[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Med tech thread. Why do cochlear implants suck so much? I 'hear'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Med tech thread.

Why do cochlear implants suck so much? I 'hear' they have a really artificial sound that is a learning process to interpret (I'm watching a documentary about this shit at the moment). Why is biology so hard to understand? Why is it so hard to create artificial limbs etc? The human organism is the most studied thing on our planet yet we seem to know very little about it. If there were any other reason to believe there is some cosmic almighty being then this is it.
>>
>>54364918
Ikr? And fuckin magnets, how do they work?
>>
File: file.png (342 KB, 800x582) Image search: [Google]
file.png
342 KB, 800x582
>>54364918
cause shits complicated
you got like electrical stuff that gets converted into chemical stuff that gets converted back again and all that crap
>>
>>54364918
From what I hear, the problem comes from stimulating the nerve using electricity. It is difficult to generate the fine details of the signal to represent sound well, but still have that signal stimulate the nerve.
>>
>>54364918
Think about windows, how it's so bloated and buggy because they have to support legacy software. They can't just start over from scratch because that would take too long and they can't drop support for older shit because banks and institutions who rely on that would collapse.
Now extend that metaphor millions of years, combined with the fact that there's no real direction or goal other than survival, and you have biology in a nutshell.
>>
Probably the right thread for this...

Anyone know a good way of stopping the natural oils of a girls neck from stiffening a stethoscope's tubing?
>>
>>54365204
bathe her
>>
>>54365223
but after a busy on call, she will always be oozing oils.
>>
File: 1408138358615.png (14 KB, 470x457) Image search: [Google]
1408138358615.png
14 KB, 470x457
>>54364918
Because crybabies won't let us experiment directly on humans that have no other use.
>>
>>54365334
You have ZERO authority over a fellow humans usefullness.
>>
>>54364918
>hy do cochlear implants suck so much?
Because humans are unnecessarily complicated and unoptimised.
>>
>>54365374
>>54365334
Actually Nazy research has been INVALUABLE to the rest of humanity, except the ones the vivisected.
>>
>>54365374
I'd say the same if I was as useless as you
>>
>>54365397
Actually it is valuable. A professor I worked with gave it a numerical value. It was 6.
>>
>>54365204
Sup medbrah

I find using ward alcohol wipes on the stethoscope can help somewhat, but with a decent Littmann steth I haven't had many issues with stiffening myself
>>
>>54365743
>stiffening myself
snigger
>>
>>54365743
Literally only ever used Littmans, but 3 girls I know have this issue. I just tried heatshrinking onto my gf's steth but it made it too rigid.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.