[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LAVABIT SOURCE CODE RELEASED https://github.com/lavabit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: lavabit.jpg (4 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
lavabit.jpg
4 KB, 200x200
LAVABIT SOURCE CODE RELEASED

https://github.com/lavabit
>>
>>54338043
Is that bad?
>>
File: 1449911210510.jpg (41 KB, 399x444) Image search: [Google]
1449911210510.jpg
41 KB, 399x444
>>54338043
Somebody should take this and create a new site based on it...
>>
>>54338103
Lavabit shut themselves down when NSA dropped the lawhammer on them, remember?
>>
>>54338127
Oh yeah, them. It's late here. I can't into brain right now. Does this mean a resurgence of encrypted services is coming?
>>
>>54338043
wasn't the U_t working for LAvabit?
>>
>>54338124
to be honest anon the same thing may happen to whomever hosts that site
>>
>memebit
>>
Neat that they released the source, but using this to provide secure mailhosting would be stupid, it doesn't even have PFS.
>>
>>54338207
Nah, it's more likely they just secretly comply with government demands and can keep running.
>>
>>54338238
almost the same thing happened to cock.li too. why do you do this god
>>
>GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Nice, does this mean I can run my own instance of lavabit on my own server? That's pretty cool.
>>
>>54338259
Only if you make all your own modifications to the source public.
>>
>>54338264
Why would I need to do that if I only use it myself?
>>
>>54338282
You have to make the source available for anyone who's using the server. If it's a private server that only you use, only you have to have access to it.
>>
a server is not distributed
You can keep it private all you wish

GPL only applies if you ship software
>>
>>54338356
It's AGPL not GPL.

It's purpose is to close that server loophole.
>>
>>54338124
another (failed) /g project maybe
>>
>>54338207

Couldn't it just be started in Russia or some other country that couldn't give two droppings of shit what the US wants for it's mass surveilance program?
>>
>>54338443
Write a letter to Best Korea. I'm sure you'll be allowed to host it there if you mention that it would make disgusting capitalist pig country very angly.
>>
>>54338124
>>54338392
Dibs on the logo
>>
>>54338256
>cock
They already knew there were criminal implications on their server and just didn't trust vc to have handed over 'everything he had' which isn't weird considering how he handled the german govt subpoena
>>
Lol I remember this site back in 2013 when I went thru muh botnet phase

I literally deleted everything of my social accounts, got rid of my smartphone and moved all my personal email over o Lavabit

Then it got shutdown and I lost access for good lmao

Good times
>>
File: gavabit.png (1 KB, 346x500) Image search: [Google]
gavabit.png
1 KB, 346x500
>>54338531
>>54338392
>>54338124
>>
>>54339680
Thank you for solving privacy, anon.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.