machine running two OSs simultaneously and from a USB drive, it can run fine pretty much anywhere.

Also, syncing Atom packages and config automatically with git is cash money hoes all in one.
>>
well, I must say that I do find Ruby pretty enjoyable to write and read, but the performance is pretty bad and many other languages offer better library options for many different applications. Ruby is just too impractical for a lot of use cases to be called "the best," at least to my thinking where "the best" overall language should be both pleasant to write and generally applicable enough to be usable for most serious tasks.
>>
>>54376857
Kind of agree. One of my favorite quotes about haskell is that it "makes impossible problems merely difficult, and easy tasks difficult, too."

I just think haskell is fun, though, and has some cool theoretical benefits. I hope it continues to gain momentum.
>>
>>54375739
>appeal to authority

I don't care what you purport a group of people think. Cold hard facts and citations or gtfo.
>>
>>54376012
JS *is* a massive pile of technical debt
>>
>>54380213
>needing 4GB to run a text editor
>>
>>54371673
Who is a faggot and why is it OP?
>>
>>54381214
http://crystal-lang.org/

fund it if you have spare money
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.