[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>do college networking course >everything going fine >group
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: 1362568259792.jpg (68 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1362568259792.jpg
68 KB, 480x480
>do college networking course
>everything going fine
>group project
>>
stop being an assburger and socialize
>>
>literally a network course
>can't into basic social networking
WEW
>>
>>54342980
This lel
>>
>>54342960
everyone is assburgers in my class. it's doomed to fail
>>
What's your networking project on, OP?
Make a presentation on why OSPF is garbage and should be dropped.
>>
>>54343389
we have to design a network for a small business and product lots of tedious supporting documentation and reports

OSPF makes my brain hurt
>>
>>54343411
How big is the business? 100 people or so?
>>
The most important skill you learn in college is working with people. If you can't do that, you won't get anywhere in life.
>>
>>54344137
So learning to command idiots?
>>
>>54344305
Sure, whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>54344137

The most important thing you learn in college is that your team in adult work life will be exactly as shitty as your team in grade school group projects.

You'd think you can just jump ship and join a new company and a great team, but 1) it's harder than you've been led to believe and 2) it's always in flux and there's ALWAYS going to be a shitty person on your team. Usually the shitty person is your boss.
>>
i'm in a higher level java/android class and it was supposed to be in groups the whole semester but my partner dropped the course during the first assignment so i've been the only one in class working alone this whole time and have the best apps to show during code review desu.
>>
>>54344387
You make me proud, anon. Really you do.
>>
>>54344387
Do you think you're over-compensating?
>>
I always liked group projects.
>>
>>54344465
Because you're a normie.
>>
>>54344449
Shh. follow >>54344413 's lead.
He seems like a fatherless autismo that is one step away from becoming a mass shooter.
>>
>>54344305
Pretty much
>>
>>54344476
Probably because he knows how to properly take initiative. Either you're a leader of a follower. If you can't lead a bunch of idiots, then you're probably one of them.
>>
>>54344449
no just trying to bring up my gpa
>>
>>54342927
You just have to be active and initiate conversations. Try not to constantly ask "should we..." but have confidence and lead with "let's do.."

At least this is what I learned in my animes
>>
>>54344364
The difference between a grade and a job is that you can't defend yourself with a grade. Grad Schools will look at the higher number and pick that.
>>
>>54345007
Yeah this whole grade thing makes the entire process ass
>>
>>54342927
>>54344305
this sadly
my last group was full of idiots that literally were MEMES LOL the whole time,
and not like they had assburger and could actually do shit, they sucked too
>>
>>54345086
how did they get in university
>>
>>54344577
No. It's because the failures in his group, if there were any, did not significantly impact his grade or the amount of work he did. Or he is a dumb normie that doesn't care about grades.
>>
>>54345103
Rich parents that fund scholarships for the rest of us poorfags
>>
>>54345103
probably because every idiot can get into cs here
>>
>>54345176
>>54345103
practically no student fees here
>>
>>54344387

>higher level
>java/android class

Why is this even taught in school? This isn't academic. The only place you should maybe see that shit is in an intro programming course in freshman semester. Please tell me this isn't post-secondary education.
>>
>>54345007
>The difference between a grade and a job is that you can't defend yourself with a grade.

I don't know what you're trying to say, but it's the exact same thing.

"Oh, I see here that you were on Product X and that it hasn't been very successful" or "tell me about why your last product failed."

Same exact result. Whatever is on your resume affects your career going forward. You just have to eat shit and get it done, ignoring the fact that your project manager is a drama queen who slows down everything and that half your team is contributing nothing.
>>
File: 1444272880641.png (15 KB, 469x331) Image search: [Google]
1444272880641.png
15 KB, 469x331
>>54342927
>in programming class
>"please write a 100 word program in ruby about how white people oppress black people and women"
>due today

w-what do i do???
>>
>>54342927
>learning agile development principles
>dread working with knuckle dragger that has a solid 2.0 gpa
>get put into his fucking group
>knuckle dragger doesn't know how to write a for loop
>Explain it to him in words, knuckles writes

int i = 0;

>outside of the for loop for his counter variable
>spend the entire project baby sitting this tard and making sure his work actually does anything
>wonder what cruel deity created this universe and why he enjoys seeing me suffer
>>
>>54345321
>"Oh, I see here that you were on Product X and that it hasn't been very successful" or "tell me about why your last product failed."
This is exactly what I mean. You can explain what you achieved during the project, what you learned, and why it was not your fault.
>>
>>54345177
Tfw my school is so saturated with pajeets you need a near perfect gpa to be considered for cs
>>
>>54342927
>group project
God, what a nightmare. There's only _ ways a school group project goes down:

1. No one takes an organizer role, first day is spent sitting around awkwardly, no one is sure what they're supposed to be doing, 30% of the group get together in the last 3 days and pull something out of their ass, giving the rest of the group one little inconsequential task each, or nothing at all.

2. You step up and try to plan out a basic outline, making sure the workload gets split evenly, so you can get the ball rolling right away, some faggot pipes up with "who made you leader?", claim no leadership and let him/her take whatever role he/she wants, everyone pisses around until the last 3 days, 30% of the group didn't get their shit done, the faggot who "challenged leadership" did the wrong part that someone else already did.

Either everyone gets a decent mark for the project, including the heel-draggers who intentionally did nothing, or the group gets a shit mark because clearly 30% of the group did all the work and the other 70% were fuck ups who dragged the mark down.

Either way, fuck group projects. It really is an accurate exercise in emulating a typical co-operative workplace, complete with some dogfucker employees, some try-hards getting all the responsibilities dumped on them, and inept/impersonal/out-of-touch management, all just barely managing to co-operate long enough to scrape together a standard-quality result.
>>
>>54345418

You won't even get the interview because you were associated with the failed product/company/whatever.
>>
>Be me
>Advanced algorithms class
>Group project time
>Don't know anybody because antisocial as fuck
>Paired with random girl
>She fucks around for 1 week doing nothing then tells me she's dropping out
>Pair with some other guy
>"I'm just here to learn to make video games I dont actually know how to program"
>Challenges me on every decision I make
>In the end do the entire thing myself
>Hand it in
>A+ 100%
>Guy doesn't talk to me again

Also
>Have a job now
>Realise it only gets worse

Kill me
>>
>>54345563
Or you can make friends with non fuckups anon
>>
>>54347469
When you're in a class entirely populated by strangers and you're randomly assigned group members, it doesn't matter who you made friends with.
>>
>>54347617
I think he meant befriend the nontards in your group
>>
>>54343389
let me guess you're at an ISP and love IS-IS faggot
>>
>>54343411
OSPF is easy kill you'are sefl

whats your problem with it?
>>
>>54345176
My parents pay all the fees and I don't think scholarships would have made it any easier to get in.

Though the act of getting scholarships would probably make me look good.
>>
>>54347102
subscribe to egotistical behavior and crush them all
>>
>>54342927
>wants to work in one of the most social IT fields of all
>can't talk to people

Yup. Dead job like most of /g/, enjoy your basement "office".
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.