[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm always ridiculed by my choice of language and get told
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1461639456199.png (44 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1461639456199.png
44 KB, 657x527
I'm always ridiculed by my choice of language and get told it's a "meme language"

But I just want to know what is the language that is the least bad and also used in the industry.

Post why language X is the true language by telling me it's strengths, weaknesses, and how much its used in the industry.
>>
Do your own homework.
>>
>>54370277
If [language x] can do what you want to do, then it is a fine language. Grow a spine: Do not let other people decide what you like.
>>
>>54370277
lawn 1502 days ago

It's funny. Every time I use a new language, or go back to an old favourite, it becomes my favorite language for a time. Static typing? Wonderful error messages! Dynamic typing? It does what I want! Functional programming? This is the future of programming! Object-oriented programming? I can describe the world! Low level? My code is fast. High level? My code is *expressive.
Is this normal or is it just me? Don't you come to like, or love, a new language? Every time I do something different I realize how good things could be. But this is just a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" I guess.
>>
english. If you have a sufficiently strong grasp of social interactions, you can have others do the work, while you are paid more highly! Yes my friend: management lingo is the most used language in the industry. Here's a primer: "agile" "zeitgeist" "onboarding" "leverage".
>>
>>54370303
I've only learned a lang so I'm not sure.
I just wanna know whats the best out there so I don't waste time soul searching a lang
>>
>>54370321
that if has no else for me to execute
>>
>>54370328
>I just wanna know whats the best out there
There is no "best".
>>
>>54370328
Learn java, Ruby, haskell, racket, Javascript, prolog, C, and perl.

Then realize that it is stupid to ask "What is the best tool in a toolbox?" or "What is the best car for every task?" or "What is the best shoe for any occasion?"
>>
>>54370303
other way around. Every time I switch languages or environments I find all the little things to bitch about
>ugh I have put this in a class
>ugh I have to declare "var"
>ugh I have to write "$" to access variables
>fucking scope
>fucking pointers
>fucking null pointers

scope is a bitch when every language handles it ever-so-slightly differently
>>
>>54370328
Depends on the application. What kind of programs do you want to write?
>>
>>54370500
ai
web backend
cli utilities (ncurses too)
maybe at least one fps (for fun)
>>
File: 1455875626060.jpg (130 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
1455875626060.jpg
130 KB, 1023x682
>>54370277
Golang:
>Is not OOP, +10 /g/ points
>concurrent +4
>no semicolons +1
>statically typed +10
>huge but not required standard lib like sepples +10
>built in networking libs +4
>binaries have no deps except for syscalls you app uses +10
>heavily used in web industry -10
>unsafe memory access is a pain -4
>does not use a C compatible stack, so interop between most other languages is a pita -10

It's used quite a lot in the web industry now, there are a small number of startups that have become very successful in a short time, crediting go as the driving force(see: docker). Has adoption by large established multinationals like IBM, Google and Uber.

The biggest weakness is of course still the immaturity of the documentation and amount of libraries and code available to learn from.
>>
>>54370586
>ai
Racket

>web backend
PHP

>cli utilities (ncurses too)
Python

>maybe at least one fps (for fun)
C++
>>
>>54370645
I agree with this.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.