[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://thenextweb.com/us/2016/05/01 /tor-vpn-users-will-targ
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: fuck.jpg (81 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
81 KB, 950x534
http://thenextweb.com/us/2016/05/01/tor-vpn-users-will-target-hacks-new-us-spying-rules/

So what now? Are there lesser-known alternatives to VPNs? Are there any likely consequences for people who will continue to use VPNs?
>>
Just make sure you don't have anything listening on 0.0.0.0.
>>
copy pasta for the lazy

>Tor and VPN users will be target of government hacks under new spying rule

>An update to the innocuous-sounding Rule 41 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure could soon grant powers to judges across the US to issue search warrants for law enforcement to remotely access devices that are using privacy tools.

>The new rule, which has just left the Supreme Court and is headed to Congress, could also end up targeting people who have been a victim of malware as it seeks to find the source of potentially harmful botnets.

>Malicious actors may even be able to hijack the malware the government uses to infiltrate botnets, because the government often doesn’t design its malware securely. Government access to the computers of botnet victims also raises serious privacy concerns, as a wide range of sensitive, unrelated personal data could well be accessed during the investigation. This is a dangerous expansion of powers, and not something to be granted without any public debate on the topic.

>Congress has until December 1 to strike down the amendment to the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, otherwise it’ll come into force across the federal court system.

>The key word here is “procedural.” By law, the rules and proposals are supposed to be procedural and must not change substantive rights. But the amendment to Rule 41 isn’t procedural at all. It creates new avenues for government hacking that were never approved by Congress.
>>
>>54351681
Using netstat, what should I be looking for in the output? Literally 0.0.0.0? I see a couple of asterisks, does that signify port 0.0.0.0?

Sorry, I'm fairly new to this
>>
>>54351866
He's joking, fampai.
Listening on 0.0.0.0 would imply that your listening function is eternally blocked/asleep, because 0.0.0.0 is an invalid IP address.

He also didn't specify a port.
Ports are typically denoted
IP-Address::Port
i.e. 0.0.0.0::0

Wildcards are for denoting an IP range. 0.0.0.* would search the range 0.0.0.0 - 0.0.0.255.

Learn you a fucking networks for greater good, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>54351994
Okay, so how do I actually check for NSA malware? Or is this just an unreasonable thing to be worrying about?
>>
Increase the number of people using VPNs and you lower the chances of picking any one user out of the crowd. There are legitimate uses for VPNs so I can't see how anyone could "outlaw" them.
>>
>>54352062
Fampai, if the NSA wanted to get into your computer, you probably wouldn't even know it.
http://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf
Not only is it possible for there to be hardware-level vulnerabilities, the NSA is a global passive adversary.
Meaning that they have full control over the US' nation-wide network, and that it would be trivial for them to place honeypots in places like Russia or Zimbabwe.

They can pull off mind-boggling tricks using their control over the network to round down an unknown target by simply turning off the internet in an entire region and seeing who stops talking.

If you need to hide from the NSA, you should do yourself a favor by wrapping a bag filled with helium tightly around your head.

If you don't need to hide from the NSA, stop being a paranoid fuckwit and get on with your life.
>>
>>54352198
Fair enough. I guess I'll stop being a paranoid fuckwit then.
>>
>>54351866
on your computer you get interfaces that are assigned an address. Your vpn server has an external and internal one. When you run a service like a database you configure an address to an address and a port that you listen for traffic. 0.0.0.0 tells the program to listen on all interfaces.

A webserver for example, listens on all interfaces so that when I go to the IP over port 80 I'm served some hot shitpost.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.