[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What linux distro and DE would you recommend to someone who has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: NI2RbPe.png (386 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
NI2RbPe.png
386 KB, 1440x900
What linux distro and DE would you recommend to someone who has never touched any OS besides Windows?
>>
>>54365539
Ubuntu or
Mint MATE

You can also try Arch with latest KDE.

Gnome is an abomination.
>>
>>54365539
Best tip: Stop overthinking it. Just hop on

Learn as you go, you won't know anything at first but with time you'll get accustomed to it. Don't feel ashamed that you don't remember how the entire Gnu/Linux system works and what all the core utilities do and what arguments they take
>>
Gentoo
>>
Mint Cinnamon: For people just switching from Windows, a very pretty and excellent first experience.
Xubuntu: Easy to configure, it's lightweight while still very friendly to new users.
Lubuntu: If you want minimalism or installing Linux on an old computer, or want something that just works.

Stay away from Arch and Gentoo for now. Debian Is intermediate level.
>>
I started with Ubuntu but would actually recommend Linux Mint coming from Windows. I like the Cinnamon version, but if you're running older hardware, mate is my favorite DE. It's an easy install. Just read the directions. The installer will guide you through. You can still keep Windows while using it. It's worth trying, whether you end up liking Linux, or decide to pass.
>>
>>54365539
Arch KDE
>>
>>54365539
Linux Mint
>>
mint or xubuntu

even manjaro
>>
>>54365780
>Stay away from Arch and Gentoo for now. Debian Is intermediate level.

but it's not.

There's no such thing as "expert level" or "beginner level", only how much of the system is abstracted to the user.

It's not like a trilogy of books or courses in College where you need to pass Calculus II to do Calculus III. You can just read the archwiki and learn how shit works and how to do it.
>>
>>54365885
manjarrrro
>>
File: 1461769075796.jpg (187 KB, 1804x846) Image search: [Google]
1461769075796.jpg
187 KB, 1804x846
>>54365539
Kubuntu is the most similar to Windows you're gonna get.
>>
>>54365903
Why not just jumping to Linux From Scratch and compile everything from source?

Arch and Gentoo do have a learning curve, a steep learning curve. They have concepts which winblows users haven't met. You just happen to have the knowledge without noticing.
>>
>>54365539
If you're going to make the switch, enjoy troubleshooting even with a beginner distro.
>>
>>54365903
You need at least be familiar with the terminal.
For example my first distro was Crunchbang and I had at first a hard time navigating directories because I would try to cd /music/ or cd /music and wonder why it didn't work.
>>
Linux Mint, Ubuntu (or any derivations).

Just look at how GNOME, MATE, KDE, Unity, XFCE and the rest of the DEs looks like, pick one you fancy, and use the Ubuntu or Mint version of it. Keep it simple in the beginning, and once you start learning, you'll most likely develop other preferences.
>>
File: Lubuntu_win95.png (53 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Lubuntu_win95.png
53 KB, 1600x900
>>54365930
>Kubuntu is the most similar to Windows you're gonna get.
u wot m8?

Here is "How to have a Win 95 theme on Lubuntu":

download the next link and create a .themes folder on your home directory and move it there
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Win3x?content=169112
select win3x on widget

download the next link and save it to .icons on home directory
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Classic95?content=157298
add to
~/.icons/Classic95/scalable/actions
an icon you like named
system-shutdown-panel.svg
and another icon you like named
window-manager.svg

select classic95 on icon theme

download this wallpaper
https://i.imgur.com/I4IF27V.jpg
change to the wallpaper

download next pic and save it on /usr/share/lubuntu/images
https://i.imgur.com/F0Ax1j7.png
right click on menu button, select menu settings, select the saved menu button

install audacious and download this skin
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Winamp+Classic+skin+for+Audacious?content=135799
save it here /usr/share/audacious/Skins
go to "view" -> "interface preferences", and change skin
>>
elementary OS
>>
File: chromeOnLubuntuMainMenu.jpg (20 KB, 533x300) Image search: [Google]
chromeOnLubuntuMainMenu.jpg
20 KB, 533x300
>>54366054
Or maybe just, you know, use Lubuntu as it is for the easiest first experience ever.

Even installin new software is soooo easy on Lubuntu that OP might be surprised.
>>
>>54365999
so fuckin true. its been years since ive used a distro and nothing has changed at all.

saying that OP, try fedora.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.