[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what linux distro is the most easy to install?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 2000px-Tux.svg.png (458 KB, 2000x2320) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tux.svg.png
458 KB, 2000x2320
what linux distro is the most easy to install?
>>
File: 1439536162700.png (140 KB, 622x400) Image search: [Google]
1439536162700.png
140 KB, 622x400
>>54336685
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Ubuntu and the derivatives
>>
Ubuntu
>>
>>54336720
thanks man, so what GNU/Linux distro is the most easy to install?
>>
>>54336685
Gentoo
>>
>>54336903
not really, i tried it.

Is Debian a good distro for begginers?
>>
Gentoo and Arch are not easy. Linux from Scratch is more of a Linux from Hell for beginers. Go with a *buntu or Linux Mint. Debian with a pre-installed desktop environment should be easy enough for a beginer.
>>
>>54336920
Not really. Stick with Ubuntu until you get used to terminal. ( try to update system from there, install new software and edit configs (sudo nano/sudo vim)). After you get comfortable with it just use VM and test whatever distro you want.
>>
>>54336920

Debian has quite a few things missing from the base install that are included in Ubuntu. You can install those things and get a good experience but its going to be a pain in the ass.
>>
I recently install Mint and it was pretty simple. If you're used to using Windows than it's a good first step into Linux. But any of the Ubuntu derivatives are more consumer-oriented.

It doesn't use Unity, which is a plus too.
>>
>>54336920
>Is Debian a good distro for begginers?
Yes and no. It's not a difficult distro, but it does require you to manually set a few things. It's also somewhat stubborn about muh free drivers. Example, my laptop doesn't have an open source driver for wireless and networking, and apparently Debian can't make do with anything else, so I have to remember to save the driver onto a flash drive for if I reinstall Debian.
>>
>>54337152
i wanted to install mint, but i read that it's not really safe anymore, so i'm consider lxle now
>>
ElementaryOS, it is the best looking distro as well. Don't expect to be able to do anything with it though.
>>
>>54336920
Yes.

It's a good beginner distro because it will give you a fully functional system, but if you want non-free stuff you'll have to edit a config file or two. So you will get a peek of your operating system 'under the hood'.

I have non-free wifi drivers in my laptop and all you have to do is edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to include non-free software. Then you do apt-get update && apt-get install yournonfreedrivers

It also installs Debian stable, so if you want to be a bit more bleeding edge you can upgrade to testing. Again, this requires modifying the /etc/apt/sources.list, changing the repositories to 'testing' doing apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

Other than that I don't think there's anything else to do.

Ubuntu is the windows of the Linux world and it's a derivative of Debian. So you'd still be using Debian but a fucked up version of it.

Debian installer is simple to navigate and the only time you have to make a choice is when it asks you which desktop environment you want (I think Ubuntu defaults to whatever it wants you to use).
>>
Arch
>>
>>54337810
>>54336920
>>54337186
You can ease all those non free driver situation up by getting the version with those non free drivers/firmwares.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>>
File: fedora-logo-100528469-large.png (61 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
fedora-logo-100528469-large.png
61 KB, 580x388
>>
I installed Ubuntu without any trouble. Just click install, see it installed. End. Easier than Windows, easier than everything I've ever tried really.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160502-123124.png (305 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160502-123124.png
305 KB, 1080x1920
>>54336720
This maymay
>>
LINUX
>>
Not OP but I'm also new to linux. I installed debian on my laptop. The installation was smooth but stated that I was missing the firmware for my wifi card, so after a bit of googling I got it working.

So far everything is working nicely, what am I missing out on had I installed ubuntu instead?
>>
>>54338635
You are not really missing out on anything. The only reason some people prefer buntu over debian is that it is supposed to be easier to use.
>>
>>54336685
Arch
pacstrap /mnt base base-devel
>>
>>54337200
Their site got hacked and the hackers put up infected ISOs. The infected ISOs were on there for about a day before they were discovered and taken down
>>
>>54336685
I'd rather, hijack this thread and ask a better question.
What distro is most stable *alert alert ~ buzz word ahead ~ ~ ~ * OUTOFTHEBOX
>>
>>54339238
hahahahahahaha

(I am probably running infected OS as well anyway)
>>
>>54339253
Debian or rhel
>>
>>54339272
Do you use your real identity on this machine ? Any credit cards etc ?
If not, no one cares about your furry or manga or whatever japshit there is
>>
>>54336685
Anything except Gentoo.
Even Arch is faceroll to install if you know wiki exists.
>>
After I reverted back to Windows 7 from 10, I decided to give Linux a try. I made a live DVD of Linux Mint to try out. I booted it up and the shit looked pretty much like Windows XP. After trying it out for about 30 minutes, I clicked the install icon on the desktop and installed the fuck out of that shit
>>
>>54336685
Most of them do not install according to society's accepted definition of a fully installed computer operating system. Instead linux requires custom hand configuration, driver loading, troubleshooting, and youre really suppose to be compiling your own kernel.

I recommend something like OSX /w Windows Parallels /w Linux Mint and then reinstall parallels tools after you install Mint.
>>
>>54339351
What the fuck
>>
File: obanto.jpg (42 KB, 401x349) Image search: [Google]
obanto.jpg
42 KB, 401x349
>>54336685
Most main disros are easy to install (Obanto, Debian, Fedora, etc) but the easiest to use is Mint or any other main distro + Cinnamon.
>>
>>54336685
Ubuntu and it's derivatives
Manjaro and Antergos
Korora
>>
>>54339238
The website was hacked and the download link for the 64 bit cinnamon de iso was altered to point to a Bulgarian server.
>>
>>54336685
linux mint is the easiest I've installed so far. Doesn't need much fiddling with after installing. apt-get install ffmpeg imagemagick youtube-dl.
chrome-stable if you netflix.
>>
>>54336685

Debian minimal.
>>
>>54336920
>tried gentle before debian
>>
Gentoo was pretty easy and straightforward.
Took me a few hours but worth it
>>
>>54339147
Go Arch!
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.