[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How bad is ageism in the technology industry? Is it true you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: ageism-and-geeks.jpg (30 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ageism-and-geeks.jpg
30 KB, 640x480
How bad is ageism in the technology industry? Is it true you get thrown overboard when you turn 40 in favor of younger workers?

Is age 25 too late to start learning programming and make a career out of it?
>>
Dad's 50, he's labeled as a "legacy employee" by his company. Not as in, "oh, you've been working here a long time and so you're legacy", but like " you're legacy, old man"
Kinda retarded desu, but I'm glad I'm getting into the tech industry at an earlier age than he did. He says that it's harder for him to find work so he tries to maintain his job and good relations with his company.
>>
>>54332900
>How bad is ageism in the technology industry?
not as bad as the slavery enforced on the younger workforce.

go back 15-20 years, an admins job was to know linux/bsd and windows, bash, perl and maybe C

now it's cloud stuff, windows, linux, apple, android, bash, perl, python, java, C, C++, voip etc....

young guys literally do 2-3 jobs now and get paid less by comparison - the golden days are over.

fuck working in IT these days
>>
>>54332900
Programming is seen as "grunt work" and managers just assume that all programmers aspire to graduate from programming and become managers. Basically, if you're over 40 and you haven't become a senior project manager, there's something wrong with you.
People will just start to assume your skills are outdated no matter how current your skillset is, and others will assume your age and experience command a high salary, which they don't want to deal with.
>>
>>54332900
It's not an issue because you'll make enough money to retire by 35 anyway.
>>
>>54332900

Also wondering if theres a "it's to late" age.
>>
>>54336217
/Thread
Perfect response
>>
>>54332900
> be 24
> senior developer with 6 years of business experience (worked during univ)
> team of 8
> 4 seniors, 4 mids
> they employ new person due to the workload
> 55 yo, grey haired dude joins the team
> "oh, cool. are you going to be a devops? we would need to fix some issues with our boxes"
> "oh no, I am just a junior"
> wat.png
Dude's been working in different IT sections since 1980. I wasn't even alive back then. Turns out he is a fucking moron. He complains ALL THE TIME and through last 3 months didn't submit a single change or pullrequest.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.