[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is Swift any good? how does it compare to Objective-C?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: swift-128x128.png (4 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
swift-128x128.png
4 KB, 128x128
is Swift any good?
how does it compare to Objective-C?
>>
File: 1449648265290.jpg (44 KB, 618x437) Image search: [Google]
1449648265290.jpg
44 KB, 618x437
>>54367060
>Sjwift
>>
No, it's shit.
>>
I'm taking an iOS programming unit at the moment, and I really don't like using Swift.
The development environment and tools are all pretty nice, but there are too many things about Swift that bug me to really enjoy the process.
>>
slave functions are hard working but master is pretty lazy
>>
>>54367947
like what?
>>
It's like if Apple combined every recent programming meme into one language. It may seem like it would be good, but generally it's just weird to use.
>>
There are some pretty funny ways to blow up the compile time to the order of hours.
https://spin.atomicobject.com/2016/04/26/swift-long-compile-time/
>>
>>54367060
its the result of an opensource language with no standard defined. also known as a cluster fuck.
>>
>>54367060
I like it. The syntax is great everything looks clean at least with small projects. Performance is fine I'm more concerned about making a product so I don't pay too much attention to that aspect. Objective-C is better if you want to be employed so I'm learning that right now
>>
>>54367060
Its good and fun to use, but if you want a job you need to know Obj-C anyway as many companies still have a large code base on Obj-C.
>>
>>54367060
Swift is faster than obj -c due to its static calling compared to obj c it's all guarantee dynamic. As far as right now swift is an OK language to learn but there isn't a lot of resources to help you debug a problem nor a lot of internships or companies seeking swift programmers. Another downside is that swift 3.0 will bring changes to its current 2.2. By changes I mean fuck ton of changes that screws people over. For swift to compile you need x code on your mac or use virtual. But an upside for swift is that the documentation for the language is 10/10. Apple and swift.org done a good deed. I'd hold off and learn python or something else and get on the hype about machine learning
>>
>>54368484
this
>>54368753
this too
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.