[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Increasing FrameRate by Recording SmallSegment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Image_Segment_FrameRate.png (18 KB, 621x493) Image search: [Google]
Image_Segment_FrameRate.png
18 KB, 621x493
Hey /g/

Is is possible to increase the frame rate of a cell phone camera by recording only a small portion of the 720p HD?

I want to get a high frame rate for a scientific microscope I am building on my phone but 240fps on the S7 isn't high enough. I only need a 50px by 1000 px wide strip to record. Right now the entire 1280x720 is mostly wasted. Is there a way I can select a smaller portion to record and increase the frame rate that way?

Or is there a way to record just the 50 by 1000 strip so I can save memory for the files I collect?

Thanks!
>>
>>54346784
Camera doesn't work like that
>>
>>54346898
So I'm stuck with imaging the entire area for each frame?

I thought if I was able to collect the charge accumulated in the CMOS pixel -> convert to RGB for a given array that I define to collect pixels from; and then define a new frame to collect data, it might work?
>>
>>54346943
The sensor isnt fast enough for this. There is a reason why real highspeed cameras are bulky and expensive.
>>
>>54346784
Buy two S7s and put them side by side.
Start the camera on one then start the camera on the other half a frame after the first one.
Then just mix the videos so that the odd frames of the video use the video from phone 1 and the un-odd frames use frames from phone 2.
There you now have your 480fps video
>>
>>54347073
I can't since I'm using it as a microscope the distance between the phone and setup is defined and there are bunch of other components around. I thought of using a beamsplitter to split the light into two rays that each goes to a separate phone to get 480fps but its not worth it.

I thought there might be some software way to control this.
>>
>>54347126
Ask around on pajeet forums, maybe some Rahaul can help you with a modified apk or something to improve the camera somehow.
>>
>>54346943
thing is you cant access the cmos array on a phone, you can at best have access to the cache between the host and the cmos chip

its not the cmos chip that is limiting you, is this cache and acquisition stage that is slow
some cameras do allow a higher framerate with a lower frame size (only a subset of rows and columns of the cmos chip are used)

you could nigger-rig some stuff together if you are really keen on making it work, get cheapo el potato cam, extract cmos, rig it next to a very high speed cache (no idea) get alot of light going into the scene and start recording
this would of course require more work, testing and sweat than just buying a high speed camera
>>
Set a camera up on a very fast delay. Increase the length of the delay very slightly and take another photo. Keep doing this and you'll simulate high frame rate video.
Not sure if it's possible to do for your situation, but it's an option in some cases.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.