[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'll be building my first PC soon. Tell me how not to fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: jebbush.jpg (35 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
jebbush.jpg
35 KB, 500x382
I'll be building my first PC soon. Tell me how not to fuck it up.

>pic unrelated
>>
File: BSTANDOFF.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
BSTANDOFF.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
Loom up tutorials and whatever you do dont fall for the people that tell you to use these they only put extra pressure on your board and make it crack faster
>>
4chan /g/ sticky needs some updates but it works well enough.

PUSH THE RAM IN. No, seriously, you're gonna have to push it in hard. Same with the cpu cooler when you're screwing it down.

Also, don't assemble it sitting down on a carpet.
>>
>>54336128
pic is totally related
if you dont build it right that is what happens
>>
>>54336345
I did the exact opposite of all of those things and I turned out fine
>>
Don't waste money on components / shit your not going to use.

I got a 6600k/32GB ram and was about to waste more money on a 980. Didn't have enough money and it would have been about two weeks so I bought a 960. I haven't maxed it out and it does everything I need +++++++++ more for $400 less
>>
File: ram-1-w628.jpg (44 KB, 628x328) Image search: [Google]
ram-1-w628.jpg
44 KB, 628x328
>Tell me how not to fuck it up.
It's very hard to fuck it up. All the parts literally only fit where they're supposed to. The only exception I can think of is the pins on the motherboard for the case buttons and shit, but that's no biggie.

If something is shaped like it should fit but doesn't, try turning it around. Plenty of things have offset notches, or notches on one side, or some other variant of that, so you can't put it in back-to-front. See pic related.

>Also, silly string makes great thermal paste! :DDD
>>
>>54336371
Max out the witcher 3 if its so awesome
>>
dont run newer versions of prime95 on haslel processors
>>
>>54336403
why

>i did this last night
>>
>>54336407
something something makes it hotter than it should something architecture

there's a post out there somewhere
>>
>>54336407
floating points man, floating points.
>>
>>54336128
Avoid AMD anything
>>
>>54336128
AMD is cheap but draws more power and needs better cooling.
Intel's FPU is faster, if you want gaymen and tons of video encoding then you should use that.
Otherwise stick to AMD, the additional energy costs over ten years are still not worth getting an Intel CPU over.
Don't fucking buy an AMD graphics card, they are cheap but their drivers are fucking awful. Especially if Windos isn't (going to be) your only OS.
>>
>>54336388
I dont play gay ass fuck gaymes. So it is fucking awesome. Like I said. Don't waste money on shit you won't use OP
>>
>>54336435
>>54336560
Don't listen to either of these retards. Do your own research and figure out what you want.

Neither amd or intel are bad. AMD does have good drivers.
>>
>>54336589
>AMD does have good drivers.
Good one!
>>
i used radeon cards before it was cool to use radeon cards.
>>
>>54336577
If you dont ay games or edit video what the hell do you need a gpu for?
>>
>>54336914
Multi monitor setup with 4k resolution.

I don't need alot but more than any on board video can give me.
>>
>>54337010
What the hell do you do with 4k?
>>
>>54336345
>>54336353
Can confirm, have to use a bit more force than usual when pushing the ram in. Be sure to screw your gpu and cpu cooler in TIGHTLY.
>>
>>54336331
I got a Fractal Define R4 and it uses these fucking things

how is it fucking acceptable for a case in this day and age to use these fucking brass standoffs? Lian-Li was doing it better than this in 1999.
>>
>>54337038
Consumer entertainment. I also run multiple browsers depending on work flow. I'm a music producer. So I need gpu for smooth performance but obviously not as much as I was going for
>>
>>54337287
What groups/bands do you produce for?
>>
>>54336128
>>54336331
i just fucked up my motherboard yesterday, be carefull with that thing, those brass stands can damage them
>>
>>54337287
Fringe darkwave/goth groups in Germany
>>
>>54336331
What's wrong with these? I've been using them since forever and never had problems or that other people had problems with them.
>>
>youtube "how to build a computer"

there are videos in the literal thousands that will show you what to do
>>
Building a computer nowadays is like assmebling LEGO. Everything fits where it should.

Just make sure you buy a motherboard with the right socket for your CPU and that your motherboard/GPU will fit into your case.

I'd tell you good luck but it has nothing to do with luck.
>>
>>54336331
Are you retarded?
If you aren't connected to ground and you don't use these, your motherboard will short out on the case.
I tried it first hand. 14 years old, building first PC for a friend. Forgot standoffs, the thing shut down immediately every time.
After learning about standoffs I tore the thing apart, put the standoffs in, assembled it and no problems since.

Use them, they come with your damned case for a reason.
>>
File: 1429567057644.gif (371 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1429567057644.gif
371 KB, 500x281
>>54336331
>>54337313
>>
>>54336128
Read the manuals. Mainly the mainboard manual.
That's literally it. Oh, it also helps to not be a mentally challenged moron.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.