[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with it when your family goes to you for tech help?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1460650078274.jpg (92 KB, 463x522) Image search: [Google]
1460650078274.jpg
92 KB, 463x522
How do you deal with it when your family goes to you for tech help?
>>
>>54338966
I don't know anything about computers why are you asking me?
>>
>>54338966
Actually fucking help them?
>>
>>54338966
I avoid
>>
>>54338966
Charge them for it. Tell them if anything goes wrong after, you'll charge them again. Tell them if they try and blame you for a completely unrelated problem, you'll never help them again.
>>
>>54339040
This. I might be selfish, but not so selfish that I'd refuse to give family some help when they need it.
>>
>>54338966
"is it arch, redhat or debian based"
if the answer is no then I tell them they are part of a botnet and I cant help them. how much autism do I have
>>
>>54340113
Pretty autistic DESU FAMPAI
>>
File: 1461610956809.png (212 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1461610956809.png
212 KB, 800x800
My dads tech savvy enough to do most day to day things. Or knows to google things.
He just needs some help at random times. So I help when I can.
Also whenever I come home I do virus scans and general computer maintenance.
>>
I don't cause they go to my dad instead. I'd probably do more harm than good desu.
>>
>>54338966
in early 00s it was annoying because nobody knew shit about anything
now they learned a bit and don't ask me unless it's serious
>>
File: 1389011317944.jpg (50 KB, 500x478) Image search: [Google]
1389011317944.jpg
50 KB, 500x478
Be tolorent
Don't act all fucking superior like the stuff they're trying to do is level 1 scrub shit that I do in my sleep
Be very patient as it is part of my nature
Use simple polite commands and phrases when communicating
Always have a faint smile on
Don't make them feel insecure about their lack of knowledge regarding this abstract subject (that is Computers)

And when we are successfully done - which happenes 9/10 times- I start to wonder, why weren't I raised and prepared for life using similar methods?
>>
I have a disclaimer after my repairs were blamed for new unrelated issues.

"I know what I'm doing, I know how issues arise, the chances of what I do causing new issues down the line are extremely slim"

Then I fix the issue and still get bitched at
>>
>>54342920
You're autistic
>>
If it's my brother, parents or grandparents, it's fine, I help them because they've done a lot for me, and even if they hadn't, they're decent people.

Aunts, uncles, cousins? No. They're mooches, and only ever talk to me or my parents when they need something (a ride, "borrow" money, fix something). They can start describing the problem and I'll tell them "It sounds like it's out of my field". I then direct them to my friend who does computer repair and basic network shit, and he makes a killing off them,
>>
I've been installing Ubuntu for everyone that asks me to fix their computer when they believe it has a virus. I then install whatever they used on Windows before like Skype or Chrome. If they are a gaymer then I refuse to help them because they should be able to figure it out themselves.
>>
I tell them to go fuck themselves of course, back when I was a kid I had enough bad experiences helping them to ever do it again, apparently if something else breakes after I fixed it it means it was my fault.
>>
ignore
>>
Lucky for me my parents only use their computer to browse the web and keep track of finances. I gave them Ubuntu a long time ago with excel 2010, all I have to do is update it occasionally. They never have any issues.
>>
>>54342920
Why? You were an unplanned child.
>>
I help them.

Just install Ubuntu for them you fucking autists
>>
>>54343099
How come?

>>54343386
I have very strong evidence suggesting otherwise, I don't want to go in detail but I can assure you that my birth is no accident
>>
File: turkeygor.jpg (68 KB, 300x337) Image search: [Google]
turkeygor.jpg
68 KB, 300x337
I'm too busy at work or school for them to bother me.
>>
>>54338966
You should cherish your family talking to you weeb

It's probably a very painful experience for them
>>
>>54338966
Cast a quick EXPROSION and run off
>>
>>54338966
When it is help with Windows quirks then I am fine, when my family want me to produce a business application using libraries I'm unfamiliar with for the family business then I kind of agree and then just cry.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.