[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/. My desktop computer is getting old, I had it for around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
Hi /g/. My desktop computer is getting old, I had it for around 15 years, swapped a few of the broken components on the way. I'm considering renovating it (buying modern components) or alternatively buying a laptop - I have apple store credit which I can use for a MBR Pro or I can just buy some other laptop.

Why would I want to have a desktop over a laptop, considering i don't play "modern" video games, and do light video editing and some drawing? I also program a lot.

>TL;DR: why desktop over just a laptop
>>
>MBR Pro
>>
>>54340688
Prob shouldn't even mentioned it, I know how allergic /g/ is to apple products. I am not here to ask which laptop, but instead, why should I want a desktop instead of a laptop
>>
>>54340484
There should be a few thinkpad generals floating around the catalog, ask them which model has the most up-to-date specs for the best price after being refurbished.
>>
Get a desktop, better price for performence.
Laptops are usually pretty shit.

Since your computer is that old, I recommend getting something appropriate.

Get an i5 6400 and cheap motherboard.
>>
>>54340484
You have enough Apple Store credit to get a fucking MBP. Why the hell would you not?
>>
>>54340991
I have 400eur on it, traded my old iPhone in. it still costs 1k eur and I'm from a kinda poor country.

>>54340949
Hmm, I don't know how much performance I need. I'll check out the prices for the parts, ty for recommend.
>>
You've got a couple of options:
>Use Apple store credit and buy a MacBook Air
By far Apple's best option on the market, I always recommend them when I can because even though they don't have all the bells and whistles of the MacBook Pro they've got the best battery life and bang for the buck. Anything else from Apple isn't really worth it right now.

>build a new PC from scratch
there are tons of threads here on /g/ to walk you through this

>upgrade your old PC using the same case
I just love it when people do this, it's like dropping an LS1 engine into an old Camry.
>>
>>54341173
Holy shit you fucking shill, the Air is literally the worst.

The screen is absolutely fucking disgusting.
>>
>>54340761
>master boot record pro
>>
>>54341173
Does the case really matter? With my current setup I can+t even see it that much, except for the front. I also know how to build it, with my father we often repair computers, and assembling it from scratch isn't really a challenge for me.

I think i would get the macbook pro if apple. I checked them both out in a computer store nearby and I much preferred the pro.
>>
>>54341266
sry, I meant GPT Pro
>>
>>54341348
Well some people say new cases have better ventilation and of course they do, but if you keep changing your thermal paste you should be fine with your old one. Also you have to build it with Intel.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.