[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The reporter from Wired also described how people will b
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
>The reporter from Wired also described how people will be able to see robots and aliens walk through walls and stand within an office.
>This is possible because the headset designed by Magic Leap is transparent, and virtual objects are mixed into the physical environment that surrounds the user.
>This is a big difference compared to VR headsets like the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift that cover the eyes of the users and do not allow them to see anything else, and there are indications that the device could actually come with several benefits.
>One of these is that people will be able to actually touch and move the virtual objects they are seeing in the mixed reality setting by just using their hands.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/magic-leap-mr-headset-experience-could-be-similar-to-microsoft-hololens/43470.htm

Their promo videos claim that everything is legit and shot through Magic Leap but there's no way to prove that it wasn't edited with CG. What does /g/ think?
>>
>>54333503
meme-tier

VR is where it's at
>>
>>54333503
No way the earlier stuff they released wasn't CG, but the promo videos they've been realizing as of late definitely have promise.
>>
>>54333513
fuck off zuckerberger
>>
>>54333503
Fake. Headsets can barely handle VR right now. Much less scanning and mapping out actually rooms in realtime while also doing VR laid over it
>>
>>54333503
Snapchat filters do a great job with face tracking. I imagine that eventually an algorithm will decide how to fit the environment on walls and such.
>>
>>54333626
>Much less scanning and mapping out actually rooms in realtime
Pretty sure it doesn't. The actual rooms exist and are viewable in the real world
>>
>>54333686
So it just knows where to put virtual object in the real room by magic without having any idea what the room is shaped like?
AR requires the headset to be aware of the surroundings, which is usually done by scanning the room and keeping a model of them internally. I don't know where you got the retarded idea that that implies the rooms aren't real.
>>
>>54333783
>So it just knows where to put virtual object in the real room by magic without having any idea what the room is shaped like?
You are like a decade behind in room/object-scanning technology
>>
>>54333810
Tell me all about your magic method of knowing what a room is shaped like without any form of scanning anon
>>
>>54333626
>>54333783
Hololens works though.
https://youtu.be/dau506VZyz4
The only things that make Magic Leap special are """"lightfields"""" and a supposedly larger FOV than Hololens.
>>
>>54333885
>magic method
Were you in a coma anon? You don't have to store the details of an entire room to run algorithms on it
>>
>>54333979
You're continuing to fail to state the method you have of running algorithms on information you haven't gathered
>>
>>54334051
streams
>>
>>54333503
post video link
>>
>>54335603
It's on their facebook and website.
>>
>>54333503
Scam as fuck. I swear /g/ is always retarded when it comes to scams.
>>
>>54333503
>>The reporter from Wired also described how people will be able to see robots and aliens walk through walls and stand within an office.
The reporter from Wired was also fucking stoned.
>>
>Wired
>>
>>54333503
VR != AR
>>
>>54333503
Look at this image carefully, very few seem to be focused on the whale and none of the kids are jumping out their seats in fright or shock.
>>
What's it like being so intelligent that you can actually come up with groundbreaking new tech with just your brain and a pen and paper?
>>
File: this_meeting_is_over.jpg (31 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
this_meeting_is_over.jpg
31 KB, 500x361
>>54336195
>worst anime ever
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.