[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens when ubuntu goes to windows and turns into botn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: freedom-exhib-ruared-1-700x500.jpg (69 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
freedom-exhib-ruared-1-700x500.jpg
69 KB, 700x500
What happens when ubuntu goes to windows and turns into botnet

which distro is next in line to respect my freedoms but also find my drivers?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/
>>
Ubuntu has always been terrible. Try Debian or something.
>>
>>54335984
how has it been terrible?

also i tried to install debian and couldn't get internet(noob as fuck)
>>
>>54336020
Ubuntu is missing the point of GNU/Linux, which is freedom in computing. But they aim for market share and value convenience over freedom. It's even worse; by teaching people not to care about propritary software, while selling Ubuntu with the "Freedom" buzzword, they are perverting the whole idea about free software.
>>
>>54336158
That's the point of the FSF, not of any piece of software.
>>
>>54336158
You are part right indeed. Problem is a computer with only free-as-in-freedom software is very limited from a normie point of view. Lots of missing codecs and 'funky' drivers for starters.
>>
>>54336494
Guess who's behind the FSF? GNU. Guess what Ubuntu is using? GNU.
>>
>>54336020
Well that Amazon shit for one thing
>but they took that out in 16.04!
The problem is that they ever put it there to begin with.

Ubuntu also has a huge case of not-invented-here syndrome. Tried to write Mir instead of either going to Wayland or saying "Wayland's not there, we'll stick with X". Something similar happened with init systems. They wanted their own thing that they could control, fuck the rest of the Linux world.
>>
>>54335965
Debian
>>
>>54335965
your freedoms don't deserve respect, anon.
>>
>>54336494
That's analogous to "Stopping crimes is the job of the police department, not the police officers!"
>>
>>54335965
They're bringing "Ubuntu" to Windows 10, not the other way around. To be precise, they're bringing Linux command line utilities to Windows 10, literally has nothing to do with Ubuntu other than that Canonical is involved. Don't get your hopes up on being able to run anything substantial like a window manager.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.