[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crouton On Chromebook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.jpg (798 KB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
798 KB, 3920x2204
Is anyone here using crouton? I upgraded to 16.04 (well, did a fresh install) with xfce4 and I'm finding it pretty stable. On a CB3-111. It's comfy as hell.
>>
>>54331071
i recently got a chromebook and been thinking about doing it. how much more complicated is it than installing linux on a normal windows laptop?
>>
>>54331104
10x simpler. press a couple keys and let it restart in order to go into dev mode, type something into terminal, wait, set username and password when prompted, done. much more specific guide is

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

They don't include this, but you can put a distro into the command that installs ubuntu, or it just installs 12.04 which is old. Here's what I typed to get 16.04

sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -r xenial -t xfce

You can change xfce to whatever desktop you like and xenial is the newest distro, so yeah.

To recap; go into dev mode (instructions included in my link), go into terminal (ctrl + alt + t), type what i just showed you, wait, then done!

It's really simple once you do it. (fyi this doesnt work on ARM chromebooks. you can tell if you have an arm by checking if there's an intel sticker beside the touchpad)
>>
Bump for interest. Is it worth the effort to get the install working?
>>
>>54331209
see above post, I included basically everything you need to do and the link which just gets into specifics like how to go into devmode. It's totally worth the effort. From experience, the average chromebook can run counterstrike source best if you're into gaming, and if you want libreoffice it works perfect. It also runs a tor node and firefox well.
>>
File: Screenshot - 050116 - 13:30:27.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot - 050116 - 13:30:27.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>54331209
Yes it is.

>>54331071
Really? How much space does the installation take? I have experimented with 14.04, WillyWonker but came back to 12.02 again.
Pic related. Toshiba CB2
>>
>>54331071
I bought a chromebook for cheap to be my dedicated linux machine and I agree it's super comfy. I use it more than my macbook now.

I got the C720 and installed gallium os which is a distro for chromebooks.
>>
I'm fucking pissed at my Toshiba Chromebook 2.

Z E R O linux distros support the audio out of the box, but I was expecting that. What I wasn't expecting was that ONLY Linux Mint can actually get the audio working. I really want it to work on Debian but I just can't get it. Been following this guide for Mint but it doesn't work for Debian. Fucking sucks.

https://github.com/brendenyule/NativeToshibaCB2Guide/wiki/Get-Audio-and-Hotkeys-Working
>>
>>54332343
Remove alsa, install pulseaudio, profit
>>
>>54332366
But alsa works fine in Mint,

In Debian, I can't even unload alsa in debian properly
>>
>>54332393
Also is SHITTE. I had problems with alsa on every single PC I ever used. Randomly not identifying headphones, random breaks after upgrades, not being able to stream audio through HDMI, skype breaking it's settings after alsa package updates.
apt-get purge alsa
apt-get clean
apt-get autoremove
apt-get install pulseaudio
pulseaudio -D
>>
>>54332282
holla C720

great chromebook, no problems.
>>
>>54331071
I thought Systemd didn't work well with crouton?

That's why the last stable version is some old ubuntu
>>
>>54332435
I'll give it a try, thanks mate.
>>
I put GalliumOS on an Acer Chromebook 15 and it's become my favorite computer to use.
>>
>>54331071
I have that exact setup on my cb3-111, been using it 8hr daily since November with no problems.

Nice touch: ctl-alt-shift-forward to switch between OS's on the fly. It even does a cute little spin of the screen.
>>
>>54332610
I am really surprised how well chromium works on crouton. Sometimes it feels like it's faster than chromeos browser for me. 8/10 would buy again.
>>
literally install gentoo like I am, faggit
>>
>>54332167
What's that background from?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-05-01_20-57-48.png (634 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-05-01_20-57-48.png
634 KB, 1366x768
werks gud
still using 12.04 but for the sake of a select few linux applications its good enough

hotline miami runs nice

on a cb3 aswell
>>
>>54333040
Berserk franchise.
>>
Why should I use crouton when I can install natively?
>>
>>54333455
Because ChromeOS is comfy, and getting rid of it is annoying
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.