[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: software that changed your life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: redshift and flux.png (69 KB, 592x256) Image search: [Google]
redshift and flux.png
69 KB, 592x256
used to think I had some degree of insomnia, used to take sleeping pills, now the sleep comes very easily past midnight.
>>
>>54339459
Since I use GNU/Linux I can see through proprietary software and know that it's all malware.
Just like f.lux you fucker.
>>
X86 ASM/MASM. Got me into programming.
>>
>>54339503
>not XFree86/GNU/Linux
>>
>>54339544

>Using a GUI
>>
>>54339503
Redshift is FOSS you moron.
>>
File: 1459082632697.png (1 MB, 800x960) Image search: [Google]
1459082632697.png
1 MB, 800x960
oh fuck anon this is good shit. Thank you so much
>>
The first time I added HTTPS everywhere, unlock and umatrix was a pretty big change once I need dealt with ads and the internet just became a lot more usable.

Without constant interrupt ions by ADA work went faster and I was always less annoyed than I previously would have been
>>
>>54339459
>used to think I had some degree of insomnia, used to take sleeping pills, now the sleep comes very easily past midnight.

ITT: OP shines bright light into his eyes and wonders why he can't sleep. The rest of us just spend 5 minutes aways from screens before going to bed.
You don't need an app for that, you need to change your toxic habits
>>
Is melatonin a sleeping pill?
>>
Anyone else experience massive slowdown when f.lux activates? Core i7 + 8 GB RAM.
>>
>>54344184
I3-2350m and 6gb ram. No slowdowns even when heavy use (Firefox, deluge and osu at the same time)
>>
>>54344056
>5 minutes aways from screens before going to bed
More like a few hours.
>>
>>54344168
It's the chemical your brain uses to go to sleep, taking it won't put you to sleep but will help you sleep if you try
>>
I just don't like tools that make colors look like shit.

I'd rather have something that lowers the brightness instead of a piss yellow filter.
>>
>>54344056
something works for OP
>hurr durr you have toxic habits
there's nothing wrong with using the computer before bed, and the one issue it caused was fixed by the program
>>
>>54344505
Dimming the screen doesn't have the same effect. You're still looking at blue light.
>>
>>54344837
I'm just not sure that a yellowish screen would help me in any way honestly
>>
>>54344869
There's only one way to find out. Read some studies about the effects of blue light on melatonin production (paste that into google word for word, you'll get a ton of results) and see that it isn't just some esoteric bullshit.
>>
>>54344869
When we worked on lasers back at university we had to work in the dark. But we also had to make notes. So you use a red light lamp because then your eyes don't need to readjust to the dark.

Also, watch WWII submarine movies (namely Das Boot). Before the night watch goes on deck the light in the con is red for the same reason.

F.lux really does help. And the best thing about it is you don't even notice it's getting more red/amber because it does it gradually. Then around 1-2AM turn off f.lux and it will feel like you're staring directly at the sun.
>>
not software, but when I discovered ctrl+F
>>
I have used SunsetScreen lately over f.lux.
uMatrix is good
KeePass too
>>
>>54344869
Since I started using f.lux I have noticed I fall asleep quicker. Of course it could be placebo but even if it is, the results are still the same so I don't really care either way.
>>
thank you senpai good software, why didn't i think of this before?
>>
File: 4L_T4mHJ4dK.jpg (33 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
4L_T4mHJ4dK.jpg
33 KB, 514x536
>>54339503
>>
>>54344184
Yes Anon, i5 and 16gb, and my frames drop to 20 what meme virus have I downloaded
>>
>>54344184
>>54345414
>what meme virus have I downloaded
that's what you get for taking /g/'s advice
>>
Discovered flux thanks to /g/, couldn't live without it now in all honesty. First time is weird but now i don't notice it anymore
>>
File: Rlogo.png (78 KB, 362x275) Image search: [Google]
Rlogo.png
78 KB, 362x275
Laugh if you want, but this got me interested in programming in general.
>>
>>54339459
listeting to white noise when falling asleep really helped me.
>>
>>54345738
Did you try rain sounds? Or classical music? Both work for me.
>>
>>54345467
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
touchmousepointer.

I'm on an 8" tablet and it makes using windows desktop apps a lot easier when it comes to small menus and resizing items
>>
f.lux is a placebo. I used it for years but dropped it recently because it wasn't helping.
>>
>>54346567
Nah
>>
>>54344956
>it'll feel like you're staring at the sun
I can confirm this.
On the rare occasion I turn it off late at night my eyes burn for about 30 seconds until I'm used to all the blue coming at me.
>>
File: Windows-10-logo.jpg (42 KB, 645x484) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-logo.jpg
42 KB, 645x484
>>54339459

Pic related taught me how is like being anally gang raped :( Very unpleasant
>>
Night Shift is best.
>>
Piss filter for retards, enjoy your placebo.
>>
>>54348398
Use it at night for 15 minutes and turn it off. Enjoy the most painful experience of your life
>>
>>54344869
I have redshift make the screen orange 24/7 because it's easier on my eyes/mood
>>
redshift is glitchy. i haven't seen the icon on the menus in months. have to run it manually or add it to startup apps by hand. ffs. otherwise it was nice before this bug started, also it sometimes forgets where it is. geoclue is shit.
>>
>>54339459
f.lux is a meme though

you know what that means - you have to stop using it in order to look cool on 4chan
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.